SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 6, 2013
      Walk Report Sunday 3 March

      A hardy group of eight tackled the walk on Sunday 3rd and were well
      rewarded. Some baby goats were much admired though Jenny was more impressed
      by the horses - from impressive stables to all sorts of ponies. I think an
      Exmoor pony was spotted but I wouldn't know the difference. There were
      snowdrops a plenty and I think Lambs Tails, Old Man's Beard and other spring
      stuff I know as much about as horses. The views were good as was the
      exercise and of course the beer in The Good Intent, more my area of
      expertise. The return half started on the North Downs Way where the walk
      leader announced it was impossible to get lost then promptly went the wrong
      way (thanks Roger for noticing!). This was followed by a pleasant if rather
      long stop for tea and cake at the Seale Craft Centre. Most had never walked
      on the northern side of the Hogs Back and the consensus was it was a nice
      change. On arrival back at Ash, a new participant with more technical
      proficiency than the walk leader presented her GPS showing 12.3 miles, so
      longer than usual but easily managed by all.
      Hugh McKee

      Next Walk Sunday 17 March

      Leader: Mike Worthy
      Meet: 10.00 at Grayswood Village Hall GU27 2DJ, on the A286 north of Haslemere, grid reference SU918348.
      Morning: Approximately 6 miles, hilly, with climb to Gibbet Hill, excellent views; we will also visit the viewing platform for the new Hindhead Tunnel.
      Lunch: Approximately 12.30 to 13.30 at the Wheatsheaf Inn, Grayswood.
      Afternoon: If only walking in the afternoon, meet in the Wheatsheaf Inn by 13.30, although departure may be later than this, depending on how quickly lunch is served.  The afternoon route is approximately 5.5 miles, through lowland woods and grazing meadows, in the direction of Chiddingfold

      Note - thank you to Mike for volunteering to lead this walk.  It is on a day when many of the regular walkers will be in Spain, no doubt enjoying sunny weather, so it would be great if others can come along and support Mike on this walk; I am sure it will be rewarding with much variety.

      John Murdoch

    • <adams619@...>
      Message 47 of 47 , Aug 15 2:19 AM

      Report on the 6th August walk

      Margo and John led 17 SWSW members on their 6 miles walk around the Wey River and Wey Navigation. The attached photo shows the group posing in front of toadstools, pyramidal toadstools I am reliably informed. Thanks to Margo for sending me the photo and the comment “A good bunch of fairies I think”  I’m not sure if she was referring to the toadstools or the people standing behind them!

      Next walk on Sunday, 20th August

      Meeting place: Sheepleas Green Dene car park near East Horsley.  GR TQ 091509; nearest postcode KT24 5TA (not to be confused with Sheepleas Shere Road CP). From Guildford, follow the A246 towards Epsom. At East Horsley (with Horsley Towers directly in front of you) follow the bend round to the right passing a petrol station and the hotel on your left. The main road then bends to the left. At this point you can either take Chalk Lane, which is straight on before you go round the bend or you can follow the main road and take the second on the right, which is Green Dene. If you choose to take Chalk Lane, you will join Green Dene after some 1000 yards. Bear right into Green Dene and the car park is about 500 yards on your right. If you decide to follow Green Dene where it joins the A246, simply keep to the right, don’t take any road leading off to the left. The car park is just over a mile from the A246 junction

      Details: 6.5 miles. Lovely walk taking in part of the NDW, mostly through woodland (which will be welcome if this is a hot August day) but with pleasant views; generally fairly level walking but with two short sharp slopes (one towards the end is about 150m and very steep).

      Lunch: Various pubs in the area or nearby garden centre with very good cakes and we can decide on the day where we’d like to go.

      Bye-bye

      Over the past year I have been unable to make hardly any of the SWSW walks and have therefore decided that I should retire from the committee, thereby leaving room for keener members of the group to contribute to its running. The rewards of being on the committee are too great to detail here but if you would like to fill the space I have vacated, please have a word with one of the remaining committee members and they will be able to tell you all about the role.

      Although I say bye-bye, it is only to my duties on the committee. I hope to be able to join you on walks and other events in future

      Walks for September and October

      Amanda will be co-ordinating the programme for these months and will be issuing details of the walks nearer the time.

      Finally, I would like to thank all those people that have led walks during my tour of duty

      Best regards,

      Roger Adams

      Avast logo