Why don't people use decent lights?

  • Alex Crawford
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2011
      I really dislike cycling after 4pm in the winter months sometimes. One of the main reasons for this is that there are just far too many cyclists peddling around either with woefully poor lights, half-working light or none at all.

      I personally don't think it matters how much Day-Glo you chose wear - if you're not giving off enough light, you will not be seen by others on the road, not in time anyway.

      It sounds so obvious to say it but not having proper lights is dangerous for the cyclist and all other road users.

      Grrr. Big pet hate.

      For the record I use Exposure - brilliant, powerful, rechargeable and compact front and read lights.

      Another pet hate (and one I have ranted about already to some of you on here) is the way a lot of male cyclists seem to go to extreme measures to ensure they over take me (and other fast friends), because obviously they can't let a women go faster than them.

      Tonight, one chap managed to rile me on both these counts. Dressed in faded Day-Glo, he ran every red light going on Tower Bridge Road in an effort to overtake me but which resulted only in sorry game of leapfrog all the way to the New then Old Kent Road whereupon he nearly had me annihilated by failing to look behind him before pulling out suddenly to avoid rear-ending a bus.

      As for his lights, I've seen glowworms produce more powerful beams. I wish I was exaggerating.

      This is an interesting read, interesting for the varied comments: http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-london/are-cyclists-using-dangerous-bike-lights/

      --
      Alex Crawford

      Coordinator | Southwark Cyclists
      0777 599 0087
      alex@...
      www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk

    • Tom Chance
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
        On 4 December 2011 23:03, Alex Crawford <alexecrawford@...> wrote:
        Another pet hate (and one I have ranted about already to some of you on here) is the way a lot of male cyclists seem to go to extreme measures to ensure they over take me (and other fast friends), because obviously they can't let a women go faster than them.

        My wife, who this year took up cycling to work, has complained to me about this sort of behaviour almost every week. She also complains about men flying past her with a hair's width between them, scaring the life out of her.

        I don't think it's limited to overtaking women, though. Except in the warmest summer month commutes I cycle everywhere in my normal clothing, and it seems to offend some cyclists that I might be in front of them. One of my sad pleasures is holding speeding cyclists up on the Surrey Canal Path where parents are walking their children to school.

        I think a lot of people confuse our roads and cycle paths with a velodrome, and after getting used to taxis and vans zooming past them forget that it's not nice to subject fellow cyclists and pedestrians to the same treatment.

        Best wishes,
      • Charles January
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
          Quite rightly said on both accounts. And while in the past I have been guilty of the "no women is going to beat me" syndrome, I now acknowledge that yes they defiantly can beat me, even if I have a rolling start. My apologies to all women everywhere for my past chauvinistic attitude.

          Regards

          Charles
          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
        • ann warren
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
            London is unusual for a European city in that the cycling network is so poor that the hostile environment encourages aggressive and competitive instincts.  This generally tends to favour younger male cyclists at the expense of the rest.  It's no surprise that there aren't very many other grannies out there.  Encouraging more female cyclists has nothing to do with suitable fashion accessories, nor with trying to 'change attitudes' in schools.

            I've been tempted to wonder if the resistance to safe networks sometimes expressed by the fiercer sections of the cycling lobby has something to do with male status.  If you're in the pub with big men boasting about their big cars and they ask you what you drive, you only have to say 'I cycle in London' to floor them all.

            But please don't mistake me. Fast men are a good thing in principle.  It's just that I would like to cycle too.

            Ann

            To: alexecrawford@...
            CC: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011

              I think it’s only a fraction of cyclists – not the cycling lobby – that oppose cycle lanes. Not sure what is the official line of the CTC, but most of the anti cycle infrastructure voices that I heard came from CTC cyclists that I encountered in many of their rides. “We are traffic, too” is their mantra, LOL! And I do have to add, without getting into a feminist vs macho attitude, that all of those voices were male voices.

              Vivian

              --------

              “We learned more from a three minute record than we ever leanred in school”. No Surrender

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
                Isn't most of the CTC male though?

                That was my impression from doing a lot of riding with them round the East Midlands and seeing them out now and
                again down here.

