SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 38 , May 7, 2013
      Report of Walk on Sunday 5th May

      A healthy turnout of 30 walkers met up at Pirbright to join a walk led by Margo and John.  In their planning, they had taken advantage of the Bank Holiday closure of Ash Ranges to walk into the heart of the area, which is normally closed to the public on the grounds of safety, with the army generally preferring to use targets other than stray civilians.  However, some walkers were far from convinced that the ranges were actually closed as the sound of gunfire was close at times, although Margo confidently explained that it was only a clay pigeon shoot, and we should all be (reasonably) safe.

      She also promised a varied route, over some arable land, some farmland with livestock (the ears of the 4 dogs who joined us no doubt pricked up their ears at this point), and then the typical Surrey heathland of the range itself, which is very open.  We would also pass bluebells and primroses, she said, and in each and every respect she fulfilled her promise.

      The weather was kind, being pleasantly warm and dry, although clearly some walkers, judging by their attire and backpacks stuffed with waterproofs and fleeces, still retained all too vivid memories of the chilly Spring that we have endured.

      Thanks to Margo and John for leading an excellent walk, and for returning with the same 30 that started off earlier that morning.   A couple of photos taken by Paul Graber are attached.

      Next Walk

      Date:  Sunday 19th May
      Time:  10.00 am for morning walk, 2.00 pm if only joining for the afternoon
      Where:  National Trust Polesden Lacey car park, RH5 6BD, meet at far end for morning walk; car parking charge  of £2.50 for non members, redeemable against purchases of over £10 in shop or restaurant
      Walk Details:  Morning - approx. 7 miles, past the Norbury Park sawmill, which conveniently has its open day on the 19th, returning to Polesden Lacey for lunch (restaurant, café, grass for picnic)
                                Afternoon - start from café/toilets at near end of car park, approx. 5 miles
                                Both the morning and afternoon walks will include a variety of scenery with distant views such as those over London, Box Hill and the Weald if the weather allows.

      John Murdoch
    • Roger Adams
      Message 38 of 38 , Feb 19 12:38 PM

      Walk report for the 15 February 2015

      22 SWSW Walkers gathered at Puttenham Common Middle Car Park for a pleasant 6 mile walk led by Jenny Page.

      A varied walk, passing through heathland, farmland and wooded areas including General's Pond and Cutmill Pond. There were good views for most of the route but it was too misty to enjoy to them to best advantage. Rainfall during the week had made the going much muddier than expected, but in true rambler fashion it did not detract from the enjoyment at all. A loose pony near Lacombe House caused a short delay in progress while it's owner tried various methods to entice it off the footpath and back into it's field. With the path cleared we set off on the last leg toward Tarn Lake and our starting point.

      A small party of eight stayed for lunch afterwards at the Jolly Farmer Harvester Restaurant.

      Many thanks to Jenny for leading this walk

      Forthcoming walks

      Currently, we have no leader for our next walk on 1st March. If no one offers before the time, I have a good walk in mind however it is around 15 miles with a number of steep hills. Very enjoyable and will get the blood flowing. If however, you would like to avoid the prospect of a strenuous Sunday please have a think about a walk that you would like to do and would be willing to lead in a week or so's time - and let me know!.

      Thereafter, Amanda is leading the walk on the 15th March and Ian on the 29th. At the moment, there is no one to lead walks on the 5th and 19th April. Volunteers are sought.

      Message from East Surrey YMCA

      We are a local charity who also enjoy walking activities and host a series of walking events in our challenge programme.  This year, we have two such events which some of your members may be interested in.

      The Trek is a 26.2m or 13.1m trek from Guildford YMCA to YMCA East Surrey via Boxhill and our biggy this year is the The Wall – a tempting 84 mile trek over 4 days along Hadrian’s Wall!  The attached flyers  give the details. The cost of the events covers all support, accommodation and transport.

      SWSW will not be organising anything in connection with these events and I'm only circulating them in case some of you may be interested in participating. If you are indeed interested in either of these, the contact at YMCA is

      Kim Roderick , Direct 01737 784978 . T 01737 779979 , M 07725 555236  www.ymcaeastsurrey.org.uk

      Hope to see you on one of our walks

      Roger