fall/winter SBSHL hockey info

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2011
      for some of you this might be a duplicate, if so I apologize

      I know this might seem long, but I hope to answer all your questions,  so please hide this somewhere when you're finished.   I want to go in chronological order and hope I don't lose you.  Please forward this to anyone you know that is interested in playing the fall session who didnt get this.  Those who didnt, please let me know to add you to my address book.

      IYHL

      The IYHL (youth hockey) is having their registration this week on august 3rd from 6-8pm and then again at the annual back to hockey day august 13th.   The back to hockey will run from 1-5pm at the ice box.  They will be raffling off items, including 2 $200 vouchers towards league fees for the men's league.  All the information For the IYHL and to download the registration forms,  go to www.irishyouthhockey.com   Anyone with questions should contact Chris kleva  his email is  chriskleva@...

      CAPTAINS MEETING

      The captains meeting for the league will take place this Thursday night august 4th @ 7pm at the Ice box in the team room .  Team captains must attend this meeting, if you can't make it please send an alternate captain or a team representative to the meeting.  There will be a wide range of topics to discuss and I don't want anyone to use the excuse of ignorance when new policy is enacted.   Email has been sent out and the captains have been made aware.  Consensus was to have the meeting earlier rather than later, and guys are starting to get collections in to have ready when the season starts.  Those who want their captains to bring up an issue should tell them, or let me know what you want us to address.

      ADULT BOOT CAMP

      Once again Mike McNeill  along with NDU assistant coach Jason Nightingale, will putting on a beginners boot camp for new adults men/women (please no children) on various nights during the week. The clinics will be 60-90 minutes each, on ice, running sometime between august 16th through Sept 10th.  Each session will be 10 bucks.  Full equipment is needed to attend. Although the first couple sessions you can get by with skates helmet gloves and a stick, past that your gonna want to get gear. Each night mike will work on skating, passing shooting, stick handling, positioning, etc........ There is  no need to register, just show up.   These clinics aren't mandatory for new players, but it will surely give them confidence and help them get acclimated to the game before the season starts up on the 11th.     Those new to the game are recommended to attend.   It's a good place to get recruited for a fall team and get your legs back.

      The dates are

      Aug 16 6:30-8:00PM skating

      Aug 23 7:30-9:00PM skating

      Aug 24 6:30-8:00PM passing

      Aug 28 6:30-8:00PM stick handling

      Aug 29  6:30-8:00PM shooting

      Aug 31  6:30-8:00PM positioning

      Sept 06  9:15-10:15PM odd man situations

      Sept 07  9:15-10:15PM real game instruction

      Goalies wishing to attend should contact mike mcneil  mmcneill14@...  Goalies will usually be there.

      REFEREE CLINIC

      There will be a USA hockey ref clinic tentatively scheduled for August 27th and 28th.   I don't know all the details as of yet, but if you're interested in becoming a USAH ref please contact Phil wolf  puck42058@...

      3 ON 3 TOURNEY

      At this time, I am planning on having a small 3 on 3 tournament on Sunday Sept 11th at the rink.  We are doing a fundraiser for Sean godbey.  Sean has played in the men's league several years  and his wife with the sting.   Sean was in a car accident about a week ago and is in serious condition.  He probably won't be going back to work anytime soon.   I am going to guess  around $275 a team, goalies free.  Teams are guaranteed  4 games and a possible 5th.  Beer and pizza will be provided.  If you are interested please contact me and let me know.

      FALL/WINTER SESSION

      Ok here we go..........Fall winter season will start Sept 11 or 12th depending on the turnout of the 3 on 3 and run through the end of March.  The league consists of currently 5 divisions.  A, B gold, B silver, C and Rec.  We might be splitting the C league into a C gold and C silver as well, or if anyone has any other bright ideas of what to name them I am game.    The A and B league will be 34-35 games and the C and rec will be playing 30 games.  With the opening of the rink at Notre Dame in October, we anticipate more ice for us to utilize and since last year 26 game session, most of the feedback I got was they wanted to play more games. exceptions will be ND faculty, Goshen college and maybe Andrews and prowlers.   Games are typically Sunday through Thursday, with the high school using the ice Friday and Saturday nights.   That might change in the fall, and as I write this now, we plan to keep it that way, but if anything changes I will let the captains know.   Game times on Sunday can start as early as 3pm, although rare, and go as late as 9:30.  Weeknight games are as early as 7pm and no later than 10:15.  We are pretty spoiled, as games in Chicago can be as late as 1am.   For those getting the 10:15 game, suck it up, you really don't know how worse it could be.