                Rather interesting/amusing thread actually - as always appreciate your posts Vivian - makes things less predictable.

                Paul

                --
                Paul Taylor
              • sc_fixie@3112.org
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2011
                  On Mon, 05 Dec 2011, Charles January <januarycharles@...> wrote

                  > Quite rightly said on both accounts. And while in the past I have
                  > been guilty of the "no women is going to beat me" syndrome, I now
                  > acknowledge that yes they defiantly can beat me, even if I have a
                  > rolling start. My apologies to all women everywhere for my past
                  > chauvinistic attitude.

                  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton#Record-breaker
                  In 1967, she set a new 12-hour time trial record of 277.25 miles[3] –
                  a mark that surpassed the men’s record of the time by 0.73 miles and
                  was not superseded by a man until 1969.[4] While setting the record
                  she caught and passed Mike McNamara who was on his way to setting the
                  men's record at 276.52 miles and winning that year's men's British
                  Best All-Rounder. She is reputed to have given him a liquorice allsort
                  as she passed him.[5] Apparently, McNamara ate the sweet.

                  Werner
                • ann warren
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
                    Paul, you're right about Vivian's posts.  Fab.

                    I went to a CTC AGM once.  Nearly all men, and a great many of them a particular kind of man.  I think a lot of them have sheds.  It was quite fun to be there - they are very masculine and of course fit.  But mostly they have some difficulty comprehending that there are other people in the world who are not like them.

                    Ann

                    To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                    From: pault@...
                    Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:21:48 +0000

                    --
                    Paul Taylor

                  • paul taylor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
                      >> went to a CTC AGM once. Nearly all men, and a great many of them a
                      > particular kind of man. I think a lot of them have sheds.

                      :)

                      Yes, know what you mean - nice folk, know a lot about stuff and quality tea stops, but best not to spend too much
                      time with them. Remember thinking this in in a cafe in Newark - same tight group week after week.

                      Good organisation with a great history but they need to reach out a bit more. One of the things I love about the LCC
                      groups/rides is the variety of folk who come and the sheer unpredictability of it all.

                      sorry - going off topic :)

                      --
                      Paul Taylor
                    • Charles Barraball
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
                        It is particularly encouraging to see a higher proportion of females getting involved - there were more than I expected at the Go Dutch workshop at LCC on Saturday.

                        Two sheds.  Please wait for me at the top.

                        Charles Barraball
                        287 West Barnes Lane, New Malden Surrey KT3 6JE
                        020 8949 0708 land / 075 900 77 44 5 mobile

                        To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
                        From: pault@...
                        Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:21:48 +0000

                        --
                        Paul Taylor

                      • Mike Kelly

                          From: pault@...
                          Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:21:48 +0000

                          --
                          Paul Taylor

                        • Claire Donaldson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011

                            I feel the same. Ohhhh is almost as good to read other peoples rants as having your own sometimes :)

                            On 5 Dec 2011 09:20, "Tom Chance" <tom@...> wrote:

                            On 4 December 2011 23:03, Alex Crawford <alexecrawford@...> wrote:

                            > Another pet hate (and...

                            My wife, who this year took up cycling to work, has complained to me about this sort of behaviour almost every week. She also complains about men flying past her with a hair's width between them, scaring the life out of her.

                            I don't think it's limited to overtaking women, though. Except in the warmest summer month commutes I cycle everywhere in my normal clothing, and it seems to offend some cyclists that I might be in front of them. One of my sad pleasures is holding speeding cyclists up on the Surrey Canal Path where parents are walking their children to school.

                            I think a lot of people confuse our roads and cycle paths with a velodrome, and after getting used to taxis and vans zooming past them forget that it's not nice to subject fellow cyclists and pedestrians to the same treatment.

                            Best wishes,

                          • REBECCA Olds-Bartlett
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 6, 2011
                              +1 on the Exposure lights. I have the Strada MkII, which was only
                              mid-price in the range but still powerful enough to make people in
                              cars and on bikes think a (silent??!) motorbike is overtaking them.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 7, 2011
                                Very on-topic: http://bikeyface.com/2011/10/26/see-any-bikes/

                                (I love this blog!)