Another cyclist fatality in SE1

  • Charlie
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
      A cyclist was killed this morning in Weston St. Run over by a large tipper lorry.

      Transport for London have published their Cycle Safety Action Plan due to appear on their website later today:
      www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/13382

      Their new cinema ad is also out
      http://www.dothetest.co.uk/bankjob.html
    • Oliver
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
        Brief SE1 coverage here:

        http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4401

        This is tragic. I cycle this route every morning - with the exception of this morning when I avoided it to try a slightly different route (to get around the terrible potholes on Stainer street).

        The junction is narrow and suffers from poor visibility. And Weston street is effectively one way heading north due to parked cars - which doesn't stop vans, taxis, and HGVs hurtling through. Travelling south - with the majority of the traffic - is usually fine, but going North from Snowsfield is quite dangerous in the mornings, as it is fairly busy. And it is only this short section of the road which is so perilous.

        A part of me thinks that the increase in traffic (and danger) on the road is due to the one way system on St Thomas street (by the entrance to the Shard) which forces traffic either onto Tooley street, or down Weston street going south.

        --- In southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie" <charlie@...> wrote:

        > A cyclist was killed this morning in Weston St. Run over by a large tipper lorry.
        >
        > Transport for London have published their Cycle Safety Action Plan due to appear on their website later today:
        > www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/13382
        >

        > Their new cinema ad is also out
        > http://www.dothetest.co.uk/bankjob.html

      • Barry Mason
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
          I was at Woolwich Arsenal this morning for Greenwich Council's press
          launch of their not finished £6m remake of General Gordon Square etc
          when a text arrived with this appalling news. So I called Southwark
          News. They got back to me saying that the landlord of The Rose pub at
          the Weston Street/Snowsfields junction, right on the scene, said it was
          a young woman who'd been killed. Any more speculation is pointless until
          facts clarify.

          What is certain that it was Keltbray lorry LB08 JZR, with no side guards
          fitted.

          It's almost certain that the lorry was one of the fleet servicing The
          Shard site on St Thomas's Street. Those lorries aren't supposed to use
          little local roads like Weston Street etc...that's part of the site
          management plan. But local people, I hear today, say that more and more
          Shard lorries are doing just that, especially at night.

          So I called into Sellar Developments around 1.30pm today (area taped off
          but lorry and bike still there) and they got the Project Managing
          Director of London Bridge Quarter, Bernard Ainsworth, out of a meeting
          to talk to me. We were both very clear that facts weren't yet
          established but he's now checking about their Keltbray lorries and
          routes etc. And will get back to me. He was excellent.

          The Keltbray lorry in question certainly didn't have side guards and I
          don't yet know if it was otherwise as well equipped as this Keltbray
          demonstrator:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUI7_l0Ofug

          We'll of course discuss further actions tomorrow evening.

          And Bernard Ainsworth is very aware at the Shard's shortage of bike
          parking..."we have been tasked to look at it".

          Barry
          07905 889 005

          Oliver wrote:

          > Brief SE1 coverage here:
          >
          > http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4401
          > <http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4401>
          >
          > This is tragic. I cycle this route every morning - with the exception of
          > this morning when I avoided it to try a slightly different route (to get
          > around the terrible potholes on Stainer street).
          >
          > The junction is narrow and suffers from poor visibility. And Weston
          > street is effectively one way heading north due to parked cars - which
          > doesn't stop vans, taxis, and HGVs hurtling through. Travelling south -
          > with the majority of the traffic - is usually fine, but going North from
          > Snowsfield is quite dangerous in the mornings, as it is fairly busy. And
          > it is only this short section of the road which is so perilous.
          >
          > A part of me thinks that the increase in traffic (and danger) on the
          > road is due to the one way system on St Thomas street (by the entrance
          > to the Shard) which forces traffic either onto Tooley street, or down
          > Weston street going south.
          >
          > --- In southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:southwarkcyclists%40yahoogroups.com>, "Charlie" <charlie@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > A cyclist was killed this morning in Weston St. Run over by a large
          > tipper lorry.
          > >
          > > Transport for London have published their Cycle Safety Action Plan
          > due to appear on their website later today:
          > > www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/13382
          > >

          > > Their new cinema ad is also out
          > > http://www.dothetest.co.uk/bankjob.html
          > <http://www.dothetest.co.uk/bankjob.html>

        • Vivian McClew
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
            Another tipper lorry!! Is it the way they drive or something?

