weight of a 16" SB

  • richard jensen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2005
      Hello,
      A buddy of mine just came up with a 16"x96" gap bed lineshaft
      driven SB lathe and he's looking for a weight on it. He's trying to
      figure out how to move it. Any ideas?

      Thanks
      Richard
    • Bob Wright
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2005
        I think its about 2,300 or so pounds. The best way to move it is with
        some heavy dollys under each end. But they can be scarce. Try to
        disamemble as much as possible and maybe take the motor off. Ops its a
        lineshaft so it may not have a motor. Get a truck with a lift gate
        also, but its 8' so that might not work either...Bob
        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "richard jensen"
        <richardviper@h...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > A buddy of mine just came up with a 16"x96" gap bed lineshaft
        > driven SB lathe and he's looking for a weight on it. He's trying to
        > figure out how to move it. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Richard

      • mendoje1
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2005
          I have a SB catalog from June 1st, 1925. A model No. 40-E (change
          gears) or No. 69-E (quick change), which is 16-1/4" swing x 8ft bed
          length, is 1860 lbs crated, which includes the line shaft, and all
          accessories.

          The gap bed conversion is also shown in the catalog. No weights are
          shown, as it was an option for all lathes from 11" to 24", all bed
          lengths.

          Just for reference, in 1925 the catalog price for the 40-E/69-E was
          $438/$498. Add $40 for the gap bed option for a 16", which increases
          the swing to 24".

          Jeff