Back Plate

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
      I bought a 5C chuck about five years ago using a purchased backing plate. The spindle registration was about .020" over and I have used it ever since. When Dennis Turke posted his instruction for fitting a back plate, it went on my list of things I wanted to do.

      I finally got around to this project. Since the spindle registration is so close to the head, I couldn't get a micrometer close enough to take an accurate measurement. Instead of removing the spindle, I bored a hole in a piece of 1.75" stock and fitted it to the spindle.

      I found the spindle registration smaller than the OD of the threads. I blued up the test piece that barely fits over the threads to examine the fit. I found blueing on the threads but not on the spindle registration.

      I remember Dennis saying the Southbend registration was larger, so you needed to buy a Southbend chuck. I'm measuring 1.4974", but I don't feel comfortable with that since I can't measure it very well as described above.

      Has anyone else experienced this? Should I grind the threads down a few thou to get below the spindle registration?

      Thank you

      John
    • guycad@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
        Register on my SB 10K is between 1.510 and 1.511" diameter

        Protect Voting Rights!
        Stand with the DGA. Tell Congress to reinstate the Voting Rights Act.
        democraticgovernors.org