South West Surrey Walkers - Mini-newsletter

  • Paul Graber
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Hi everyone

      Just two things - a reminder of next Sunday's walk:-

      Location: Shamley Green. Leader:Roger Smith
      Start: 10:00 AM

      Meet on the green nearest to the Bricklayers Arms, Shamley Green (B2128). Grid Reference TQ033436. Nearest post code GU5 OUA. Please park in the side roads around the village greens. 5 mile circuit out to Blackheath and back to Shamley Green for lunch at the Bricklayers Arms.  A mixture of farmland, woodland and heath. Generally easy going with 2 or 3 steepish but short ascents.

      And an update on Roger Adams' forthcoming Snowdonia holiday:-

      WALKING HOLIDAY IN SNOWDONIA - week beginning 27 August.

      Several people who have tried to book in with the Glan Aber Hotel in Betws y Coed  have been quoted prices far higher than those negotiated. When booking, it is important to contact Alison at the hotel on 01690 710325, mentioning my name (Roger Adams) and our trip. If you have problems in booking, please let me know and I will try to sort it out. Otherwise, I will let you know of other B&B's in the area. Remember to let me know by e-mail when you have booked your accommodation.

      North Wales is an ideal holiday spot, with some of the most dramatic mountain scenery south of the Scottish Highlands. It is also littered with castles, narrow gauge railways, fine beaches and many other diverse attractions. I will be doing a variety of walks and anyone is welcome to join me; those folk wanting to do some of the more hairy routes will need to find a leader with a better head for heights than me though. The walks will be dependent on the weather as well as people’s abilities. August / September is generally one of the better times of the year in the mountains so we should be able to get to the top of Snowdon and the many other spectacular peaks in the area (if you don't want to walk up Snowdon, you can always catch the train!). In addition there are many shorter, low level walks with superb mountain views.

      We will be staying in Betws y Coed, a pretty little village situated in the Conway valley. As well as the mountains being close by, Conway with its castle is a few miles downstream and Llandudno a little beyond that. In the opposite direction are the slate mines of Blaenau Ffestiniog and the cute little narrow gauge railway that runs down to the sea at Portmadog. Further afield but still within easy striking distance are the castles at Caernarfon and Harlech, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis italianate village of Portmeirion and the sandy beaches of the Lleyn Peninsula. Lots to do if you fancy a day or two away from the mountains!

      We will be staying at the Glan Aber Hotel (Holyhead Road, Betws-y-Coed, Conwy, LL24 0AB), which is situated in the heart of the village. The cost for B&B is £280 pp for the week, a discount on their published price. For those who would like to save a few pennies and yet have a comfortable room, the hotel has a very posh bunkhouse, (i.e. a two tier bunk rather than two beds per room) the price for which is £154 B&B pppw. Being the bank holiday week will mean that the hotel will get booked up quickly from now on so you should book as soon as possible otherwise you may find all the accommodation taken. Furthermore, there is a limited number of single rooms so if you wish to have one of these, you would be well advised to grab them before anyone else does (price is not based on whether you have a single room to yourself or share a twin or double; you will however have to pay extra if you have a twin or double to yourself). The hotel can supply packed lunches and evening meals. Further information on the hotel can be found at www.glanaberhotel.co.uk

      Roger Adams
      33 Childs Hall Road, Bookham, Surrey, KT23 3QF
      01372 452396

      That's all for now.
      Paul Graber