281SWSW Isle of Wight Walk 21 Sept 2013

  • Pam Utton
    Sep 15 6:14 AM

      We are trying to get an idea of how many members will be walking with us on the Isle of Wight this Saturday.
      If you are intending to walk, please can you reply to this email.
      Many Thanks
      Pam

      Dear Members

      As promised, the following are the full details for the South West Surrey walkers day walk on the Isle of Wight which will be lead by Jennie Froy. Jennie's  contact number on the day is: 07711 454092.

      Kind Regards
      Jenny

      Isle of Wight Walk, Saturday 21st September 2013. Starts10:15 am, Lake Railway Station.

      This walk visits the NE of the island, using the Island Railway from Ryde Pier. We start from Lake Station which is near the coast path. The route takes us to Sandown, Culver Down, Foreland, Bembridge Harbour and Brading with some beach walking.
      We will stop for lunch at Bembridge. Bring sandwiches or there is a café called Lifeboat View Café (01983 875568), although cannot guarantee it will be open. There is the option of “Fish’n Chips” at the Long John Eatery in Ryde on the return journey, very good value!
      Travel details: – you can travel any way you want since the official start of walk is Lake Station IOW, and it ends Brading station IOW.
      Train and Fastcat ferry from Portsmouth Harbour is very quick and easy:-
      Some examples of trains are:
      • The fast train is 08:04 Guildford, 08:21 Haslemere, arrives Portsmouth Harbour 09:07.
      • Connecting train is 07:59 Farncombe, 08:02 Godalming, 08:06 Milford, 08:10 Milford.  Change to fast train at Haslemere 08:17.
      • Pick up same train from Peterfield at 08:30
      • Any suitable train to Portsmouth harbour to arrive in time for FastCat at 09:15.
      • FastCat Portsmouth Harbour 09:15 arr. Ryde Pier 09:37.
      • Island Railway from Ryde Pier 09:44 arr. Lake 10:02.
      It is essential to book your return ticket from your home station to Lake IOW - there is not enough time to buy separate ferry tickets at Portsmouth Harbour where frequently there are long queues. It may be cheapest to travel in a group of four for the trains, but the four must be travelling together at all times.  Please allow ample time for buying tickets - particularly at those stations with ticket operated barriers.
      The Fish&Chips will be in Long John’s Eatery across the road from Ryde Esplanade station.
       Leaving Brading/Ryde in your own time: e.g., Fastcat at 18:45, expect to be back at Haslemere 20:00 or Guildford 20:15. (later for intermediate stations).
      Previously next ferry has been 19:15.
      You MUST please check all trains and ferry times yourselves for the outward journey.
      And can travel by any other means to get to Lake for the 10:15 start.
      Contingent plan if you miss the 09:15 FastCat/Lake 10:15 start.
      From Lake, the route will go along the coast path to Sandown promenade where we plan to stop for a coffee break – there are several coffee shops here. We will be in Sandown for around 45 mins to allow time for everyone to get coffee, use facilities and look around. Leaving here around 11:15.  Anyone missing the 09:15 FastCat should catch the next one at 09:40. This gets you in to Ryde Pier Head at 10:02 in time to catch the Island Line train at 10:07. GET OFF AT SANDOWN (Approx 10:25) and walk to the sea front.
      We will be meeting at the far North Eastern end of the Prom near some public toilets.

      Jennie Froy