      A league is run by Brandon Rigby, his contact info is brandonr@...  and cell number is 574-286-7342.  The games are typically on Thursday nights and an occasional Sunday game this year in order to get in the 34-35 game schedule.  Brandon will be the contact for A league for all your questions. They are mainly looking for ex-high school players, former junior players and college kids to fill out the teams.  The level of play is up there.  They usually have a 4 team draft.  Again, contact Brandon with any questions.

      B League is still competitive, but not as fast as the A league.  A league is split between B gold and B silver.

      C league is the former Beginners league and last year had grown to 12 teams.  The level of parity, has seemed to disappear now that it has grown and we have seen some of the hot shots from the B league starting to drop down to the C league and start dominating some of the games.   I think the solution will be to start splitting up the C league and see how it goes.   We will discuss this at the captains meeting. C league is still competitive, but I guess I would classify it as

      Rec league is for beginners and has been a great entry level league for those who haven't played before.   It's not as competitive, and more for the fun of the game.   Many of the guys/gals  going through the adult boot camp are fed into the rec league and teams, including myself will be looking for players to fill out their rosters.

      I will be posting a link to the rosters on the eteamz website.  Those looking for a team in the fall, please email me with their contact information and skill level, and I will do my best (no promises) to get you on a team.

      SUBS

      I will be creating a sub list for those who can't play the whole season but can sub in once in awhile.  Subs will be contacted (by you) and will pay a $10 fee to come in for a game.  I will not be moving games like I have done in the past.   I have been too nice and if guys can't make a game, find some subs or create your own sub list from the roster submitted.   Moving games has been a tremendous pain in the ass and people don't realize that when a game moves how many people it affects.  When teams ask me to move games this fall, be prepared for me to tell them no.   I will still do my best to accommodate team date requests, but this fall/winter, with the absence of Friday  and Saturday night games it just gives me less options when scheduling games.     We have a goalie list on the website as well.   If you want to get on the sub list, or goalie list, please let me know.

      DISCIPLINARY BOARD

      We currently have a disciplinary board made up of Brandon Rigby, Dave mensik, Kevin nobes, Todd Montgomery, matt popovic, and myself.   Incidents are typically reported to us by the refs and we make our recommendations and relay them to the captains.   Currently it's basically a 3 strikes and you're out type of deal.  We will tweaking this at the board meeting.

      LEAGUE FEES

      The league fees consist of 4 things Ice rental fees, refs, security fee, insurance and a management fee I call the "sax tax".  I use these factors to come up with the costs for the season and stand behind my figures so people don't think I pulled a number out of a hat. I will go into this now.

      Ice fees have gone up $5 an hour from last year. We are now at $265 an hour, which in our case is sometimes more than an hour, but our games are 3 18 minute periods, running clock.  We get a 5 minute warm up and we get to stop the clock when a game is within 2. So as you see its sometimes more than 60 minutes, but you get the picture.  Nobody is kicked off the ice when the 60 minutes is up and we are allowed to finish our game.   I am trying to make a point about how good we have it and other rinks don't give that flexibility.  The $5 is miniscule and I don't feel there a reason to complain.

      Refs currently are paid $20 a game, but I am going to put it to the board that they get paid $22 a game.  Yeah that's a 10% raise, but it's really a thankless job and although its small, I am hoping it attracts more refs into the mix.  With 2 rinks running simultaneously this fall it will be harder to pull from the same pool.   Just a note USAH refs in the IYHL make as much as 50-70 bucks a game, so we get what we pay for.   Shannon hyduk runs and schedules all our refs and if you're interested in reffing, email him shyduk@... or call 574-339-0012  Anyone, who has never reffed before should try it.  I have in the past reffed and it's a real eye opener.   Players always think they know more than the refs until they have tried it.

      Security fees are used to pay the security detail in the parking lot and was implemented last year.  Its $10 bucks a head and I figure it based on a team fee.  I am not in the mood to do a head count and if you're playing on two teams, the team contribution will be the same.  I base it on a 14 man roster, whether you have more or less.  So $140 per team.

