visit to Plaza Machinery

  • carbure2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2005
      Hello everybody

      Last week, drove down to Bethel in order to go to Plaza machinery.

      (475 km door to door)

      I am in the process of rebuilding a SB 10K, and I was looking for a
      few replacement parts.

      I have been received very well by Joe. I walked around his store a
      few times and picked up a few accessories for my 10K

      telescopic follower rest (almost new, just paint chips, one locking
      screw missing)
      rear drive V belt cone pulley (one sheave with little damage)
      (I had already found on ebay the headstock cone pulley that needs re-
      conditioning. (new bushing in order to remove the play))
      3C Hex collet.

      Although they were in some cases expensive items (plus exchange rate)
      I consider I made very good deals. Every item I picked up was below
      the average ebay end of auction rates.

      I also got a scrap 42" bed. This a bed that Joe considered scrap. I
      looked at it, yes it is damaged, but with much less wear than my
      actual bed. (it is dirty with rust) None the less, it is going to be
      much easier to recondition than the one I am working on. (he only
      had 1 scrap bed at this time. He scrapped 17 last year)

      I might have 0.001 in or less of metal to remove on the V ways and
      tailstock ways (scraping). Too bad that the previous owner used it
      as an anvil on some spots. (scraping will get rid of those marks as
      they are not too deep.) This bed had the adjustable levelling foot.

      I am still missing two pieces (tailstock base and taper attachment
      sliding block) in order to complete the parts required for the
      machine. I might try to find a foundry in order to cast the
      tailstock base. It might end up not being cast iron but bronze.

      I am also still missing 2 6K collets metric: 5.5 and 7.5 mm

      It is always good to do business with Joe. He has a lot of stuff in
      his wharehouse It is the third time I visit him.

      He had a nice 10K lathe with underneath drive, 54 in bed. I think it
      was for sale. Minimum wear on the ways; scraping marks still visible
      on the whole lenght

      He has many steady rests for South Bend as well as threading dials.
      No they are not originals, but look exactly as the originals

      lot of collets various types

      even a master precision straight edge for sale

      Guy Cadrin
      Gatineau, QC
      Canada
    • Bob Wright
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hey Guy, You are just a hop skip and a jump from Joe. I know a caster
        that can make you a cast iron tailstock base part. How far are you
        from Niagra Falls? Momma is looking for a road trip...Bob
        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "carbure2003" <guycad@n...>

      • guycad@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Just to give you an idea, I am living about 6 km from Parlement Hill in Ottawa, on the north side of Ottawa River.

          I figure it would be about 6 hour drive.

          I also heard of a foundry in L'Islet, Que that casts cast Iron.

          Lee Valley Tools get their planes casted in a foundry somewhere in Ontario.

          There are many options

          Not a good timing with the gas price skyroketing.

          I also have the option to machine one off mild steel.

          The reason I need a new base is that it got about 0.022 in wear on the bottom. I tried to get it clad welded but it didn't work out OK

          Thickness of my base needs to be 0.881"

          Lathe is still far from being operational. I still have a 12" Atlas lathe in very good condition.

          Before I challenge the scraping of the new scrap bed, I want to finish the scraping of the original bed, in order to find out all the steps I could screw up. (I already made many mistakes. That is what happens when nobody can teach you.)

          Guy Cadrin
          Gatineau, QC