Re: [SS] Re: Geater Davis-House Of Orange discography

  • bassace123@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2006
      In a message dated 2/26/2006 4:17:50 PM Central Standard Time,
      kkiley@... writes:
      This talk of Geater made me dig out the Westside CD.
      There are 2 tracks said to be produced by Geater and J. Lancaster.
      Was that YOU, Jim?
      If so, can you share any Geater tales?
      Yeah Kevin it was me. We cut those two singles in the most "WarZone"
      situation possible. I cut those at Johnny Vincent's (ACE) studio on an 8 trk Scully
      with a radio station console. I believe it was in '77 or '78. Geater lived
      really close to me in Jackson.. and he was the "artist of the moment" at Ace. I had
      been repackaging and compiling Ace tapes for various leases, which meant I
      was the resident producer also.

      Johnny had multi thousands of records and masters but it was a regular stop
      for any really serious record collectors. The studio was archaic and barely
      worked.. but that never stopped me. My only regret on those two sides is that we
      didn't have the dough for horn players.

      My favorite Geater story.. Johnny's office was always filled with Johnny
      friends.. some of whom were or had been in the music biz... but there was a
      senator, an insurance exec, a siding salesman... anyway everyday we would go through
      the newpaper ads to find out who had the best carry out lunch deals. Popeye's
      chicken had a 6 piece special one day.. and there were five of us. When the
      "extra" piece of chicken went missing Johnny went ballistic only to find out
      that unbeknownst to us Geater had eaten 2 pieces of chicken! This was a tragedy
      for Johnny.. but Geater said that he was the artist and he deserved the extra
      piece. Anyway, this goes to show how broke were all were at the time..209 West
      Capitol in Jackson Mississippi was quite the place. Huey 'Piano" Smith came
      in and out from time to time. My original audition for Johnny was to record
      Sammy Meyers. I also recorded James Booker there... and many more.

      I recorded several of the House of Orange tracks... that Alan absconded with
      during the middle of the night without paying Johnny.. Really made Johnny
      mad.. I don't want to say anything bad about Allen as I understand he is not in
      good health

      More later ..supper is callin and we've got more than one piece of chicken...
      but you never forget

      Lancaster

    • Kevin Kiley
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2006
        Thanks, Jim. That story rings a bell. I think you may have shared it
        when you first joined the list.
        Later,
        KK
        --
        "He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies"
        William Hazlitt
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
          --- In southernsoul@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Kiley <kkiley@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Jim. That story rings a bell. I think you may have shared it
          > when you first joined the list.
          > Later,
          > KK
          > --
          > "He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies"
          > William Hazlitt

          Dear Cies, Marc, Jim, Kevin,

          Thank you so much for all the great info on Geater and HoO!

          I will confess that, after I brought up the subject, I could not
          resist ordering the current Geater AIM 2CD, just because of the few
          tracks I don't have...

          I would not mind to send some cash to the people who are entitled to
          royalties that they probably don't get through the record company, If
          I knew where to send it.

          Best, Kees