See Me Save Me:campaign for an EU declaration for HGV to fit sensors and cameras

  • concrete_cyclist
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2011
      An appeal by Kate Cairns:
      Two years ago on Thursday 5th February 2009 my sister Eilidh, was run
      down by a tipper lorry in Notting Hill Gate whilst cycling to work. She
      died 2 hours later. She was 30. She was a strong experienced cyclist,
      commuting a 20mile round trip daily.

      The coroner concluded that it was more likely than not Eilidh was ahead
      of the lorry, that she was available to be seen by the driver, and that
      the front offside bumper of the lorry made contact with the rear wheel
      of the cycle, causing it to fall and Eilidh to be caught up in the
      wheels.

      Last year the driver pleaded guilty to driving with uncorrected
      defective vision and was given 3 points and a £200 fine. He said he did
      not see her. He is still driving his truck.

      Heavy Goods Vehicles count for 45% of all London cyclist deaths but
      make up only 5% of road traffic. Across Europe 4000 people, mostly
      unprotected road users such as cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians
      are killed each because of HGV blind spots.

      Our local Member of European Parliament is proposing a change to EU
      legislation to have HGVs fitted with sensors and cameras to remove
      their blind spots with Written Declaration 81.

      We have a ready-made letter, which is translated, along with the actual
      WD, into all 23 languages across the EU. (Contact me if you cant find
      the link to your language)

      1.    PLEASE email the letter to ALL of your MEPs ASAP. It will take less
      than 2 minutes. We have a link to the letter, and to your MEPs.

      In order to be effective this declaration needs to be signed by half of
      the 736 MEPs. There are only 72 MEPs in the UK.

      2.    PLEASE forward this email to as many contacts as possible far and
      wide across Europe. Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark,
      Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Greece, Spain,  France, Italy, Cyprus,
      Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, Netherlands, Austria,
      Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Finland, Sweden

      The WD lapses in less than 2 weeks on Wed 16th Feb.  Please act
      swiftly.

      If you want to do more:

      3.    PLEASE come to Strasbourg for 15th and/or 16th Feb to lobby MEPs as
      they go into the session.

      We are taking Eurostar on Monday 14th Feb, returning Wednesday 16th
      Feb.

      4.    PLEASE come to Hyde Park Corner 11.30-12.30 on Monday 14th Feb, for
      a media event, before we leave for Strasbourg

      All the links are here www.eilidhcairns.com/campaign
      We really
      appreciate 3 minutes of your time to do 1 and 2. It can help save
      lives. Lives that are cherished and sorely lost.

      Apologies for any cross-posting.

      Kate Cairns