SWSW Newsletter 1st September 2011

  • Paul Graber
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi South West Surrey Walkers,

      The editorial baton has been passing around your committee rather quickly this summer, and it's my turn once again to write this newsletter.

      A group of around sixteen of us enjoyed one of our rare Saturday afternoon walks last week, kindly led by Chris Partridge. Starting in the village of Shackleford, our six and (quite) a bit miler took us across the A3, towards Peper Harow and finally back to Shackleford. Blessed with cool but quite agreeable weather, we had fine views over the Surrey countryside. We followed the walk with a successful dinner at the Cyder House in Shackleford, which has recently changed hands, and seemed to making a special effort to look after us. Thanks to Chris, and as ever, we're looking for volunteers to run walks and/or socials outside of our standard Sunday mornings.

      This coming Sunday, 4th September, we have a 'conventional' walk albeit a little out of our usual area:-

      Leader: John & Margo

      Location: Runnymede Monuments and River Thames

      Start: Meet at 10:00 at the National Trust car park close to Magna Carta monument (SU995732) , south side of road. Car Park is free for National Trust members, all others £1.50 per hour. Car Share if possible!

      Route: Set off past the Kennedy Memorial, then onwards and upwards through Coopers Hill Woods to the memorial to Commonwealth Airmen and Women. This Memorial includes an excellent vantage point for views over London, if the weather is kind to us. We descend to the River Thames, and follow the towpath for a mile or so. Finally, we return across the meadows via the Runnymede Monument, where Magna Carta was agreed in 1215. Warning, includes one hill! Distance approx. 5 miles.

      Lunch: Available from the Magna Carta Tea Room by the Car Park. Sandwiches and Ploughman's Lunch available, cash sales only.

      Finally, a quick note to let you know that our recent plea for someone to join the committee has borne fruit, and we are absolutely delighted to welcome Julie Daborn to join us. For those who don't know, SWSW is run by a chairman-less committee comprising  Roger Adams, Julie Daborn, Paul Graber, John Murdoch, Jenny Page, Margo Scott and Pam Utton. If you need to get in touch with any of us, just reply to one of these newsletters and the current editor will make sure your message gets passed on as appropriate.

      Enjoy Sunday's walk!

      Paul Graber