SWSW Newsletter

  • Roger Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
      Report on the Sunday walk

      Did you turn up at 10-00 a.m. for the 9-30 start of the walk that Paul led
      in the area around Compton. Maybe you braved the elements to see the Thames
      Pageant or, more sensibly, decided that bed was the better option in view of
      the weather. Whatever the reason, you missed an enjoyable walk that
      culminated in a meal at the Harrow. Only 13 hardy SWSW walkers and one dog
      embarked on the walk that took us past an ancient Quaker graveyard and
      through the grounds of Loseley House. Despite near 100% humidity, it didn't
      actually rain although walking through wet grass ensured that we didn't
      escape bone dry. Thanks go to Paul and his electronic gismo for leading on
      this walk.

      One of the attached photos show that at least one small hamlet had put out
      the flags for our arrival whereas the other indicates a definite lack of
      coffee and cake at the traditional mid-morning stop.

      Forthcoming walks

      17 June - Roger (not me) and Jenny will be leading an 11 mile circular walk
      starting at 10:00 a.m. from Stedham Village, West Sussex GR 862224. Lunch
      will be at the Rising Sun at Milland. The route takes us from Stedham and
      passes by Iping, Chithurst, Milland and Titty Hill, a hidden corner of West
      Sussex that shows the county at it's best; good distant views, varied
      terrain, lovely wild flowers and butterflies in season, colourful gardens,
      woods and crop fields, pretty villages and churches, as well as the
      serpentine river Rother. As there is not much parking available in the
      village we will park in a layby on the A272 between Midhurst and
      Petersfield. If travelling from Midhurst, the sign for Stedham is on the
      right; immediately off the main road you will see the layby. If travelling
      from Liphook and the Hollycombe Steam Fair drive through the village,
      passing the Village green on your left, keep straight on, do not turn right
      and you will come to the layby. Jenny's contact numbers are, Home 01483
      538426 Mobile; (on the day only) 07779186376

      1 July - Barbara & Hilary will be leading a morning walk but as yet have not
      let me in on the secret as to where it will be. Watch this space for further
      details!

      Dates for the Diary

      Annual BBQ will be held on Sunday, 5 August in Bookham and will start as
      soon as everyone finishes the walk. However, we do need someone to lead the
      morning walk in the Bookham area so if you would like to put your hand up to
      do it, please contact Julie, who is co-ordinating the walks for August,
      September and October, or myself. More details nearer the time.

      Saturday, 11 August. Jenny will be organising an away-day in the Chichester
      area. Again, more details will follow nearer the time.

      Holiday, Spring 2013 in Spain. We will be organising a one week walking
      holiday in Spain in March/April next year. One date being considered is the
      week of the Denia Falles Fiesta on the 19th March (see Google for more
      information on this fiesta). We will be using a small, family run business
      in the Alicante region that comes highly recommended by Paul and Shirley,
      who were there earlier this year. Paul says "Outstanding mountain and
      coastal scenery, good days of walking (occasionally challenging, but they
      will run two walks to cater for differing abilities), some really good food
      and wine included at dinner - and Sue and Dave, (who run the holiday) are
      experienced at hosting and leading British walkers. All in all, a recipe for
      an excellent week's walking holiday." So before you start booking your
      overpriced Ramblers and HF holidays, maybe you would like to check this one
      out; www.casacarrascal.com gives a good overview of what is on offer.
      In order to assess potential numbers, I would be grateful if you would let
      me know within the next few days if you may be interested in coming; this is
      not a commitment either way however. Full details will be available within
      the next few weeks and it will be at that stage that I will be taking
      bookings.

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Roger Adams

    • Roger Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2013
        Just a quick reminder about the SWSW walk on Sunday, the details of which
        are shown below. The current weather forecast for Sunday is for ocassional
        light rain, which is a better forecast than that earlier in the week. If the
        Sunday forecast continues to improve at this rate, we should have blue skies
        and warm sunshine - no guarantees though!

        Our meeting place: National Trust Polesden Lacey car park, RH5 6BD, meet at
        far end for morning walk; car parking charge of £2.50 for non members,
        redeemable against purchases of over £10 in shop or restaurant.

        Start Time: 10:00. Morning, 2:00 Afternoon

        Details: Morning - 7 miles past the Norbury Park sawmill, which conveniently
        has its open day on the 19th, returning to Polesden Lacey for lunch.
        Afternoon - start from café/toilets at near end of car park (approx.
        5 miles).
        Both the morning and afternoon walks will include a variety of scenery with
        distant views such as those over London, Box Hill and the Weald if the
        weather allows.

        Lunch: At Polesden Lacey - choice of restaurant, café or on the grass for a
        picnic.

        Best regards,

        Roger Adams