Results and the New Training Plan

  • Daniel Stein
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hello all,

      I wanted to first thank those of you who called me over the weekend to
      report results from your races...good or bad...it means a lot to me! I have
      news to report from NY, the Dinosaur Dash, and the OC 1/2 marathon.
      Overall, I thought we had a great weekend of racing. The reports were of
      fast times, prs, and courageous efforts. I will first start with the NY
      marathon, Sue and Rick. I received the call on Sun. afternoon from two
      disappointed runners. Sue calls and begins that things did not go well.
      The weather was a high of 40 degrees. Rick and her did everything they
      could to hold 7:15 pace and at about 17 miles neither of them could feel
      their hands, much less, their legs. However, they both fought through it
      and finished the race in about 3:19 and some change. Personally, I am not
      disappointed. Certainly, I feel both Sue and Rick were in the best shapes
      of their lives and ready to run much faster times. There are a lot of
      things you can control and a lot you can prepare for. However, in S. Cal.
      there is no way you can train to prepare for 40 degree weather when you
      train in 70 degree weather everyday. In the elite athlete world, these
      athletes look for conditions that make for pr's and world records. However,
      for big races like the Olympics, World Championships, etc. they look to do
      the best they can against their competition and the conditions they are up
      against. My thoughts are that Rick and Sue did do the best they could
      against their competition and the conditions they were dealt. As a group, I
      think we would all agree that we are proud that you did not give up and you
      finished the race. Next, marathon we will look for one where the conditions
      give way to prs/ and fast times!

      As for the other results, Henrick reported a 4 min. pr in the 1/2 marathon
      with a time of 1:27. He said he felt fast throughout the whole race,
      however, against my advice he did not get in as many long runs as he should
      have and felt the effect in the last 2-3 miles. Regardless, a 4 min. pr is
      fantastic!

      Fred Cowles called and reported a 15:51 5K finish in the Dino-Dash race. He
      said it was an amazing race start to finish. This is a certified course and
      Fred's first time breaking 16 in several years on a certified 5K course. He
      is very excited!

      I believe this wraps up the season and the results. As mentioned, in
      previous emails. I suggest all of you planning on running with us through
      our base training phase and next season make sure you are well rested,
      injury free, and ready to commit yourself to a tough schedule. This does
      not mean to take a month off of no running and expect to jump into high
      mileage and workouts. Please be smart, build-up accordingly, tend to your
      body and staying healthy. With that said, here is the description and plan
      for Nov., Dec., and Jan...

      Over the last few months, I have been doing quite a bit of reading and
      discussing on different training philosophies and plans from top high school
      coaches, college coaches, elite runners, master runners, and the every day
      runner. With each of these people, I always try to keep an open mind and
      believe that any training program is better then not having a plan at all.
      However, with each one there are always things I would change or do
      different! Of every thing I have seen, I have to say I have found one
      person/philosophy that I agree with almost everything he says. This person
      is the famous and renowned coach, Arthur Lydiard! He has coached multiple
      gold medalist in Peter Snell, Lasse Viren, etc. and has coached individuals
      at all levels where the only goal in mind is improving and reaching personal
      goals. Here again ego driven or not, I do disagree with some things, but
      his thoughts on base training and the program he recommends I am 100% on
      board with. He says there is never too much time to run mileage and build a
      base. He related this fact to the Kenyans and their backgrounds of running
      just mileage back and forth from school everyday and not doing any workouts
      until their years of "base" training has already been put in. They are
      strong, developed, and injury free...this allows them to adapt to workouts,
      recover and improve! He also hits on my point that an athlete must always
      listen to their body and run as they feel...setup a schedule that allows you
      to have recovery, yet continue to slowly build miles, recover at longer
      daily runs and use pace to control recovery!

      Therefore, this training season is going to come from the pages out of Mr..
      Lydiard's book. We are going to focus the whole winter season on hitting
      lengths of time goals for our daily runs. I am going to send out a schedule
      each week of time goals for your runs each day and places our group will be
      meeting to do these runs. You will run the runs as you feel. If you feel
      good and want to run faster or throw in a fartlek then do so. If you are
      tired or don't feel like running fast then run as slow as you would like
      just make sure you meet the suggested length of time of the run that day.
      After talking with each of the people that ran last season or are interested
      in this season...most of the focus races are in March-June. Therefore, this
      is the perfect time to have a season focused on nothing but getting
      stronger. I would like to suggest that everyone focus on this schedule. No
      tampering for races in nov., Dec. or Jan. If you want to race add them into
      the plan, do them, but continue to train through them. No tampering or
      backing off. Here again, the focus is to train to run fast for our focus
      races in March to June. I would like to suggest that any days off are done
      on the lower mileage days. Like me, I know our schedules with work are
      tough and running everyday might not be possible. However, the down days
      really are not that hard to get in 30-45 mins. for the first few weeks in
      the morning, at lunch, or right as you get off work. This will not work if
      you try to make up for missed days on the weeks or run doubles to account
      for missed days. I too am going to do my best to try to get runs in every
      day. If we follow this schedule I am sure we can better avoid injury,
      prepare ourselves to handle the workouts when we get there, and move our
      weekly mileage slowly and safely from 30-50 miles per week to 60-70. If you
      are a tri-athlete. I would suggest you mix in your other training to this
      schedule! We can discuss more about this on a individual level if you would
      like. The key is to have lower mileage days in between longer days to
      account for recovery and then move all of it up each week. Suggestions and
      new ideas for 6pm weekday runs and weekend long runs are always welcome and
      requested. The program basically looks like this...

      Week 1
      M-30 minutes at SCRR
      T-60 minutes at BackBay
      W-30 minutes at SnailsPace
      T-60 minutes at SCRR
      F-30 minutes on your own
      S-90 minutes longrun (suggestions)
      S-30 minutes on your own

      Each week you will increase each of your daily runs by 5 minutes. We will
      do this for 7 weeks. From weeks 7-9 we will hold the daily run suggestions
      from week 7. Therefore, next week will look like this...

      M-35 minutes
      T-65 minutes
      W-35 minutes
      T-65 minutes
      F-35 minutes
      S-95 minutes
      S-35 minutes.

      After 7 weeks your schedule will look like this...

      M-60 minutes
      T-90 minutes
      W-60 minutes
      T-90 minutes
      F-60 minutes
      S-120 minutes
      S-60 minutes.

      Once we get through 9 weeks, which is the 1st week of Jan. We will begin
      looking at starting up structured workouts. This is when we will break into
      the two different groups 5K/10K and marathon/1/2 marathon. The 5K/10K group
      will start doing more speed based workouts and marathoners will do a hill
      program. Likewise, the 5K/10K group will hold longruns steady around 120
      minutes and the marathon group will continue to increase to a consistant
      18-23 miles. This is a lot of information. As always, I would like to
      understand each of your goals, focus races, backgrounds, past weekly mileage
      aves., etc. so we can adapt this program best to fit each of us
      individually. I look forward to questions, concerns, feedback, complaints,
      and all the rest!

      Regards,

      Danny