Re: [southbend10k] home page photo inquiry

  • Eggleston Lance
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2013

      On Mar 31, 2013, at 5:28 PM, dolphin_79605 wrote:

       I would enjoy reading more about the details,

      The parting tool is upside down and mounted from the back, on center.

      motivations, advantages,
      Less chance for dig it or dive under.
       If a snag is had, the tool pushes up and away.
      Much like a spring tool from the front.

      disadvantages
      often lack of room to do the set up.

      and etc.

      Some lathes have a double tool rest Xslide,
      with the rear post always set up as the parting tool.

      lance
      ++++
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2013
        The Photo on our home page belongs to Bob Wright. The cutoff tool is circular shaped, somewhat like a step cam. Bob has an MLA T Slot cross slide on his 10K which makes mounting the rear post easy. You can read about it by going to the home page, clicking on Messages and type in "Rear Mounted Tool Post" in the search box. It should return that thread that was back in 2008 or 09. The thread may also contain links with more photos of Bob taking some heavy parting cuts with it.

        Chris
        Moderator.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2013
          Mick
          I do not want to lead you off some where you find a little more appealing so come back and see us from time to time. Here is a thread that Paula has used the

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2013
            Mick
            Well my finger got in a hurry. The address is:
            This is a nvery nice group and a great bunch of guys and galls. Paula did the machining from raw casting. every bit of machining with lots of info. The castings came from:
            http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/S-4382.html These folks are super people to dealwith they have been around for a while.
            Hope this was helpful. What you are asking for, you will not find it unless someone like Paula wanting it on his machine. By the way the Practical Machinist group is one of them that you can loose hours surfing and reading.
            Good luck and best wishes
            Nelson Collar