Fw: Now is the Time to Kill the McCarthy Gun Grab

  • ~mary~
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2006
      Now is the Time to Kill the McCarthy Gun Grab

      Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
      8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
      Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
      http://www.gunowners.org

      Tuesday, August 29, 2006

      Gun Owners of America has alerted you on a couple of occasions to a
      massive gun control bill that is currently working its way through
      Congress.

      H.R. 1415, introduced by New York anti-gun liberal Carolyn McCarthy (D),
      authorizes nearly $1 billion to the states to vastly expand upon the
      unconstitutional gun laws already on the books.

      (McCarthy, whose husband was killed by a lunatic who attacked dozens
      of unarmed commuters on a Long Island train, ran for Congress on a
      campaign to ban guns.)

      McCarthy and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) first introduced this bill
      in 2002 after a tragic shooting at a Long Island Catholic church.
      We have come to expect that people like McCarthy and Schumer will
      always try to exploit tragedy for political gain.

      What is surprising, however, is how close this bill is to becoming
      law under congressional leadership that claims to be pro-gun. It
      already passed the House once, in October of 2002, but was killed
      in the senate when GOA teamed up with former Sen. Bob Smith (R-NH)
      to block the bill.

      Now it's back. H.R. 1415 passed out of the House Crime Subcommittee
      in May, and is slated to come before the full Judiciary Committee
      in September.

      There are many good pro-gun members on the committee who are being
      fed misinformation. They're being told that this is a harmless bill
      that will simply make the Brady law work more efficiently.

      H.R. 1415 is anything but harmless. The billion dollars will be
      used to computerize and make available to the federal government
      millions of state records that could include state tax returns,
      employment records, library records (we've already seen how these
      have been deemed relevant to terrorism investigations), DMV,
      hospital, mental health and some misdemeanor records -- all in the
      name of making sure you're not prohibited from owning a gun.

      In all, this bill allows for an enormous data dump from the states
      to the federal government, at the same time laying the
      infrastructure for even more gun control in the future.

      No wonder this bill has leading anti-gunners in Congress frothing
      at the mouth. The sponsor of the bill, as noted, is one of the
      most virulent anti-gunners in the entire Congress.

      Of the 32 cosponsors, 31 are rated "F" on GOA's scorecard; one is
      rated "D." These representatives support the bill because it
      enhances their gun control agenda.

      Also among the bill's supporters are anti-Second Amendment groups
      like the Brady Campaign and Americans for Gun Safety (AGS). In
      fact, the McCarthy bill is taken point by point from a 2002 AGS
      "report" entitled "How America's Faulty Background Check
      System
      Allows Criminals to Get Guns."

      H.R. 1415, perhaps the most massive expansion of gun control
      since the Brady bill passed in 1993, is not a bill that should be
      supported by pro-gun conservatives.

      Gun Owners of America is the only national gun group opposing
      this bill. If you don't act quickly, your representative will
      hear only voices of support for this monstrosity.

      ACTION:

      1. Please urge your Representative to oppose HR 1415, the McCarthy
      gun grab bill.

      2. Take the action recommended below and then circulate this
      alert to your pro-gun friends and family.

      You can visit the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at
      http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Representative a
      pre-written e-mail message. (The system will automatically select
      one of the two messages below, depending on whether your Rep. is a
      member of the Judiciary Committee.) And, you can call your
      Representative toll-free at 1-877-762-8762.

      ----- Pre-written letter for non-committee members -----

      Dear Representative:

      I am very concerned about an anti-gun bill by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy,
      HR 1415. This bill spends nearly $1 billion dollars to further prop
      up the unconstitutional Brady Law, but there is no authority for the
      Federal government to do this under the Second and Tenth Amendments.

      I urge you to OPPOSE H.R. 1415.

      I would appreciate hearing whether you plan to oppose this bill. Gun
      Owners of America will keep me informed about any votes on this
      dangerous measure.

      Sincerely,

      ----- Pre-written letter for Judiciary committee members -----

      Dear Representative:

      I am very concerned about an anti-gun bill by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy,
      HR 1415. This bill spends nearly $1 billion dollars to further prop
      up the unconstitutional Brady Law, but there is no authority for the
      Federal government to do this under the Second and Tenth Amendments.

      I urge you to oppose H.R. 1415 when it comes before the Judiciary
      Committee after the August recess.

      I would appreciate hearing whether you plan to oppose this bill. Gun
      Owners of America will keep me informed about any votes on this
      dangerous measure.

      Sincerely,

      ****************************

      "Live Fire" radio with Larry Pratt is broadcast by the Information
      Radio Network on Saturdays at 12:00 Noon Eastern. "Live Fire" is
      simulcast on the web at http://inforadionet.com and previous episodes
      are archived at http://www.soundwaves2000.com/livefire/ with a number
      of listening formats supported.

      Podcasts are now available!

      Recent guests and topics have included:

      * Ken Blackwell: Ohio's next governor discusses his GOA-PVF
      endorsement
      http://www.soundwaves2000.com/rammaker.asp?id=116&d=06-17-06

      * Eric Shawn: The United Nations Exposed
      http://www.soundwaves2000.com/rammaker.asp?id=116&d=07-22-06

      * Garry Breitkreuz: The Canadian Member of Parliament on dismantling
      that country's hated gun registry
      http://www.soundwaves2000.com/rammaker.asp?id=116&d=06-24-06

      address may also be made at that location.