            I'm not familiar with these streets, but google's streetview showed me
            very narrow streets. Are lorries allowed there?

            Vivian
            ---
            "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in
            school". No Surrender

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 9, 2010
              That's so sad, quite a few flowers there already outside the Rose pub. This morning I passed just after it happened, but nobody told me what was going on.

              I use that route every morning, too and have had a lot of problems with traffic travelling South with me going North in the morning.

              In my experience a lot of traffic going South, coming off St Thomas Street seem to assume that it's a one-way street, treating me like I'm just cheating. I have had a lot of problems with Kelbray Tippers coming towards me exactly there, and having one of those coming towards you on Weston Street means there is nowhere to go except the pavement.

              It's the first time I hear that they might not be allowed down roads like that, I always assumed they can do what they want.

              My thoughts are with her family

              Caspar

              --
              rhiza web works www.rhiza.co.uk
              OHM www.oralhistorymatters.co.uk

              www.casparbelow.com
            • ann warren
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                Vivian

                The drivers of skip lorries are paid by the load, so the faster they drive the more they get paid.

                Ann

                To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com

                This is tragic. I cycle this route every morning - with the exception of
                this morning when I avoided it to try a slightly different route (to get
                around the terrible potholes on Stainer street).

                The junction is narrow and suffers from poor visibility. And Weston
                street is effectively one way heading north due to parked cars - which
                doesn't stop vans, taxis, and HGVs hurtling through. Travelling south -
                with the majority of the traffic - is usually fine, but going North from
                Snowsfield is quite dangerous in the mornings, as it is fairly busy. And
                it is only this short section of the road which is so perilous.

                A part of me thinks that the increase in traffic (and danger) on the
                road is due to the one way system on St Thomas street (by the entrance
                to the Shard) which forces traffic either onto Tooley street, or down
                Weston street going south.

                Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
              • Sally Eva
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                  I wondered if they were also highly powered to carry large loads when
                  full but were travelling empty 50% of the time. Plus I wondered if their
                  licensing needed to be upgraded ie perhaps they should have more
                  difficult-to-get licenses. One would need statistics to show the need
                  for change. Over-riders on the acceleration would be good ie max speed
                  and acceleration.
                  Sally

                  ann warren wrote:

                  > Vivian
                  >
                  > The drivers of skip lorries are paid by the load, so the faster they
                  > drive the more they get paid.
                  >
                  > Ann

                  > To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: vmcclew@...
                  > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:01:49 +0000
                  > Subject: RE: [Southwark Cyclists] Re: Another cyclist fatality in SE1
                  >

                  > Another tipper lorry!! Is it the way they drive or something?
                  >
                  > I'm not familiar with these streets, but google's streetview showed me
                  > very narrow streets. Are lorries allowed there?
                  >
                  > Vivian
                  > ---
                  > "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in
                  > school". No Surrender

                • Caspar Below
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                    I know drivers of skip lorriers are paid by the load. Is it the same for tipper lorries?

                    In this case it was definetly a tipper lorry ( I saw it)

                    Caspar

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                      The statistics are clear enough. While the casualty rate for every other type of crash has declined dramatically over 20 years, the killing of cyclists by lorries had not improved.
                      The lorries have got bigger. They have got much higher, so the view of the road is restricted. They are almost twice as powerful, due to revised regulations. They are very much easier to drive with power steering, good brakes and easy gears.
                      While the training of drivers has become longer and more complex the basic skills have become easier to achieve. There needs to be a complete re-think of how we train these drivers before letting them loose.

                      Following another lorry x cyclist death in Hackney this morning Jenny Jones has asked on Twitter "why not ban lorries at morning peak?"

                      --- In southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com, Sally Eva <bobsallyeva@...> wrote:

                      > I wondered if they were also highly powered to carry large loads when
                      > full but were travelling empty 50% of the time. Plus I wondered if their
                      > licensing needed to be upgraded ie perhaps they should have more
                      > difficult-to-get licenses. One would need statistics to show the need
                      > for change. Over-riders on the acceleration would be good ie max speed
                      > and acceleration.
                      > Sally
                      >
                      > ann warren wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Vivian
                      > >
                      > > The drivers of skip lorries are paid by the load, so the faster they
                      > > drive the more they get paid.
                      > >
                      > > Ann

