Southwark Cyclists -- Position on Cycle Paths

  • COLIN HARTRIDGE-PRICE
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2012

    At the Annual Meeting of Southwark Cyclists on 10 October, it was agreed that our Position on Cycle Paths document (agreed last March) should again be e-mailed to the Yahoo Group for comment, and added to the list of documents that are reviewed at least annually.

    If you have any comments on the attached, please let me know.

    Regards

    Colin

  • ann warren
    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012
      My only comment on this very good document is that cycle paths should be 2 metres wide as a minimum.   It may be that the authorities refuse to meet this standard, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for what we really want.  One and a half metres is less than the margin motorists tend to give cycles on roads where there is no cycle lane.  It's also narrower than you might think and allows for no possibility of cyclists overtaking each other.

      Ann

      To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      From: colinhp@...
      Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:47:51 +0100
      Subject: [Southwark Cyclists] Southwark Cyclists -- Position on Cycle Paths [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from COLIN HARTRIDGE-PRICE included below]

      At the Annual Meeting of Southwark Cyclists on 10 October, it was agreed that our Position on Cycle Paths document (agreed last March) should again be e-mailed to the Yahoo Group for comment, and added to the list of documents that are reviewed at least annually.

      If you have any comments on the attached, please let me know.

      Regards

      Colin

    • Alex Crawford
      Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012
        This isn't right. We updated both docs to say 2 metres, per the website:

        https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/documents/southwark-cyclists-guiding-principles-and-objectives-cycling-southwark

        https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/documents/southwark-cyclists-position-cycle-pathslanes

        Sorry, there were a lot of versions circulated at the time so perhaps a bit confusing.

        To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
        From: colinhp@...
        Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:47:51 +0100

        --