Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [southbend10k] Identify Missing Parts

Expand Messages
  • Ed
    Asaf, I do not know what those extra parts are. But be sure you DO NOT remove that Air Force label. I have a banjo for sale that fits a 9 lathe.... I do not
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Asaf,

      I do not know what those extra parts are.

      But be sure you DO NOT remove that Air Force label.

      I have a banjo for sale that fits a 9" lathe.... I do not know if it
      fits yours.

      Where are you located? I am in Toledo, Ohio USA, Earth.

      Ed S

      At 01:50 PM 2/6/2013, you wrote:
      >
      >
      >Hi. I uploaded a few pictures of my new lathe under 10R Lathe. It is
      >the one with the smaller spindle. Mine is a d1-3. I am missing the
      >whole gear train. No idler gear / banjo bracket / screw gear etc...
      >I am not really sure exactly what I am missing though. I tried to
      >find pictures on the web but with no success. Can anyone tell me
      >what I will need? Any pictures of a 10R/10L gear train? (I assume
      >the 10R and the 10L are the same).
      >Also, came with the lathe 2 parts that I am not sure what they are
      >and if they got to do with the lathe or not. Can anyone identify
      >them? (They are the pictures named "what is this".
      >Thank you very much. I appreciate any help.
      >Asaf
      >
    • Jim B.
      The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group. You need to sort out which gearbox you have.
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group.

        You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
        All the data you need is there but you must join.
        Jim B
      • leibushor
        Thank you. It is a double tumbler. I will look it up. Asaf L
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Thank you. It is a double tumbler. I will look it up.
          Asaf L

          --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Jim B." wrote:
          >
          > The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group.
          >
          > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
          > All the data you need is there but you must join.
          > Jim B
          >
        • Steve Wilson
          Didn t notice to begins with this was the 10K group but this has been an answered thread already. Not sure how much this will help you. The banjo assembly is
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Didn't notice to begins with this was the 10K group but this has been an answered thread already.
            Not sure how much this will help you. The banjo assembly is broken here. There is a difference on the last gears to the gearbox between a double tumbler and a single tumbler.
            This is my old 10R head. I replaced it with a 10L head with a D1-4 spindle.
            http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/10R.html
            This is a slightly different angled view but the last 2 gears to the gearbox are different for a double tumbler gearbox. You are seeing a single tumbler gearbox here.
            http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2230064.JPG
            http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2240068.JPG
            to see more views try here:
            http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/
            Steve

            On 2/6/2013 1:48 PM, leibushor wrote:
             


            Thank you. It is a double tumbler. I will look it up.
            Asaf L

            --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Jim B." wrote:
            >
            > The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group.
            >
            > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
            > All the data you need is there but you must join.
            > Jim B
            >


          • leibushor
            Thank you Steve.
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              Thank you Steve.

              --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Steve Wilson wrote:
              >
              > Didn't notice to begins with this was the 10K group but this has been an
              > answered thread already.
              > Not sure how much this will help you. The banjo assembly is broken here.
              > There is a difference on the last gears to the gearbox between a double
              > tumbler and a single tumbler.
              > This is my old 10R head. I replaced it with a 10L head with a D1-4 spindle.
              > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/10R.html
              > This is a slightly different angled view but the last 2 gears to the
              > gearbox are different for a double tumbler gearbox. You are seeing a
              > single tumbler gearbox here.
              > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2230064.JPG
              > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2240068.JPG
              > to see more views try here:
              > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/
              > Steve
              >
              > On 2/6/2013 1:48 PM, leibushor wrote:
              > >
              > >
              > > Thank you. It is a double tumbler. I will look it up.
              > > Asaf L
              > >
              > > --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com
              > > , "Jim B." wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main
              > > southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group.
              > > >
              > > > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single
              > > tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
              > > > All the data you need is there but you must join.
              > > > Jim B
              > > >
              > >
              > >
              >
            • Steve Wilson
              Hope it helps. Steve
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Hope it helps.
                Steve

                On 2/6/2013 3:41 PM, leibushor wrote:
                 

                Thank you Steve.