                      > > To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                      > > From: vmcclew@...
                      > > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:01:49 +0000
                      > > Subject: RE: [Southwark Cyclists] Re: Another cyclist fatality in SE1
                      > >

                      > > Another tipper lorry!! Is it the way they drive or something?
                      > >
                      > > I'm not familiar with these streets, but google's streetview showed me
                      > > very narrow streets. Are lorries allowed there?
                      > >
                      > > Vivian
                      > > ---
                      > > "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in
                      > > school". No Surrender

                    • Colin J Taylor
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                        While I was cycling in Holland recently I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised when a lorry, that was waiting in a side road to pull out into the main road, reversed as I approached in the cycle lane, to let me pass without having to move into the road. There seemed to be an element of responsibilty on the part of the driver, that he should move out of the way of the smaller and more vunerable cyclist, much like in sailing where the larger boat gives way.

                        I just think that it is ownership of responsibilty, education and common sense on everyones part, segregation won't solve the underlying problems

                        Col

                      • Charlie
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                          --- In southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com, Colin J Taylor <colin@...> wrote:

                          > While I was cycling in Holland recently I was shocked and very
                          > pleasantly surprised when a lorry, that was waiting in a side road to
                          > pull out into the main road, reversed as I approached in the cycle
                          > lane, to let me pass without having to move into the road.

                          I had the same experience in Denmark last summer. How do we get UK lorry drivers to behave in that way?
                        • ray.welsh@lineone.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 10, 2010
                            Cowboy payment methods and no traffic police service. They can do what they want as long as they don't hit a vehicle or a person. They are greedy people responding in a completely rational way to the incentives that present themselves. Do what the f*** you want because you will get away with it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                              I'm under the impression that majority of European traffic laws such as Netherlands are such that the weaker party is assumed innocent in any collision and the stronger party presumed guilty until proven otherwise..
                              In UK traffic law every party is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

                              Other UK laws presume guilt until proven innocent - Ordnance Survey/Crown copyright instantly comes to mind. Their are others.
                              But traffic victims have less legal protection than photocopying maps!

                              About two years ago a move to standardise European traffic laws along the lines described allowing a European free market in motor insurance with commensurate price reductions. But UK press went barmy during a very quiet August with stories about crazed UK cyclists making claims when they get knocked of their bikes.

                              So when a cyclist gets killed of injured it is very rare any prosecution is made. Apart from the evidentially hurdle where one the involved parties is dead. Often the vibe seems to be the killer has suffered enough having it on their conscience.

                              Regards james barber
                              Liberal Democrat councillor for East Dulwich
                              07960 964130
                              http://www.jamesbarber.org.uk
                              http://twitter.com/CllrJamesBarber

                              "Southwark Council does not accept liability for loss or damage
                              resulting from software viruses.

                              The views expressed in this e-mail may be personal to the sender and
                              should not be taken as necessarily representing those of Southwark
                              Council.

                              The information in this e-mail and any attached files is confidential
                              and may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege or be
                              subject to privacy legislation.  It is intended solely for the
                              individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the
                              intended recipient, the retaining,  distribution or other use of any
                              transmitted information is strictly prohibited.

                              E-mails are transmitted over a public network and Southwark Council
                              cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy of a message that
                              may have sustained changes in transmission".

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 11, 2010
                                Do they have the equivalent of the Daily Mail in those countries? Or the
                                Sun, News of the World, etc, etc?

                                Vivian
                                ---

                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                  Ownership of responsibility, education and common sense on everyones part - why not?  Easy, surely?

                                  After sixty years of dogged optimism about human nature, I am thoroughly convinced of the corrupting influence of all forms of power.  Control of a modern vehicle is no less intoxicating than any other kind of real power.  Segregation works for me.  As it does in those benign democracies where the vulnerable traveller is served by well-designed safe routes, not just legal protection.

                                  Ann

                                  To: charlie@...
                                  CC: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: colin@...
                                  Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:30:58 +0000

                                  On 10 Mar 2010, at 14:55, "Charlie" <charlie@lcc. org.uk> wrote:

                                  The statistics are clear enough. While the casualty rate for every other type of crash has declined dramatically over 20 years, the killing of cyclists by lorries had not improved.
                                  The lorries have got bigger. They have got much higher, so the view of the road is restricted. They are almost twice as powerful, due to revised regulations. They are very much easier to drive with power steering, good brakes and easy gears.
                                  While the training of drivers has become longer and more complex the basic skills have become easier to achieve. There needs to be a complete re-think of how we train these drivers before letting them loose.

