SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 45 , May 7 2:07 PM
      Report of Walk on Sunday 5th May

      A healthy turnout of 30 walkers met up at Pirbright to join a walk led by Margo and John.  In their planning, they had taken advantage of the Bank Holiday closure of Ash Ranges to walk into the heart of the area, which is normally closed to the public on the grounds of safety, with the army generally preferring to use targets other than stray civilians.  However, some walkers were far from convinced that the ranges were actually closed as the sound of gunfire was close at times, although Margo confidently explained that it was only a clay pigeon shoot, and we should all be (reasonably) safe.

      She also promised a varied route, over some arable land, some farmland with livestock (the ears of the 4 dogs who joined us no doubt pricked up their ears at this point), and then the typical Surrey heathland of the range itself, which is very open.  We would also pass bluebells and primroses, she said, and in each and every respect she fulfilled her promise.

      The weather was kind, being pleasantly warm and dry, although clearly some walkers, judging by their attire and backpacks stuffed with waterproofs and fleeces, still retained all too vivid memories of the chilly Spring that we have endured.

      Thanks to Margo and John for leading an excellent walk, and for returning with the same 30 that started off earlier that morning.   A couple of photos taken by Paul Graber are attached.

      Next Walk

      Date:  Sunday 19th May
      Time:  10.00 am for morning walk, 2.00 pm if only joining for the afternoon
      Where:  National Trust Polesden Lacey car park, RH5 6BD, meet at far end for morning walk; car parking charge  of £2.50 for non members, redeemable against purchases of over £10 in shop or restaurant
      Walk Details:  Morning - approx. 7 miles, past the Norbury Park sawmill, which conveniently has its open day on the 19th, returning to Polesden Lacey for lunch (restaurant, café, grass for picnic)
                                Afternoon - start from café/toilets at near end of car park, approx. 5 miles
                                Both the morning and afternoon walks will include a variety of scenery with distant views such as those over London, Box Hill and the Weald if the weather allows.

      John Murdoch
    • Roger Adams
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 29, 2015

      Firstly, I must apologise for the delay in issuing this newletter but I have been tied up with other things recently and have only just got round to drafting it

      Walk on 19th April -  Abinger Hatch Figure of 8

      The report on this walk is attached. I have to thank Janice for leading the walk and for writing a most interesting account of it.

      25/26th April - Dorset Weekend.

      I have yet to hear about this event but undoubtedly you will get the report in the next newsletter, which will be issued by Amanda to whom I am now passing the baton of responsibility for co-ordinating and reporting on the walks over the next three months. My thanks go to Amanda for not only taking over from me but also for organising the Dorset trip.

      Forthcoming Priorsfield Quiz

      Don't forget to book in for the next quiz at Priosfield school. Pam has already sent out details and the closing date is looming fast. It is a highly enjoyable evening and at the last quiz one of the SWSW teams was just pipped to the winning post on the last round with our other team not far behind. Sadly, I won't be able to make it this time as I will be on holiday in Scotalnd - what a hard life some of us have! Nevertheless, if you haven't been along before, I urge you to try it.

      New Committee Members

      As I mentioned in one of my previous newsletters, we are looking for new blood to take over from the longer standing committee members. We cannot let the existing ones escape before we have replacements and the chains currently holding them in place are likely to break at any time. So, if you would like to join the committee, a number of us would be overjoyed to hear from you.

      Bye Bye for now

      My three months as walk co-ordinator finishes at the end of April. I would like to thank all those who have led the walks and organised events during this time. Amanda now takes over and she has already issued a provisional programme for the coming quarter, albeit with some gaps. Please support Amanda by leading walks and helping to organise events.

      Best regards,

      Roger Adams