Re: [southbendhockey] Rat hockey March 31st-april 3rd

  • CHIP DIMOS
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
      5 IS GOOD -BUT EITHER WORKS 4 ME

      jeff sax <southbendhockey@...> wrote:
      Guys just wondering since everyone will be off and the season over. If
      I should stick with the 5 bucks I have been charging, run 90 minutes
      and risk having 40 guys show, or charge 10 and maybe drop a few guys
      from coming every night, and still run 90 minutes or possibly 2 hours
      if we can start on time? All the money goes to the icebox anyways, so
      to me it doesnt matter.

      I was thinking starting up around 8:30 monday, tuesday, thursday. I
      might take of wednesday to work on summer leagues and the upcoming
      tourney. Or I might not. I will let you know. I will probably run
      sat night too and maybe sunday if its open.

      So guys if you have a preference, let me know
      southbendhockey@ yaoo.com $5 or $10????

      Goalies are always free

    • Marci Brogan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
        7 seems to be a standard....
        90m for 7 should be an easy sell.

        To: southbendhockey@yahoogroups.com
        From: southbendhockey@...
        Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:57:20 +0000
        Subject: [southbendhockey] Rat hockey March 31st-april 3rd

        Guys just wondering since everyone will be off and the season over. If
        I should stick with the 5 bucks I have been charging, run 90 minutes
        and risk having 40 guys show, or charge 10 and maybe drop a few guys
        from coming every night, and still run 90 minutes or possibly 2 hours
        if we can start on time? All the money goes to the icebox anyways, so
        to me it doesnt matter.

        I was thinking starting up around 8:30 monday, tuesday, thursday. I
        might take of wednesday to work on summer leagues and the upcoming
        tourney. Or I might not. I will let you know. I will probably run
        sat night too and maybe sunday if its open.

        So guys if you have a preference, let me know
        southbendhockey@ yaoo.com $5 or $10????

        Goalies are always free

        How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here.
      • Marci Brogan
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008

          To: southbendhockey@yahoogroups.com
          From: southbendhockey@...
          Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:57:20 +0000

          Guys just wondering since everyone will be off and the season over. If
          I should stick with the 5 bucks I have been charging, run 90 minutes
          and risk having 40 guys show, or charge 10 and maybe drop a few guys
          from coming every night, and still run 90 minutes or possibly 2 hours
          if we can start on time? All the money goes to the icebox anyways, so
          to me it doesnt matter.

          I was thinking starting up around 8:30 monday, tuesday, thursday. I
          might take of wednesday to work on summer leagues and the upcoming
          tourney. Or I might not. I will let you know. I will probably run
          sat night too and maybe sunday if its open.

          So guys if you have a preference, let me know
          southbendhockey@ yaoo.com $5 or $10????

          Goalies are always free

          Test your Star IQ Play now!
        • Ed Graff
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
            I don't think price is as significant as numbers-should be limited to about 20 skaters by some means: maybe sign-up list, or prepay for a group of sessions, or just on a first-come basis. I would rather pay $10 with 20 than $5 with 40!

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
              ed thats a good point and most guys would rather pay the 10 for less players, with sign ups if people dont pay ahead of time, people wont show.  If its first come first serve, and a guy is driving 45 minutes to play what do you tell him??? were full???   Is 7 bucks OK...10 if you dont bring change.  Does that sound like a compromise????

              Ed Graff <ed.graff16@...> wrote:
[...]

              (574) 807-9175
              I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. ---Rodney Dangerfield

            • Erik LaBianca
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008

                Maybe there’s some sort of website you could use to collect the money, like meetup.com or something? Put in the schedule, say it’s 5 bucks and everybody pays online or whatever. If the slots are full, they’re full, and since people have paid you’ve got a good shot at them actually showing up and you’ll have a list of who has paid up. I’m 100% confident there are dozens of ways to allow people to sign up online, actually collecting the payment prior to allowing signup is a little trickier. I guess a little social ostracization could take care of the few folks that sign up and don’t show if you don’t require payment, too…

                If people are interested in online signups I can do a little looking into what technology might work for it.

                Personally I’d of course prefer to pay less, but like Ed I’d rather pay 10 bucks and know there’s a good game of 20 with two guys in net than pay 5 and run the risk of no ice time or no goalies. The gasoline in driving to the ice box and back is just about more expensive than the ice time.

                --erik

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                  On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:15:26 pm jeff sax wrote:
                  > ed thats a good point and most guys would rather pay the 10 for less
                  > players, with sign ups if people dont pay ahead of time, people wont show.
                  > If its first come first serve, and a guy is driving 45 minutes to play what
                  > do you tell him??? were full??? Is 7 bucks OK...10 if you dont bring
                  > change. Does that sound like a compromise????

                  I am going to be coming from MC and being told I have to go back and not
                  play wouldn't be good. I would rather know before I leave the house. (gas
                  costs to much these days to waste it)

                  10 bucks is awefully cheap to me. It costs at least double that when I played
                  in Florida and Illinois.

                  Thanks,
                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                    Erik I think we are overcomplicating this.  We are talking 2 weeks and then summer season starts and no more rat besides sat nights, and for sat nights during the summer it was never too crowded, in fact last year we cancelled due to lack of interest. I dont know whats going to happen.  I think the ice box would be happy with at least 100-150 bucks, so if we have a huge crowd we charge 5 and if its less than 15 then its 10.  I think thats fair.   And if we have a huge crowd I will run it for 2 hours.

                    We might even start earlier to accomodate that, but since I have to lock up and work the next day.  earlier might be better.

                    Let me just confim the ice is open, check with my wife,  and I will shoot out email tomorrow for the times

                    thanks for everyones input though

                    www.eteamz.com/ sbshl

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                      I think prepaying for maybe 5-10 sessions at a time (with no refund for no-show) would work best-the money is assured &you don't have to collect every time. Keeping number of times small makes it less of a time commitment especially for summer. I have also played with a group in Kalamazoo where we signed up by phone, email or in person & were responsible for payment even if didn't make it: had to pay at next session before you could skate again. This actually worked worked well, shortly settling down to pretty much the same core of skaters.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                        didn't realize this was for only couple of weeks, but still think do something to keep numbers down-even with a longer session, it's the time on the bench between shifts that's a drag.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                          Jeff, I'll pay the extra with less or even a pre-pay sign up.  I think most of us who live 45 minutes away would rather do that than spend the money in gas to find out we can't play or that we're sitting on the bench most of the time.