Re: visit to Plaza Machinery

  • Bob Wright
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hey Guy, You are just a hop skip and a jump from Joe. I know a caster
      that can make you a cast iron tailstock base part. How far are you
      from Niagra Falls? Momma is looking for a road trip...Bob
      --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "carbure2003" <guycad@n...>

    • guycad@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Just to give you an idea, I am living about 6 km from Parlement Hill in Ottawa, on the north side of Ottawa River.

        I figure it would be about 6 hour drive.

        I also heard of a foundry in L'Islet, Que that casts cast Iron.

        Lee Valley Tools get their planes casted in a foundry somewhere in Ontario.

        There are many options

        Not a good timing with the gas price skyroketing.

        I also have the option to machine one off mild steel.

        The reason I need a new base is that it got about 0.022 in wear on the bottom. I tried to get it clad welded but it didn't work out OK

        Thickness of my base needs to be 0.881"

        Lathe is still far from being operational. I still have a 12" Atlas lathe in very good condition.

        Before I challenge the scraping of the new scrap bed, I want to finish the scraping of the original bed, in order to find out all the steps I could screw up. (I already made many mistakes. That is what happens when nobody can teach you.)

        Guy Cadrin
        Gatineau, QC