tailstock work

  • guycad@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      I am working on the reconstruction of a SB 10K

      one small milestone....

      I manufactured a new tailstock feed screw.

      When I got my lathe, the tailstock handle was smashed. I found a replacement on ebay. The tapered pin hole didn`t match with the original feed screw hole.

      There was also a lot of wear on the threads. the decision was not hard: manufacture an new screw.

      Something interesting I noted: Although it looks like a ACME screw 1/2-10 LH the screw profile is slightly different on the original part the root of the thread is slightly rounded. I manufactured the new screw with the sntandard ACME profile. (some backlash because of the wear on the tailstock quill threads)

      My part is made of mild steel. Anybody has a better suggestion for a better steel (alloy steel) with good machining capability? (eventually, I will make a better one) and I also need to cut new cross feed screw.)

      Guy Cadrin

      (the cross feed screws are real ACME profile)