SWSW newsletter 5th April 2011

  • Margo Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2011
      South West Surrey Walkers -Newsletter 5th April 2011

      In this newsletter: recent and future walks, holiday report and news, and a
      date for your diaries in August.

      Morning Walk, Sun 3rd April.

      SWSW Walkers were blessed with perfect weather on Sunday the 3rd April for
      a walk of 6 3/4 miles starting at Newlands Corner Surrey.12 regular walkers
      and 4 newcomers set off in the direction of the North Downs Way across open
      downland with lovely views across the valley. A downhill path brought us to
      White Lane and the beginning of uphill climb to St Martha's Church perched
      on top of the hill. The site lies on the Pilgrims way and featured briefly
      in the 1944 film A Canterbury Tale. Victorian built, although parts of the
      structure have existed since the 12th century.

      A welcome downhill path through pine trees led us into the Chantries
      woodland followed by open fields with views toward Chilworth passing the
      derelict Chilworth Gun Powder Mills; gun powder production began here as
      early as 1626 and ceased in the 1920's.

      At last, following a Winter that seemed to go on for ever signs of spring
      was evident everywhere, wild violets and celandines in abundance with the
      promise of Bluebells to come. Returning to the start point through the
      beautiful varied and undulating countryside of the Tilling Bourne Valley - a
      bit hilly but the good company and lovely views more than made up for it.

      3 of us stayed for well-earned refreshments afterwards in The Barn cafe.

      [The editor has it on record that some walkers thought 'extremely
      undulating' would be more accurate! - but still very enjoyable thanks Jenny]

      New Forest Weekend

      21 SWSW members enjoyed a long weekend in the New forest from 1st -3rd
      April, centred at the Moorhill House Hotel in Burley, which looked after us
      very well. It was a great location for a walking weekend, and we managed to
      have 3 quite different walks. We will try and post some photos on the web
      site.

      On Friday the 14 of us who could get away from work early met for lunch at
      the tiny Royal Oak Pub in the village of Fritham. We then walked across
      Fritham plains with views over open parts of the forest and some nice
      Inclosures.

      Saturday was led by John Murdoch, with a varied and pretty walk near
      Brockenhurst, featuring moorland, the Oberwater, a classic new Forest
      stream, and after skirting Brockenhurst, a wooded nature reserve. John did
      not want us to be bored, so arranged an interesting river crossing for our
      entertainment in the absence of a conventional bridge (see the photos).
      After 9 miles we were very ready for a good lunch at the Hobler in Boldre,
      with ooh factor provided by the new lambs. John had been persuaded down from
      a suggested 14 miles to a promised 11.75. Obviously a degree of economy with
      the truth there, as a variety of electronic devices clocked over 13 miles..
      We thoroughly enjoyed the walk though, and quite a few were pleasantly
      surprised to realise they could cope with a longer distance. Thanks John.

      Sunday morning was spent mostly in mature wooded Inclosures, quite different
      in character to Saturdays walk. We finished along Mill Brook and across
      Burley Lawn, before returning to the White Buck in Burley for lunch. We
      walked 7.5 miles. The walk leader's length was accurate this time, but some
      people disputed the promise of 'all downhill from now' made at the half way
      stage. Admittedly there were a few undulations, but probably fewer than
      those left in Surrey were experiencing!

      The New Forest was not much over an hour's drive for all of us, and would be
      a definite possible location for a future day walk and picnic. Watch this
      space!

      New Forest wild life:

      Streams, and different methods of crossing them:

      FUTURE EVENTS

      Morning Walk, Sun 17th April

      6¾ miles, Starting from Godalming, walking through Charterhouse, Hurtmore,
      Shackleford, Peperharow and Eashing, with the opportunity to walk a route
      which includes a very attractive section not available to the public,
      passing through the grounds of Charterhouse School.

      Leader Pam Utton

      Start time 10.00pm

      Parking: Crown Court car park, The Burys, Godalming, which is just along
      from the council offices (GU7 1HR) and behind the Jack Philips pub. Ref: GR
      972441

      Lunch: the Jack Philips (we are not able to book tables but it is a large
      Weatherspoons pub Info here
      <http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-jack-phillips> so there
      shouldn't be any problems).