                                  Following another lorry x cyclist death in Hackney this morning Jenny Jones has asked on Twitter "why not ban lorries at morning peak?"

                                  --- In southwarkcyclists@ yahoogroups. com, Sally Eva <bobsallyeva@ ...> wrote:

                                  > I wondered if they were also highly powered to carry large loads when
                                  > full but were travelling empty 50% of the time. Plus I wondered if their
                                  > licensing needed to be upgraded ie perhaps they should have more
                                  > difficult-to- get licenses. One would need statistics to show the need
                                  > for change. Over-riders on the acceleration would be good ie max speed
                                  > and acceleration.
                                  > Sally
                                  >
                                  > ann warren wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Vivian
                                  > >
                                  > > The drivers of skip lorries are paid by the load, so the faster they
                                  > > drive the more they get paid.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ann

                                  > > To: southwarkcyclists@ yahoogroups. com
                                  > > From: vmcclew@...
                                  > > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:01:49 +0000
                                  > > Subject: RE: [Southwark Cyclists] Re: Another cyclist fatality in SE1
                                  > >

                                  > > Another tipper lorry!! Is it the way they drive or something?
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm not familiar with these streets, but google's streetview showed me
                                  > > very narrow streets. Are lorries allowed there?
                                  > >
                                  > > Vivian
                                  > > ---
                                  > > "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in
                                  > > school". No Surrender

                                • Matt Beale-Collins
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010

                                    Matt Beale-Collins
                                    Climate Change Team
                                    Communities
                                    Surrey County Council
                                    KT1 2DY
                                    Office: 0208 541 8566
                                    From: colin@...
                                    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:30:58 +0000

                                    While I was cycling in Holland recently I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised when a lorry, that was waiting in a side road to pull out into the main road, reversed as I approached in the cycle lane, to let me pass without having to move into the road. There seemed to be an element of responsibilty on the part of the driver, that he should move out of the way of the smaller and more vunerable cyclist, much like in sailing where the larger boat gives way.

                                    I just think that it is ownership of responsibilty, education and common sense on everyones part, segregation won't solve the underlying problems

                                    Col

                                    On 10 Mar 2010, at 14:55, "Charlie" <charlie@lcc. org.uk> wrote:

                                    The statistics are clear enough. While the casualty rate for every other type of crash has declined dramatically over 20 years, the killing of cyclists by lorries had not improved.
                                    The lorries have got bigger. They have got much higher, so the view of the road is restricted. They are almost twice as powerful, due to revised regulations. They are very much easier to drive with power steering, good brakes and easy gears.
                                    While the training of drivers has become longer and more complex the basic skills have become easier to achieve. There needs to be a complete re-think of how we train these drivers before letting them loose.

                                    Following another lorry x cyclist death in Hackney this morning Jenny Jones has asked on Twitter "why not ban lorries at morning peak?"

                                    --- In southwarkcyclists@ yahoogroups. com, Sally Eva <bobsallyeva@ ...> wrote:

                                    > I wondered if they were also highly powered to carry large loads when
                                    > full but were travelling empty 50% of the time. Plus I wondered if their
                                    > licensing needed to be upgraded ie perhaps they should have more
                                    > difficult-to- get licenses. One would need statistics to show the need
                                    > for change. Over-riders on the acceleration would be good ie max speed
                                    > and acceleration.
                                    > Sally
                                    >
                                    > ann warren wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > Vivian
                                    > >
                                    > > The drivers of skip lorries are paid by the load, so the faster they
                                    > > drive the more they get paid.
                                    > >
                                    > > Ann

                                    > > To: southwarkcyclists@ yahoogroups. com
                                    > > From: vmcclew@...
                                    > > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:01:49 +0000
                                    > > Subject: RE: [Southwark Cyclists] Re: Another cyclist fatality in SE1
                                    > >

                                    > > Another tipper lorry!! Is it the way they drive or something?
                                    > >
                                    > > I'm not familiar with these streets, but google's streetview showed me
                                    > > very narrow streets. Are lorries allowed there?
                                    > >
                                    > > Vivian
                                    > > ---
                                    > > "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in
                                    > > school". No Surrender

                                    This email and any attachments with it are intended for the
                                    addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of
                                    legal and/or professional privilege.
                                    sender or postmaster@...
                                    The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and
                                    cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
                                    Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming
                                    and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check this
                                    e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any
                                    checks upon receipt.

