SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 27, 2013
      Report of Walk on Sunday 21st July

      It was never likely that last Sunday's walk would have a record attendance, with the SWSW West Country holiday being on at the same time.  It was therefore pleasing that an initial cohort of eight turned up at Holmwood, for a walk being led by Peter, who just happened to live within walking distance of the start.  We therefore felt entirely comfortable that with such local knowledge Peter would not get us lost, despite the somewhat confusing maze of paths on Holmwood Common, and so it proved.  It was certainly an ideal time to be walking in this area, with the shade from the trees giving welcome relief from the increasingly hot sun, and the deep mud, which blights this area in winter, being nowhere to be seen.

      Whilst still shaded, the heat was less welcome when we crossed the main road and headed up an extremely steep path towards Coldharbour, but we took our time, and even then still managed to reach the lunchtime pub just before they opened, which surely must be an SWSW first.

      Although this was not advertised as a figure of eight walk, it could easily be adapted to be so, as was proved by Peter gaining one walker at lunch, and losing four, who opted to return back downhill and not climb to Leith Hill, although I am sure the coffee and cake there made this latter option well worthwhile.

      Many thanks to Peter for leading such an enjoyable walk.

      John Murdoch

      Next Walk

      Sunday 4th August

      Long morning (and picnic) walk (7.5 miles)

      Leaders: John and Margo

      Our meeting place:  The small car park on the green at Tilford (GR 874432), across from The Barley Mow pub (GU10 2BU)

      Start Time: 9.45 AM

      Details: A walk over varied terrain, with panoramic views from Crooksbury Hill (a sharp ascent and descent) and shady paths through old woods. Picnic lunch will be at the Waverley Abbey ruins, with a short (1.5 miles) section back for the afternoon (possible beer in the pub!). Some short sections of road are included, not ideal for dogs. Please note early start.
      Lunch: At Waverley Abbey.  No food available, so bring a picnic, and hope for nice weather!

      John Murdoch

    • Roger Adams
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 29

      Firstly, I must apologise for the delay in issuing this newletter but I have been tied up with other things recently and have only just got round to drafting it

      Walk on 19th April -  Abinger Hatch Figure of 8

      The report on this walk is attached. I have to thank Janice for leading the walk and for writing a most interesting account of it.

      25/26th April - Dorset Weekend.

      I have yet to hear about this event but undoubtedly you will get the report in the next newsletter, which will be issued by Amanda to whom I am now passing the baton of responsibility for co-ordinating and reporting on the walks over the next three months. My thanks go to Amanda for not only taking over from me but also for organising the Dorset trip.

      Forthcoming Priorsfield Quiz

      Don't forget to book in for the next quiz at Priosfield school. Pam has already sent out details and the closing date is looming fast. It is a highly enjoyable evening and at the last quiz one of the SWSW teams was just pipped to the winning post on the last round with our other team not far behind. Sadly, I won't be able to make it this time as I will be on holiday in Scotalnd - what a hard life some of us have! Nevertheless, if you haven't been along before, I urge you to try it.

      New Committee Members

      As I mentioned in one of my previous newsletters, we are looking for new blood to take over from the longer standing committee members. We cannot let the existing ones escape before we have replacements and the chains currently holding them in place are likely to break at any time. So, if you would like to join the committee, a number of us would be overjoyed to hear from you.

      Bye Bye for now

      My three months as walk co-ordinator finishes at the end of April. I would like to thank all those who have led the walks and organised events during this time. Amanda now takes over and she has already issued a provisional programme for the coming quarter, albeit with some gaps. Please support Amanda by leading walks and helping to organise events.

      Best regards,

      Roger Adams