SWSW Annual BBQ, 7 August - reminder

  • Roger Adams
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 7:31 AM
      The annual SWSW bbq will be held after the walk this weekend.

      > Meat for the BBQ will be supplied along with a few other bits and pieces
      > but everyone coming will be expected to supplement the basics by providing
      > either some form of salad (potato, rice, tomato, etc) or dessert. You
      > should also bring something to drink, a glass, plate, bowl and cutlery.
      > There is a limited number of chairs so if you can manage it, please bring
      > one along with you as well. You can drop all your things off before the
      > walk. There will be a small charge to cover the cost of the food, with any
      > surplus going into the SWSW kitty.
      >
      > Please note that although dogs are welcome on the walk, they will not be
      > allowed into the BBQ. As it is likely to be a warm day, you would be
      > advised to leave the pooch at home if you want to come to the BBQ.

      People who would like to come to the bbq but aren't able to walk beforehand
      will be welcome provided they are or have been regular walkers with SWSW.
      E-mail me to let me know you will be coming though as I need to know numbers
      by the time the walk starts.

      The walk starts from the address below at 10-00 a.m. and will end around
      1-00 p.m. when the bbq will get going.

      Directions are as follows:

      > From Guildford, take the A246 heading towards Leatherhead and Epsom. Keep
      > straight on at the traffic lights at West Clandon where the A247 from
      > Woking and the A25 from Dorking meet. The next set of traffic lights are
      > some miles further on at Effingham. At these lights, turn left, go through
      > Effingham village and then turn right at the mini-roundabout just after
      > the Douglas Haig pub. At the next mini-roundabout, go straight on and take
      > the next on the left, which is Childs Hall Road. It is very easy to miss
      > this turn as it is on a slight bend in the road; you can turn round in the
      > recreation ground car park a little further on. Go round the double bend
      > and no. 33 is on the left hand side towards the bottom of the road. For
      > those of you with sat navs, the address and post code is shown below.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Roger Adams
      > 33 Childs Hall Road, Bookham, Surrey, KT23 3QF
      > 01372 452396

    • Roger Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2012
        This Sunday's walk starts at 10-00 a.m. from the Green in Chiddingfold (Grid
        Ref: SU960354). Approximately 6 miles in length, there are superb views
        across farmland and the Surrey countryside. It passes through woods, over
        streams and lovely, undulating fields. There are several stiles but the
        walking is easy. No dogs as some cattle. The walk will end with lunch at The
        Crown. The walk is jointly led by Barbara & George (Contact on the day:
        Barbara 07709 998678).

        Hope to can make it.

        > Best regards,
        >
        > Roger Adams

      • Roger Adams
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2012
          Anna will be leading this Sunday's walk, which starts at 10-00 a.m. from
          Gomshall Station (on the A25 between Dorking and Guildford). It is a
          figure-of-eight walk with lunch at The Compasses, just down the road from
          the station. It is some 9 miles long and the afternoon section is hilly. The
          walk affords sublime views both morning and afternoon. Anna tells me fine
          weather is guaranteed (so you know who to blame if you get soaked). For
          those who find it hard to navigate to the start of the walk, Anna will have
          her mobile (07926 644999) switched on from 09-45.

          > Hope to can make it.
          >

          > Best regards,
          >
          > Roger Adams

        • Roger Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2012
            Thinking of going to see the Thames pageant this Sunday. Unless you are
            planning to camp out overnight to book your spot on the embankment or travel
            up at the crack of dawn, you would be well advised to think again. You will
            be faced with a sea of people all trying to glimpse the action and anything
            you are likely to see will be minimal. If you do manage to wrestle your way
            towards the front of the crowd, you'll have to run the gauntlet of toffee
            apples, candy floss and ice cream cones raining down on you from the hands
            of toddlers swaying precariously on their father's shoulders. Travel by car
            will be nigh impossible and travel by train in hot steamy carriages crammed
            full of various forms of humanity will be worse than purgatory.

            Far better to enjoy the tranquillity and sheer beauty of the Surrey
            countryside in Spring by joining Paul on the walk he is leading for SWSW. He
            will be revisiting one of his old favourites that he last did a couple of
            years ago. Starting at 9.30 a.m. (NOT 10-00 a.m. as usual) from the Harrow
            in Compton, the 5.2 mile walk takes in Loseley and Farncombe. There will be
            a generous break at Loseley for mid morning coffee, buns, etc., which you
            will have to provide for yourselves, and we will be sitting down for lunch
            at The Harrow by 12.30. Only 5.2 miles! Not worth getting out of bed for, I
            hear some of you cry. Well don't forget to factor in the stimulating company
            and excellent conversation en-route, not to mention the fine food at The
            Harrow (if it's not as fine as you expected, you can always take your
            revenge via Trip Advisor).

