SWSW Newsletter

  • John Murdoch
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 9, 2010
      February Half Day Walk

      Ashley was rewarded for the work he put into planning his first SWSW  walk as leader on Sunday with an excellent turnout of 33 walkers.  Those walkers were in turn rewarded by experiencing a varied route, via Friday Street and the Wotton Estate, where a waterfall, fountain, and herons were spotted.  Ashley then took us eastwards towards the Nower, before skirting Westcott to return to the Wotton  Hatch.  Ashley already knew that all was not as planned, with the pub ignoring his advice as to when we wished to eat, but he showed admirable efficiency by arranging an alternative at Gomshall, where he was joined by a number of hungry and thirsty walkers.  Thanks, Ashley, we look forward to many more routes devised by you in future.

      Walks Programme

      Sunday 21 February
      Leader: Peter Horlock    Figure of eight walk; join us for just the morning, just the afternoon, or both
      Location: Shalford Scout Hut CP, A281, opposite Shalford railway station. Grid Reference TQ 001 471
      Morning: Start time 10:00 am.  4½ miles, including Shalford Mill and Chantries view point. (may be muddy in place, particularly one set of steps)
      Lunch: Queen Victoria PH, GU4 8BY, Grid Reference TQ 002 472
      Afternoon: Start time 1:30 pm. 5 miles covering Ruins, River and Railways!

      7 Mar  Roger Adams, figure of 8

      21 March  Pam Utton, half day, Charterhouse

      4 April (Easter Day)  Paul Graber, half day

      18 April  Roger Smith, figure of 8

      Walk details are also available on the website, and more detail of each walk will be provided by regular newsletters.

      John
    • Roger Adams
      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 1 1:10 AM
        I know I sent out the SWSW newsletter giving details of the Easter Sunday walk just a few days ago but as you may be waiting for the reminder before putting it in your diary, I am sending you the details again. With two notifications within the space of a few days, I hope that Roger Smith will see a mega turnout for his walk.

        Next walk - Easter Sunday, 5 April

        Roger Smith will be leading a morning walk from Hascombe, near Godalming.  The 6 mile route takes  in Hurtwood and Hydon’s Ball. There will be some ups and downs but if the weather is clear we should be rewarded with some pleasant scenery.  the route can be muddy after rain.  Meet in the car park opposite White Horse Pub, Hascombe. Grid Ref TQ001 394 Nearest Postcode GU8 4JA. Lunch  for those that wish it will be at around 1.00  p.m. in the White Horse Pub, Hascombe . Let's hope the weather for Roger's walk will be better than that experienced on Ian's walk.

        Best regards,

        Roger Adams