South Bend 9A/10K UMD questions on V belt and question on xfeed assembly bearing

  • carbure2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
      A few weeks ago I bought a 9A tool room lathe UMD with 42" bed.

      It seems to be a model manufactured between 1953 and 1954 according to the Serial No. Unfortunately it lost its taper attachment. It was missing a few parts that I already had in my spare box. The overall condition of the machine is very good. With a test mandrel between centres, a dial indicator moves a max of 0.001" (lathe able to perform work plus or minus 0.002" over the full length). The bed is very clean, only a few dints around the headstock. I am preparing the bed for a full re-scrape that I expect to take about one month by evenings (I am not working every night on it). It will be my 2nd lathe rebuild. (My 10K rear drive is almost perfect). I am in the process of checking the tools I used in the scraping process for the other lathe.

      I mam investigating conversion to V belt. (take the V belts from my 10K). I have seen a few occurrences on ebay and Youtube of UMD with V belt configuration. The issue I am facing is that Link belts 5/8" wide are riding just above the top of the pulley. The other issue associated to these belts is that it seems to be extremely difficult to put the belt on the large pulley on the headstock and there might be interference with the back gear pulley shaft when basck gear is engaged. On the rear drive 10K I have I don't face this issue as I am using a continuous V belt

      Did anyone make similar observations and find a corrective action? Substitute belt?

      I am also investigating the conversion to large dials. Many years ago, I recall an article in Home shop Machinist there was an article written by somebody that made a telescopic taper attachment for 9/10K South Bend lathes. In this article he was explaining how to convert to large dials. I currently have all the components required but I ned to change the bearings on the cross feed assembly. Does anybody have a bearing No for substitute? I checked the SKF catalog and cannot find anything that would suit the need. (On SB part List it is Bearing AS841R1)

      Guy Cadrin
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        There are 7 parts to this large dial vid that's based on Steve Wells design plans. This is part 1.

        Chris

        This email has been sent by the Moderator:

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          >Does anybody have a bearing No for substitute?

          Guy.
          The bearings you need are made by Boston Gear.
          The are the same OD and ID but are just a bit thicker. You will need to machine something to use them.
          There are two notes in the files section on converting both the cross and compound dials. The part number should be in thse notes. I did not find them.
          If they are not there I can search the BG catalog. BG only sells through distributors. MSC is one.
          Let me know if you find them. I have used them on my 405 and Heavy 10.

          I believe Grizzly has originals. Ted (Latheman2) may also have some.

[...]

          Jim B
          Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            Damn! I forgot the link!

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
              The notes are on the southbendlathe group.
              Jim B
              Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX
            • Steve Wells
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2013
                Hi Guy,
                Hope you are doing well.
                I would really be interested in seeing the telescopic taper conversion if you can take pictures through the project that would be great.
                Im going to try to post some new content to the website and that sounds like a great read.
                The bearings you need for the gear side of the handle shaft is Boston Gear 17195, I order them from MSC and their part number is 03548591,
                this is for a Bearing set that includes 2 flat washers, you can follow the SBL instructions for refit but I consider these the drop in replacement,
                although you do need to remove material to refit, it's a minor job as the closer fitting is in the dial/handle and front CF sleeve.
                In the front bushing and under the sleeve you can use the same bearing set (17195) or you can use an INA TC613 flat needle bearing and the matching INA
                TWA613 flat washers, the MSC part numers for these are (1) 03380896 and (2) 03381068. The INA set is the bearing to use under the compound dial too.
                Hope That helped.
                and PS...I have a large dial handle blank that has the gear pre-cut, the shaft is the full OD of the Gear blank, so it has to be turned to size. $30.00.

                Steve Wells