SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 44 , May 7, 2013
      Report of Walk on Sunday 5th May

      A healthy turnout of 30 walkers met up at Pirbright to join a walk led by Margo and John.  In their planning, they had taken advantage of the Bank Holiday closure of Ash Ranges to walk into the heart of the area, which is normally closed to the public on the grounds of safety, with the army generally preferring to use targets other than stray civilians.  However, some walkers were far from convinced that the ranges were actually closed as the sound of gunfire was close at times, although Margo confidently explained that it was only a clay pigeon shoot, and we should all be (reasonably) safe.

      She also promised a varied route, over some arable land, some farmland with livestock (the ears of the 4 dogs who joined us no doubt pricked up their ears at this point), and then the typical Surrey heathland of the range itself, which is very open.  We would also pass bluebells and primroses, she said, and in each and every respect she fulfilled her promise.

      The weather was kind, being pleasantly warm and dry, although clearly some walkers, judging by their attire and backpacks stuffed with waterproofs and fleeces, still retained all too vivid memories of the chilly Spring that we have endured.

      Thanks to Margo and John for leading an excellent walk, and for returning with the same 30 that started off earlier that morning.   A couple of photos taken by Paul Graber are attached.

      Next Walk

      Date:  Sunday 19th May
      Time:  10.00 am for morning walk, 2.00 pm if only joining for the afternoon
      Where:  National Trust Polesden Lacey car park, RH5 6BD, meet at far end for morning walk; car parking charge  of £2.50 for non members, redeemable against purchases of over £10 in shop or restaurant
      Walk Details:  Morning - approx. 7 miles, past the Norbury Park sawmill, which conveniently has its open day on the 19th, returning to Polesden Lacey for lunch (restaurant, café, grass for picnic)
                                Afternoon - start from café/toilets at near end of car park, approx. 5 miles
                                Both the morning and afternoon walks will include a variety of scenery with distant views such as those over London, Box Hill and the Weald if the weather allows.

      John Murdoch
    • Roger Adams
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 1 1:10 AM
        I know I sent out the SWSW newsletter giving details of the Easter Sunday walk just a few days ago but as you may be waiting for the reminder before putting it in your diary, I am sending you the details again. With two notifications within the space of a few days, I hope that Roger Smith will see a mega turnout for his walk.

        Next walk - Easter Sunday, 5 April

        Roger Smith will be leading a morning walk from Hascombe, near Godalming.  The 6 mile route takes  in Hurtwood and Hydon’s Ball. There will be some ups and downs but if the weather is clear we should be rewarded with some pleasant scenery.  the route can be muddy after rain.  Meet in the car park opposite White Horse Pub, Hascombe. Grid Ref TQ001 394 Nearest Postcode GU8 4JA. Lunch  for those that wish it will be at around 1.00  p.m. in the White Horse Pub, Hascombe . Let's hope the weather for Roger's walk will be better than that experienced on Ian's walk.

        Best regards,

        Roger Adams