      To: southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      From: bobsallyeva@...
      Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:09:00 +0000
      Subject: [Southwark Cyclists] BBC News - Compulsory cycle helmets - what's the proof

      I think some evidence suggests that drivers treat cyclists in helmets
      more respectfully but personal observation suggests the opposite to me.
      Neither is treated very well but lack of a helmet highlights the
      vulnerability of the cyclist.

      It seems obvious to say that helmets reduce head injuries. To what
      extent do they reduce deaths is a more interesting question.

      I wonder if we are set up genetically to only consider threats to
      ourselves or at any rate to consider them first. Thus another car/lorry
      is a threat to us and is considered first. The only threat posed by a
      cyclist is of spending the afternoon at the police station if the driver
      runs them over and probably feeling sad about it afterwards. This isn't
      enough to get through most drivers' carapace of stress etc

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic