Re: [southbend10k] Re: 10K - Need to remove spindle.

  • Earl White
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 10, 2013
      Ed,

        The top oiler is a total loss system. That makes sense. I was going to pull the spindle and have a look for a lot of years on that one an I never did. Well, It's hard to tell how much oil is in there and so you just have to oil it till it leaks out again. Like a Ford.

      Thanks Ed

      Now it's off to the shop again and I'm cleaning the gears on the left end and re-assembling them, then the apron and leadscrew cleanup, then the cross slide leadscrew........

      I can see why some guys dunk the whole thing in solvent and then take it apart. Much easier.

      EW

      On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Ed S <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

      Hi Earl,

      The top oilers are called total loss oil systems. There is no
      reservoir to hold the oil. Well there are felts along the spindle to
      wipe the oil onto the spindle and they do hold some oil. You put it
      in the top and yes it all leaks out. It is supposed to. There is no
      place else for it to go. Some folks use slow drip oilers. So maybe
      you were putting in to much oil, hard to say. But the test for the
      spindle clearance is the SB lift test. There should be about .001
      clearance between the spindle and the bearings. This is adjusted by
      adding or removing shims.

      The theory was they way the bearings are designed a film of oil would
      form between the spindle and the bearing and they would not touch, so
      with the proper clearance, the proper felts and the proper oil, the
      spindle should not wear.

      The side oilers still leak a little, it actually lubes other parts.
      But most of the oil goes back into the reservoir along with crude so
      you have to clean it out once in awhile.

      Good to hear you got your v-belt drive working.

      Ed S