upcoming walks for January 2013

  • Margo Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2013
      SWSW news, 1st January 2013

      Dear Walkers,

      Happy New Year to you all, I hope despite the weather you managed to get
      some fresh air over the Christmas break. Our first outing of the new year is
      led by Paul and Shirley, details below. Hope to see you then,

      Margo

      Forthcoming walk on Sunday 6th Jan 2013

      Start: 10.00 am

      Meet: outside G Live, London Road, GU1 2AA

      You can park all day in the G Live car park for £1.50, alternatively there
      is free street parking around.

      Lunch: The intention is to be back in time for an early lunch - before
      places fill up - in Guildford, where a choice of over 30 places includes
      Pizza Express (where the leaders will probably go) or The Three Pigeons pub
      - and many others.

      Taking into account the recent deluges and their impact on country walking,
      next Sunday's walk, led by Paul and Shirley Graber, will be a little
      different: based on Guildford Town Centre, and mainly on pavements or paved
      footpaths. The walk is shorter than usual, around 4.25 miles, but remember
      that Guildford IS hilly, and there will be some climbs, rewarded with fine
      views - so bring a camera if the weather looks promising. The leisurely pace
      will allow us to stop and view some of Guildford's historic sites, including
      some with a special Lewis Carroll flavour - his house, his gravestone, and
      some artwork dedicated to him. There will be one muddy patch by the River
      Wey, though if conditions underfoot deteriorate (they were acceptable on the
      recce) we will find a way of skipping it.

      Next walk on Sunday 20th Jan 2013

      Leaders John & Margo, 6.5 miles around Horsell's commons, north of Woking,
      with some interesting sites, ancient and modern.

      Lunch tbc

      .