RE: [southbend10k] 10K Model A (1966 yr made) Motor Drive Belt

  • KA9EGW
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
      'm betting it's a B36, BX36 or 5L3800...you'd THINK a 38-incher would be
      either a B38 or a BX38 but 'tain't so according to the McMaster book...I
      buy my v-belts at Farm and Fleet, or Tractor Supply, or Ace Hardware...or
      for the longer-than-those-places stock there's always the local John Deere
      dealer. There's also always mcmaster.com but then I pay 7 or 8 bucks in
      freight on a $8 belt...

      Lurch

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
        Thank you.

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Ed wrote:

        > Buck,
        >
        > Welcome to the group.
        >
        > Difficult to get a belt number, too many variables. Take your belt to
        > NAPA, they can measure it properly, then you can decide on a size
        > you want. Ask if you can exchange it if it to to big or small. Have
        > fun because they get that deer in the head lights look when you do
        > not have a car year, make, and model.
        >
        > Ed S
        >
        > At 03:05 PM 2/11/2013, you wrote:
        > >

        > > Maybe NAPA would have it?
        > >Thanks,
        > >Buck

      • kabowers336
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 11, 2013
          On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:05:06 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >I am new to the group and you can call me Buck, or Buckskin...... I feel like there was divine intervention when I found this group earlier, today. I aquired a SBL 10k, model A, several months back and it was partially disassembled, but I have the QC gears, the carrage and various parts reassembled now and in good working order. The headstock was intact and I have some drag/binding issues that I am working on that I will post later if I do not resolve the problem after reading messages already posted to the group.
          >
          >But, my question now is about the V drive belt underneath in the cabinet. I replaced the flat belt, so no problem there. But, the V belt is old and ragged and slips. I measured the length of the belt at 39.75" (OD) X 5/8" wide at top. The belt reads South Bend Lathe CE-SL400 (can't make out the other number.) Anyhow, the SB product data indicates that their are two different lentgh 5/8" belts. One is 38" and the other is 40". I am sure I will need the 38" as my motor adjustment is at the max and this 39.75" slips. Do any of you know of a replacement belt number(s) for my old belt? Maybe NAPA would have it?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Buck

          This is probably close:
          href="http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/B35%205L380--b35-or-5l380-v-belt.html"