                --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Steve Wilson wrote:
                >
                > Didn't notice to begins with this was the 10K group but this has been an
                > answered thread already.
                > Not sure how much this will help you. The banjo assembly is broken here.
                > There is a difference on the last gears to the gearbox between a double
                > tumbler and a single tumbler.
                > This is my old 10R head. I replaced it with a 10L head with a D1-4 spindle.
                > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/10R.html
                > This is a slightly different angled view but the last 2 gears to the
                > gearbox are different for a double tumbler gearbox. You are seeing a
                > single tumbler gearbox here.
                > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2230064.JPG
                > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/P2240068.JPG
                > to see more views try here:
                > http://www.wilzone.org/Southbend/
                > Steve
                >
                > On 2/6/2013 1:48 PM, leibushor wrote:
                > >
                > >
                > > Thank you. It is a double tumbler. I will look it up.
                > > Asaf L
                > >
                > > --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com
                > > , "Jim B." wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The Heavy 10 data is in the files section of either the main
                > > southbendlathe group or the southbendheavy10 group.
                > > >
                > > > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single
                > > tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
                > > > All the data you need is there but you must join.
                > > > Jim B
                > > >
                > >
                > >
                >


              • leibushor
                Thank you Ed. I think the 9 is different than the 10L. I am in Sacramento CA.
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Thank you Ed. I think the 9" is different than the 10L.
                  I am in Sacramento CA.


                  --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Ed wrote:
                  >
                  > Asaf,
                  >
                  > I do not know what those extra parts are.
                  >
                  > But be sure you DO NOT remove that Air Force label.
                  >
                  > I have a banjo for sale that fits a 9" lathe.... I do not know if it
                  > fits yours.
                  >
                  > Where are you located? I am in Toledo, Ohio USA, Earth.
                  >
                  > Ed S
                  >
                  > At 01:50 PM 2/6/2013, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >Hi. I uploaded a few pictures of my new lathe under 10R Lathe. It is
                  > >the one with the smaller spindle. Mine is a d1-3. I am missing the
                  > >whole gear train. No idler gear / banjo bracket / screw gear etc...
                  > >I am not really sure exactly what I am missing though. I tried to
                  > >find pictures on the web but with no success. Can anyone tell me
                  > >what I will need? Any pictures of a 10R/10L gear train? (I assume
                  > >the 10R and the 10L are the same).
                  > >Also, came with the lathe 2 parts that I am not sure what they are
                  > >and if they got to do with the lathe or not. Can anyone identify
                  > >them? (They are the pictures named "what is this".
                  > >Thank you very much. I appreciate any help.
                  > >Asaf
                  > >
                  >
                • anthrhodes
                  He has the late double tumbler gearbox with 70 ratios from 4 TPI through 480 TPI, best of the lot in my opinion. He has all the gears and hardware from the
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    He has the late double tumbler gearbox with 70 ratios from 4 TPI through 480 TPI, best of the lot in my opinion.
                     
                    He has all the gears and hardware from the spindle gear down through the tumbler reverse, including the stud gear, presumably a 40. He does NOT have anything between the stud gear and the gearbox. So he needs the banjo, the screw gear, and anything which would mount on the banjo.
                     
                    This presumes he doesn't have a carton of odd parts somewhere, also that everything from the spindle through the stud gear and everything from and within the basic gearbox all the way to the right hand leadscrew bearing are there and in good shape, nothing needing replacement.
                     
                    Anthony
                    Berkeley, Calif.
                    **************************************************
                    In a message dated Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:09 am (PST), Jim B. writes:
                    You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
                    All the data you need is there but you must join
                  • leibushor
                    Thank you Anthony. Asaf Sacramento, CA
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thank you Anthony.
                      Asaf
                      Sacramento, CA

                      --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:
                      >
                      > He has the late double tumbler gearbox with 70 ratios from 4 TPI through
                      > 480 TPI, best of the lot in my opinion.
                      >
                      > He has all the gears and hardware from the spindle gear down through the
                      > tumbler reverse, including the stud gear, presumably a 40. He does NOT have
                      > anything between the stud gear and the gearbox. So he needs the banjo, the
                      > screw gear, and anything which would mount on the banjo.
                      >
                      > This presumes he doesn't have a carton of odd parts somewhere, also that
                      > everything from the spindle through the stud gear and everything from and
                      > within the basic gearbox all the way to the right hand leadscrew bearing are
                      > there and in good shape, nothing needing replacement.
                      >
                      > Anthony
                      > Berkeley, Calif.
                      > **************************************************
                      >
                      > In a message dated Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:09 am (PST), Jim B. writes:
                      >
                      > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and
                      > a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
                      > All the data you need is there but you must join
                      >
                    • leibushor
                      Do you know the idler and screw gear sizes that I ll need? I was reading that 80t and 56t are the standard but that is with a 20t stud gear and mine is 40t.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Do you know the idler and screw gear sizes that I'll need? I was reading that 80t and 56t are the standard but that is with a 20t stud gear and mine is 40t.
                        Thanks.
                        Asaf
                        Sacramento, CA