                                    Visit the Surrey County Council website -
                                    http://www.surreycc.gov.uk

                                  • Sally Eva
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                      these countries probably have more cyclists so that cyclists make up a
                                      larger proportion of the readership of the papers and so the newspapers
                                      are more careful of their opinions.

                                      The mass readership of the NoW would be WVM and lorry drivers. The
                                      mental readership of the Daily Mail would be travelling salesmen and the
                                      aspirational readership company directors in big cars.

                                      I worked as a journalist before giving up to have children. (Journalism
                                      is incompatible with human life) and a mental picture of "the reader" is
                                      part of all newspaper story selection and delivery.

                                      As long as the stereotypical picture of a cyclist is a young man in
                                      Lycra banging on your car roof because you have just carved him up or
                                      slowing you down by cycling assertively, certain newspapers will attack
                                      them because they feel that their target readership will be amused by
                                      the attacks.

                                      Plus newspapers are dying and dying animals get more vicious

                                      Sally

                                      Vivian McClew wrote:
                                      > Do they have the equivalent of the Daily Mail in those countries? Or
                                      > the Sun, News of the World, etc, etc?
                                      >
                                      > Vivian --- "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever
                                      > learned in school". No Surrender
                                      >

                                      > -----Original Message----- From: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                                      > [mailto:southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Charlie Sent:
                                      > 10 March 2010 22:16 To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com Subject:
                                      > [Southwark Cyclists] Re: Another cyclist fatality in SE1
                                      >

                                      > --- In southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com, Colin J Taylor <colin@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> While I was cycling in Holland recently I was shocked and very
                                      >> pleasantly surprised when a lorry, that was waiting in a side road
                                      >>

                                      >> pull out into the main road, reversed as I approached in the cycle
                                      >> lane, to let me pass without having to move into the road.
                                      >>

                                      > I had the same experience in Denmark last summer. How do we get UK
                                      > lorry drivers to behave in that way?

                                      > Cyclists yahoo site to view message archive, change your mailing
                                      > preferences, etc: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southwarkcyclists
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      > 03/11/10 07:33:00

                                    • ann warren
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010
                                        Sorry Matt.  A period of respectful silence would of course be civilised.  But who will be next?

                                        It is more than ever urgent to break the pervading cyclists' dogma that segregation is always bad, sharing the road is always good and a 20mph limit will make everything safe.  (I don't think any of the lorries involved were doing 20mph.)  It's my view that this strong message from a vociferous section of the cycle lobby has allowed the authorities to resist investing in good infrastructure and has held back the cause of cycle safety in London for twenty years.  The inadequacy of the LCN is proof.

                                        Ann

                                        To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: matt.b.collins@...
                                        Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:32:28 +0000

                                        Matt Beale-Collins
                                        Climate Change Team
                                        Communities
                                        Surrey County Council
                                        KT1 2DY
                                        Office: 0208 541 8566

                                        To: charlie@lcc. org.uk
                                        CC: southwarkcyclists@ yahoogroups. com
                                        From: colin@colinjtaylor. co.uk
                                        Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:30:58 +0000

                                        sender or postmaster@surreycc .gov.uk
                                        The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and
                                        cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
                                        Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming
                                        and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check this
                                        e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any
                                        checks upon receipt.

                                        Visit the Surrey County Council website -
                                        http://www.surreycc .gov.uk

                                        Not got a Hotmail account? Sign-up now - Free
                                      • Colin Taylor
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010

                                          Ann,

                                          As you say, segregation is a last resort, a decision arrived at after all other reasonable options have been tried. Segregation could work in the short term, but this is a problem that needs to be solved, not avoided. I ride my bike for many reasons, one of which is a sense of freedom. I want to ride on the roads, I want to share the roads with other road users, I don’t think it unreasonable to expect this. I’m certainly not naive to the fact that this won’t come easily, but the point I was making in my original mail was that it is possible, and that gives me hope.

                                          Regards,

                                          Colin

                                          To: charlie@...
                                          CC: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: colin@...
                                          Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:30:58 +0000

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 12, 2010

                                            Ann

                                            I agree with everything you say. People are rightly angry about what keeps happening and why it should be an occupational hazard. It's such a shockingly unnecessary loss of life.

                                            Matt Beale-Collins
                                            Climate Change Team
                                            Communities
                                            Surrey County Council