            The Harrow is on the (main) Street at Compton, GU3 1EG. There's plenty of
            on-street parking around, and non-diners should not park in the pub car
            park; diners can if they so choose. In case of difficulty or for further
            information, you can contact Paul on his mobile - 07971 885905;

            > Best regards,
            >
            > Roger Adams

          • Roger Adams
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2012
              Report on the Sunday walk

              Did you turn up at 10-00 a.m. for the 9-30 start of the walk that Paul led
              in the area around Compton. Maybe you braved the elements to see the Thames
              Pageant or, more sensibly, decided that bed was the better option in view of
              the weather. Whatever the reason, you missed an enjoyable walk that
              culminated in a meal at the Harrow. Only 13 hardy SWSW walkers and one dog
              embarked on the walk that took us past an ancient Quaker graveyard and
              through the grounds of Loseley House. Despite near 100% humidity, it didn't
              actually rain although walking through wet grass ensured that we didn't
              escape bone dry. Thanks go to Paul and his electronic gismo for leading on
              this walk.

              One of the attached photos show that at least one small hamlet had put out
              the flags for our arrival whereas the other indicates a definite lack of
              coffee and cake at the traditional mid-morning stop.

              Forthcoming walks

              17 June - Roger (not me) and Jenny will be leading an 11 mile circular walk
              starting at 10:00 a.m. from Stedham Village, West Sussex GR 862224. Lunch
              will be at the Rising Sun at Milland. The route takes us from Stedham and
              passes by Iping, Chithurst, Milland and Titty Hill, a hidden corner of West
              Sussex that shows the county at it's best; good distant views, varied
              terrain, lovely wild flowers and butterflies in season, colourful gardens,
              woods and crop fields, pretty villages and churches, as well as the
              serpentine river Rother. As there is not much parking available in the
              village we will park in a layby on the A272 between Midhurst and
              Petersfield. If travelling from Midhurst, the sign for Stedham is on the
              right; immediately off the main road you will see the layby. If travelling
              from Liphook and the Hollycombe Steam Fair drive through the village,
              passing the Village green on your left, keep straight on, do not turn right
              and you will come to the layby. Jenny's contact numbers are, Home 01483
              538426 Mobile; (on the day only) 07779186376

              1 July - Barbara & Hilary will be leading a morning walk but as yet have not
              let me in on the secret as to where it will be. Watch this space for further
              details!

              Dates for the Diary

              Annual BBQ will be held on Sunday, 5 August in Bookham and will start as
              soon as everyone finishes the walk. However, we do need someone to lead the
              morning walk in the Bookham area so if you would like to put your hand up to
              do it, please contact Julie, who is co-ordinating the walks for August,
              September and October, or myself. More details nearer the time.

              Saturday, 11 August. Jenny will be organising an away-day in the Chichester
              area. Again, more details will follow nearer the time.

              Holiday, Spring 2013 in Spain. We will be organising a one week walking
              holiday in Spain in March/April next year. One date being considered is the
              week of the Denia Falles Fiesta on the 19th March (see Google for more
              information on this fiesta). We will be using a small, family run business
              in the Alicante region that comes highly recommended by Paul and Shirley,
              who were there earlier this year. Paul says "Outstanding mountain and
              coastal scenery, good days of walking (occasionally challenging, but they
              will run two walks to cater for differing abilities), some really good food
              and wine included at dinner - and Sue and Dave, (who run the holiday) are
              experienced at hosting and leading British walkers. All in all, a recipe for
              an excellent week's walking holiday." So before you start booking your
              overpriced Ramblers and HF holidays, maybe you would like to check this one
              out; www.casacarrascal.com gives a good overview of what is on offer.
              In order to assess potential numbers, I would be grateful if you would let
              me know within the next few days if you may be interested in coming; this is
              not a commitment either way however. Full details will be available within
              the next few weeks and it will be at that stage that I will be taking
              bookings.

              > Best regards,
              >
              > Roger Adams

            • Roger Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2013
                Just a quick reminder about the SWSW walk on Sunday, the details of which
                are shown below. The current weather forecast for Sunday is for ocassional
                light rain, which is a better forecast than that earlier in the week. If the
                Sunday forecast continues to improve at this rate, we should have blue skies
                and warm sunshine - no guarantees though!

                Our meeting place: National Trust Polesden Lacey car park, RH5 6BD, meet at
                far end for morning walk; car parking charge of £2.50 for non members,
                redeemable against purchases of over £10 in shop or restaurant.

                Start Time: 10:00. Morning, 2:00 Afternoon

                Details: Morning - 7 miles past the Norbury Park sawmill, which conveniently
                has its open day on the 19th, returning to Polesden Lacey for lunch.
                Afternoon - start from café/toilets at near end of car park (approx.
                5 miles).
                Both the morning and afternoon walks will include a variety of scenery with
                distant views such as those over London, Box Hill and the Weald if the
                weather allows.

                Lunch: At Polesden Lacey - choice of restaurant, café or on the grass for a
                picnic.

                Best regards,

                Roger Adams