      Quiz, Wednesday 20th April

      Meet in the Plough at 8-00 p.m. to be sure of getting a seat. To get there,
      Google the Plough, Cheapside (corner of South Road), Horsell, Woking, GU21
      4JL . All Welcome, the emphasis is on fun more than winning, though we do
      our best! Contact Margo 01483 767546

      Morning Walk Sun 1st May

      Leader: Alison Bright 01932 221378

      Start at 10 am.

      The route includes Wisley Common and the Wey Navigation Canal and passes a
      tumulus, Byfleet Manor House, Wisley Church, Ockham Mill and the RHS Gardens
      Wisley.

      Distance 6 miles. Parking and Lunch: Details to follow.

      Morning Walk Sun 15th May

      Figure of Eight from Gomshall led by Anna Cooper. Details to follow

      A DATE FOR THE DIARY

      Put the 3rd Sunday in August in your diary now - SWSW are having a summer
      picnic, with a trip to London to walk the Royal Parks

      Walk Leading from May onwards

      From May, I will be handing over the walk schedule to Paul Graber, followed
      by John Murdoch in August. We are always looking for new leaders, to take
      the pressure off the regulars. You do not have to be expert, and anyone keen
      to try but a bit uncertain should contact the organisers, as we will be
      happy to help with recces and planning. Paul and John would be delighted to
      hear from any prospective walk leaders. Many thanks to Anna and Alison, who
      have already volunteered.

      All the best, happy walking, Margo

      HOLIDAYS

      SNOWDONIA Spaces are starting to go on this holiday, so contact Roger or
      the hotel for details or to book. Roger's details of the trip below:

      I am organising a trip for South West Surrey Walkers to Snowdonia for the
      week beginning 27 August.

      North Wales is an ideal holiday spot, with some of the most dramatic
      mountain scenery south of the Scottish Highlands. It is also littered with
      castles, narrow gauge railways, fine beaches and many other diverse
      attractions. I will be doing a variety of walks and anyone is welcome to
      join me; those folk wanting to do some of the more hairy routes will need to
      find a leader with a better head for heights than me though. The walks will
      be dependent on the weather as well as people's abilities. August /
      September is generally one of the better times of the year in the mountains
      so we should be able to get to the top of Snowdon and the many other
      spectacular peaks in the area (if you don't want to walk up Snowdon, you can
      always catch the train!). In addition there are many shorter, low level
      walks with superb mountain views.

      We will be staying in Betws y Coed, a pretty little village situated in the
      Conway valley. As well as the mountains being close by, Conway with its
      castle is a few miles downstream and Llandudno a little beyond that. In the
      opposite direction are the slate mines of Blaenau Ffestiniog and the cute
      little narrow gauge railway that runs down to the sea at Portmadog. Further
      afield but still within easy striking distance are the castles at Caernarfon
      and Harlech, Sir Clough Williams-Ellis italianate village of Portmeirion and
      the sandy beaches of the Lleyn Peninsula. Lots to do if you fancy a day or
      two away from the mountains!

      We will be staying at the Gwesty Glan Aber Hotel (Holyhead Road,
      Betws-y-Coed, Conwy, LL24 0AB), which is situated in the heart of the
      village. The cost for B&B is £280 pp for the week, a discount on their
      published price. For those who would like to save a few pennies and yet have
      a comfortable room, the hotel has a very posh bunkhouse, (i.e. a two tier
      bunk rather than two beds per room) the price for which is £154 B&B pppw.
      Being the bank holiday week will mean that the hotel will get booked up
      quickly from now on so you should book as soon as possible otherwise you may
      find all the accommodation taken. Furthermore, there is a limited number of
      single rooms so if you wish to have one of these, you would be well advised
      to grab them before anyone else does (price is not based on whether you have
      a single room to yourself or share a twin or double; you will however have
      to pay extra if you have a twin or double to yourself). The hotel can supply
      packed lunches and evening meals. Further information on the hotel can be
      found at www.glanaberhotel.co.uk

      To book, please contact Alison at the hotel on 01690 710325, mentioning my
      name and our trip. When you have booked your accommodation, please let me
      know by e-mail.

      Best regards, Roger Adams 01372 452396

      All the best, happy walking, Margo