      Insurance came in cheaper than I thought. I bid it out to two separate companies and so far we are at $15 bucks a head down from $25 last year.   I still have another quote to come in, but this is good news and not what I expected.   We have two policies.  One is an umbrella general liability policy that insures the ice box and any other facility we play at for $1 million and we have a accidental policy.  The accidental policy is a secondary to ones primary insurance with a $1000 deductible and a max payout of $25k.  This only kicks in if your primary doesn't cover everything.  In the case where one doesn't have primary insurance  this would be it.    We were contemplating going  with USAH but it only raises our costs, with the same or inferior coverage.   Our policy is based on whoever plays in the league and with USAH you must register and everyone must register in order for there to be coverage.   I am in Chicago during the week and don't have the time to babysit everyone and check who is and isn't registered.  This policy covers anyone on the ice...........period!   I base the fee on a roster of 14 guys.  If you have less or more, it's still the same.   So $210 per team

      The Sax tax is my management fee.  I put countless hours into the league and I use it to cover my league fees.  I will also be using it for the 2 $200 vouchers being raffled off at the Back to hockey day, and in the past we have used it for shooter tutors, a TV and backup goalie gear for the league.   It all goes back to the rink, and we have a surplus so I can sleep well at night.  I am tacking on $15 a team, or basically a buck a guy to cover this.   I don't feel guilty asking for it.

      So let's add it up

      So right now we are looking at a 30 game schedule for rec and C and 34 for A and B
      costs  based on 30 games $265 ice $22 each ref (to be voted on)
      ice/refs (265+44)/2 *30= $4635
      security $140 ($10 each based on a 14 man roster)
      insurance =$210 ($15 each based on a 14 man roster)
      "sax tax" =$15 ( to cover my league fees....and because I am a greedy bastard)
      total =$5000

      For the A/B and 34 games
      add (265+44)/2*4=$618  Let's just say $620 (I like round numbers)

      or $5620 for 34 games or even $5775 for 35 games

      Based on a 14 man roster
      30 games = $357  let's just say $360
      34 games = $401   let's say $400
      35 games =$413
      (can you tell I like numbers?)

      Last year we played 26 games for $4425= $170 a game and this year 30 games= $167 per game  or 34 games for $5620= $165 per game  So even though the team fee went up, the cost dropped slightly. I hope I haven't bored you to death, but I just wanted to show where I came up with that figure, and I am sure many of you are curious about it.

      So rec and C teams $5000 and A and B teams $5620 or $5775

      COLLECTIONS

      Guys collecting fees has always been the worst part of the job.  Yes I get comped for this but this summer has pushed me to the brink.  I am not at the rink as much as I used to be and some of the captains haven't been on top of this like they should be.   Captains are in charge of collecting fees, and at the time of writing this I still have a team that still owes for summer session.   This won't fly in the fall.  All teams have a few deadbeats that don't carry the teams financially and they will be outed at the captains meeting.   All league fees must be in by Sept 1st and teams who in the past have these people on their teams should drop them. We will let the captains know who they are and that if you want one of these guys on the team that they will have to pay up front.    I will post a link on the eteamz website of the rosters and payments as they are booked.

      PAYMENT OPTIONS

      Here are your options to pay, cash, check or pay pal.  Threes a PayPal link on the website where you can pay by credit card.  PayPal charges me 3%, so please include that if you want to go that route.  If you pay by check(s)  you can post date them.  If your team fee is $400 you can write me 2 checks for $200, 3 checks for $133 or 4 checks for $100 each dated Sept 1st, Oct 1st, Nov 1st, Dec 1st as an example.  You get the idea.   I will hold your check and deposit it on the date its written on.  Checks can be made out to me or SBSHL .  They can be dropped off at the rink and given to any rink worker to "drop in the safe" or mailed to my house

      Jeff Sax

      2804 s twyckenham dr

      south bend, IN 46614

      I am extremely flexible and willing to work with anyone who asks for it.   Once I get your payment I book it and post it next to your name on the roster website, so guys can check and see how your teams money has come in.   This also shows the others who on their team HASNT paid.  Games for the season won't be posted until the team is paid in full, so teams pick your players wisely.  Drop the dead weight!!  Please remember post dated checks are considered payment up front.   The hassle I have had in the past is emailing the captains on a weekly basis to get the fees in.  I cant continue to do this.   Maybe we need to tack on a late fee or reward those who pay early??    That will be decided at the captains meeting.

      DRAFT LEAGUE

      The rink at Notre dame, last time I heard is scheduled to open the end of October.   At this time the mens league doesnt plan on playing there. No beer, 50 minute games, USAH insurance are the big hurdles...... but who knows, things might change.   What I do want to do is have a B/C/Rec draft league of 4 teams play there Thursday nights over at Notre dame. I don't have the details at the current time, but I will be looking at that more closely in the next month or so when ND gets their schedule more concise.  I am looking at maybe 15-18 games, 48-52 guys and we will do a draft to pick teams.   Tentatively we are looking at Thursday nights, on a weekly basis.  I will keep you posted.

      So that is what I have for the time being.   I hope this answers all of your questions if you took the time to read this, but if you still have them, please let me know.

      219-898-5705

      “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”  Harry Truman