Limiting the number of satellites displayed

  • kb3dnz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
      Will someone please direct me to a source I study to learn how to reduce the number of satellites displayed. Turning on "highlight objects" shows every! satellite above the horizon, including geosynchronous. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off display of stationary satellites so the display isn't so crowded. I also have the show names option selected.

      BTW, I'm using the pro version on a andriod tablet. The display is even more crowded on the iphone version.

      Thanks in advance.

      Sam
    • Tim DeBenedictis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
        Sam-

        Try reducing the solar system object limiting magnitude to something like 6 or 8.

        -Tim

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
          Folks,

          For those of you who are following the SkyCube satellite project, we have an important announcement to make regarding the launch:

          Originally, we expected SkyCube to launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 in April 2013.  However - for reasons having nothing to do with SkyCube – our satellite has been manifested on a different Falcon 9 going to the International Space Station in September, 2013.

          SkyCube will still be launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, but in September, 2013.  It will be unpacked from the Dragon capsule by astronauts aboard ISS, and deployed into its own orbit 2 weeks later.

          Complete details on the SkyCube Kickstarter project page:

          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/880837561/skycube-the-first-satellite-launched-by-you/posts

          -Tim

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
            Message
            Sam,

            Tap SETTINGS
            Tap SOLAR SYSTEM
            Look down the list to MINOR BODY DISPLAY
            Tap the check mark next to SHOW SATELLITES to get rid of the check mark -- now you won't see ANY satellites.

            If you want to see the satellites but not their individual names,
            Tap the box next to WITH NAMES (directly under SHOW SATELLITES) to uncheck it.  This will show you the satellites but not their names which fill the screen.

            Woody

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
              Thanks to Tim and Woody for their suggestions, both of which I tried already. I guess I was hoping to be able to display only those satellites above a (selectable) altitude/magnitude; or, at least, be able to turn off geosynchronous satellites so they don't clutter up the display.

              I realize I could go through the entire satellite list and select only the satellites I'd like to track and add them to an observing list. I was hoping, though, for a more spontaneous way to enjoy the satellite database and at the same time eliminate the clutter.

              Sam