10K horizontal drive questions

  • Mike Wirth
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2013
    Folks,

    Have had a 36" 10K for several years -- love it.  Motor recently ingested some fine aluminum swarf, which apparently caused a short in the centrifugal switch, tripping the GFI outlet from which the motor is powered.  Net result is that I got the opportunity :-) to tear down the horizontal drive, clean up everything, file the contacts on the drum switch, paint some parts and make a new wiring harness for the motor.

    My drive is as detailed on the exploded parts diagram on page 17 (p. 21 of the PDF file) of the online manual, labeled "10K Horizontal Drive Unit, Model A, B and C", with one modification -- I substituted a flat rubber automotive (serpentine) belt for the leather one.  (Had to disassemble the headstock, but it was worth it.)

    And I have some missing, nonstandard or worn out parts (with my inferred purpose)
    • 48,49: cap & spring (motor mount tilt spring) -- missing
    • 41(2 ea): rubber pads (V-belt tension) -- worn
    • 8: screw (fastens front of belt rod assembly) -- wrong substitute
    My primary question is how things should work, specifically the interplay of the belt rod (33) & turnbuckle (34) assembly and the motor mount tilt spring/cap (48 & 49) in determining flat belt tension. (Looked in the usual places, e.g., HtRaL and other online docs, but didn't find anything for this situation.)
    • Should the belt tension be determined by the turnbuckle and belt rod in compression?  Is the front screw just a fastening of the belt rod fork (11), or is it an adjuster?
    • Does the "tilt" spring (49) and cap (48) apply any tension to the belt, or are they just a soft place for the motor mount to land when the belt tension is released?  How strong is the spring? (I got a 1" OD, 0.147" steel wire spring at the HW store, which seems very stiff.) What length?
    Rubber pads (41) for the internal tilting motor hanger (42) seem a simpler case: Just adjust the thumb screws (36) which, with the weight of the motor, adjust the V-belt tension from the motor pulley to the large pulley (2).  Correct?

    TIA,

    Mike
    Palo Alto, California

  • Peter Merriam
    Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2013
      Mike
      It appears you did not get a reply yet, so I did a bit of dismantling  and measuring:
      • Should the belt tension be determined by the turnbuckle and belt rod in compression? YES
      • Is the front screw just a fastening of the belt rod fork (11)YES, or is it an adjuster? NO
      • Does the "tilt" spring (49) and cap (48) apply any tension to the belt NO, or are they just a soft place for the motor mount to land when the belt tension is released? YES  How strong is the spring? (I got a 1" OD, 0.147" steel wire spring at the HW store (PERFECT! Mine is  1” OD, 0.146” wire), which seems very stiff.) What length? (Mine is 1.9” long, not including the cap. My cap was lost during delivery, so I made one.)
        Rubber pads (41) for the internal tilting motor hanger (42) seem a simpler case: Just adjust the thumb screws (36) which, with the weight of the motor, adjust the V-belt tension from the motor pulley to the large pulley (2).  Correct?  YES, I believe you are right!
      I hope this helps, but if you need something else, let us know.
      Peter

      Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:52 PM
      Subject: [southbend10k] 10K horizontal drive questions [1 Attachment]

        Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 5:52 PM