Jimmy Bishop -- Philly DJ / Label owner

  • jsoulsmith2000
    Message 1 of 16 , May 25 7:43 AM
      Jimmy Bishop who spent many years as a radio DJ, producer, label owner, group manager and later exec for CBS in their music publishing arm was originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
      I know he still had family members in the area and when he disappeared from Philly in the 80's some say he went back down south.
      I would have thought that a guy who had his stature in the radio / music biz for around 20 years would have registered somewhere he had moved to if he had attempted to find work in the music biz again.
      HOWEVER, I can find no news on him at all after 1980. He had quit CBS around 78, spent a year or so in London before returning to Philly to work with Kenny Gamble. But the Philly International label was failing in the early 80's and no doubt only 'essential staff' were kept on. Jimmy probably headed 'back home' when things turned tough for him in the 80's. He had 'ripped off' a few folk down the years, had quit his family and wasn't (by all accounts) too well thought of by many in Philly.
      Anyone here know of his passing (he would be in his 70's now), or his recent whereabouts or of anytime he has registered in the news since the early 80's ?

      CHEERS . . . . . .. JRS

    • jsoulsmith2000
      Message 2 of 16 , May 25 7:55 AM
        BTW, in addition to the rumours that Jimmy Bishop had returned to Alabama, it is also thought that he may have moved to Florida OR EVEN South Africa, but nothing concrete seems to have ever turned up to confirm his whereabouts.

        . . . . . JRS_

      • GARRY CAPE
        Message 3 of 16 , May 25 10:41 AM
          John

          Have you checked with the Lipsius family at JamGuy ?

          Garry

          On 25 May 2013 15:43, <jsoulsmith@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Jimmy Bishop who spent many years as a radio DJ, producer, label owner,
          > group manager and later exec for CBS in their music publishing arm was
          > originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
          > I know he still had family members in the area and when he disappeared
          > from Philly in the 80's some say he went back down south.
          > I would have thought that a guy who had his stature in the radio / music
          > biz for around 20 years would have registered somewhere he had moved to if
          > he had attempted to find work in the music biz again.
          > HOWEVER, I can find no news on him at all after 1980. He had quit CBS
          > around 78, spent a year or so in London before returning to Philly to work
          > with Kenny Gamble. But the Philly International label was failing in the
          > early 80's and no doubt only 'essential staff' were kept on. Jimmy probably
          > headed 'back home' when things turned tough for him in the 80's. He had
          > 'ripped off' a few folk down the years, had quit his family and wasn't (by
          > all accounts) too well thought of by many in Philly.
          > Anyone here know of his passing (he would be in his 70's now), or his
          > recent whereabouts or of anytime he has registered in the news since the
          > early 80's ?
          >
          > CHEERS . . . . . .. JRS

        • jsoulsmith2000
          Message 4 of 16 , May 25 11:34 AM
            Yes, Frank lost touch with him years ago (as did just about everyone else in Philly including his ex wife & kids).
            He was rumoured to have become a minister but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to go that way.

            JRS

            Have you checked with the Lipsius family at JamGuy ?

            Garry

          • jayedwin1
            Message 5 of 16 , May 25 5:56 PM
              A few thoughts, but not definitive:

              His ex-wife is a PA state legislator:

              http://www.pahouse.com/bishop/

              I suppose you could contact her office if you really want to know and feel it won't be offensive.

              I used to do some work with Bishop's son and I think he said his father had passed on, but I am hardly 100 percent on that. I've lost touch with his son.

              Jay

              --- In southernsoul@yahoogroups.com, jsoulsmith@... wrote:

              > Yes, Frank lost touch with him years ago (as did just about everyone else in Philly including his ex wife & kids).
              > He was rumoured to have become a minister but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to go that way.
              >

              > JRS

            • ADRIAN
              Message 6 of 16 , May 31 10:14 AM
                His ex-wife ain't seen him for decades and doesn't know of his whereabouts

                Ady

                --- In southernsoul@yahoogroups.com, "jayedwin1" <jayedwin1@...> wrote:

                > A few thoughts, but not definitive:
                >
                > His ex-wife is a PA state legislator:
                >

                > http://www.pahouse.com/bishop/
                >
                > I suppose you could contact her office if you really want to know and feel it won't be offensive.
                >
                > I used to do some work with Bishop's son and I think he said his father had passed on, but I am hardly 100 percent on that. I've lost touch with his son.
                >
                > Jay
                >
                > --- In southernsoul@yahoogroups.com, jsoulsmith@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes, Frank lost touch with him years ago (as did just about everyone else in Philly including his ex wife & kids).
                > > He was rumoured to have become a minister but he doesn't seem like the type of guy to go that way.
                > >

                > > JRS

              • jsoulsmith2000
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31 10:31 AM
                  Yes, Jimmy left a lot of unhappy people behind when he quit Philadelphia; family members, old partners, children, artists, song writers.
                  He had the gift of the gab throughout the 60's / 70's but never seemed to even try to live up to his promises.
                  He joined forces (on radio & for live presentations) with Georgie Woods and after he had got his 'feet under the table' did his best to cut Georgie out of the picture.
                  He spent some time in London around 1980 but there seemed to be no result from those endeavours. No wonder he 'went to ground' when he left Philly.
                  BUT as he only really knew radio & record company business, it seems strange that he hasn't surfaced somewhere else in a similar capacity over the last 30 years. It is rumoured that he may have passed but there seems no way to truly confirm this at present.

                  His ex-wife ain't seen him for decades and doesn't know of his whereabouts

                  Ady

                • David Cole
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2013
                    Dear John,

                    I am putting out some feelers via Larry Cotton, 'In The Basement''s man in Philly and also asking Barbara Mason. I don't hold out much hope I'm afraid but, if anything is revealed, I will let you know.

                    All the best!

                    David