New LA Marathon Course

  • mkdonnellan
    Message 1 of 1272 , Jul 3, 2001
      Check out this e-mail and website and cast your
      vote! Respond by 5:00 pm on Friday July
      [SMTP:bill_burke@d...]<br>Sent: 02 July, 2001 8:46 PM<br>Subject: Your New LA
      Marathon PR Course<br><br>By popular demand, the City of
      Los Angeles Marathon has designed three faster,
      flatter courses. After months of submissions and review,
      we wanted to offer you a "first look" at the
      proposed courses for the 2002 City of Los Angeles
      Marathon, along with the current course for you to compare
      elevations. We plan to run one of these courses as a test in
      2002 and then ask your opinions again.<br><br>Since
      our goal is to help you achieve a PR, we wanted you
      to be involved with the decision. We have provided
      links to the three new courses and our current one.
      While the mileage on these courses varies at this
      point, they will be refined to conform to 26.2 miles
      before certification. Please review them and respond to
      us by email before 5 p.m. PST July 6, 2001 with
      answers to the following questions.<br><br>1. Which
      course do you prefer? A___ B___ C___ D___<br><br>2.
      Which course will give you a new PR? A___ B___ C___
      have to be approved by the Los Angeles City Council
      and ultimately certified by USA Track & Field
      ending in downtown, this revision of the original
      Marathon route is widely regarded as the toughest major
      city marathon course in America.<br><br>B Out and Back
      to Venice Beach<br>In response to the questions,
      "Why can't we run along the Beach?" This route starts
      and ends downtown with a major portion on Venice
      Blvd. and a short one and a half mile section along
      from the two original Marathon courses, this route is
      faster and flatter, but also highlights the many
      cultural and ethnic centers and communities in Los Angeles
      including the soon-to-be-completed Disney Hall, the new Our
      Lady of the Angels Cathedral, USC & the L.A. Coliseum,
      Hancock Park and Koreatown, and many other
      the Flattest Course<br>Starting adjacent to the new
      MTA Station in Universal City, this point to point
      course is the flattest and fastest course we can design
      given the elevations and contours of the City of Los
      Angeles. Similar to the point to point courses in Boston
      and New York, participants can choose to park at the
      finish and take the MTA to the start line, or park at
      the start line and take the MTA back to their cars
      from the finish line. It takes just minutes to travel
      via the MTA Red Line from Downtown to Universal
      City.<br><br>To preview the new
    • cshargay
      Message 1272 of 1272 , Mar 1, 2002
        For anyone running or cheering at LA Marathon, many SCRR and Snail Pace members are meeting at letter "S" at the finish.<br><br> Cathy