                        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:
                        >
                        > He has the late double tumbler gearbox with 70 ratios from 4 TPI through
                        > 480 TPI, best of the lot in my opinion.
                        >
                        > He has all the gears and hardware from the spindle gear down through the
                        > tumbler reverse, including the stud gear, presumably a 40. He does NOT have
                        > anything between the stud gear and the gearbox. So he needs the banjo, the
                        > screw gear, and anything which would mount on the banjo.
                        >
                        > This presumes he doesn't have a carton of odd parts somewhere, also that
                        > everything from the spindle through the stud gear and everything from and
                        > within the basic gearbox all the way to the right hand leadscrew bearing are
                        > there and in good shape, nothing needing replacement.
                        >
                        > Anthony
                        > Berkeley, Calif.
                        > **************************************************
                        >
                        > In a message dated Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:09 am (PST), Jim B. writes:
                        >
                        > You need to sort out which gearbox you have. There is a single tumbler and
                        > a double tumbler version and the drives are different.
                        > All the data you need is there but you must join
                        >
                      • anthrhodes
                        Asaf, I have a gearbox like your s, not installed. Unfortunately I don t know the screw gear for certain but if you can determine the tooth counts of the gear
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Asaf,
                           
                          I have a gearbox like your's, not installed. Unfortunately I don't know the screw gear for certain but if you can determine the tooth counts of the gear on the leadscrew where it exits the box, and the gear inside the box with which it meshes, the correct tooth count for the screw gear can be calculated
                           
                          To illustrate, the 48 ratio double lever gearbox uses a 40 on the stud and a 56 as a screw gear. The reason is that the final gearing inside the gearbox is the 28 on the cone driving a 20 on the leadscrew. Forget all the other internal gearing except the 28/20,
                           
                          40/56 x 28/20 = 40/20 x 28/56 = 2-/ x 1/2 = 1.
                           
                          If the final gearing inside the gearbox is 28 driving 20 the screw gear will be 56.
                          If the final gearing inside the gearbox is 30 driving 30 the screw gear will be 40.
                          Any other final drive gear pair can be used to determine the correct screw gear.
                           
                          I'm virtually certain that the standard idler is an 80 but it can be anything which will span the space from the stud gear to the screw gear.
                           
                          If you have a means by which you can do this, use a gear or anything else on the input shaft of the gearbox to rotate the shaft in 360 degree units. Put the gearbox levers in the 8 TPI setting. Mark the input and the leadscrew so that you can tell when they come back around to their starting point. Now rotate the input shaft of the gearbox exactly 5 full turns and keep track of the leadscrew turns as you turn the input. If the leadscrew turns 5 times for 5 turns of the input the internal ratio is 1:1. If the leadscrew turns 7 times for 5 turns of the input the internal ratio is 7:5 (which = 28/20). 1:1 use a 40 screw gear, 7:5 use a 56 screw gear.
                           
                          Hope that I haven't confused the issue for you.
                           
                          Anthony
                          Berkeley, Calif.
                          ***********************************************
                          In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:33 am (PST), leibushor writes:
                          Do you know the idler and screw gear sizes that I'll need? I was reading that 80t and 56t are the standard but that is with a 20t stud gear and mine is 40t.
                        • leibushor
                          Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its mating one.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in your box? Can I assume mine are the same?

                            --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:
                            >
                            > Asaf,
                            >
                            > I have a gearbox like your's, not installed. Unfortunately I don't know the
                            > screw gear for certain but if you can determine the tooth counts of the
                            > gear on the leadscrew where it exits the box, and the gear inside the box
                            > with which it meshes, the correct tooth count for the screw gear can be
                            > calculated
                            >
                            > To illustrate, the 48 ratio double lever gearbox uses a 40 on the stud and
                            > a 56 as a screw gear. The reason is that the final gearing inside the
                            > gearbox is the 28 on the cone driving a 20 on the leadscrew. Forget all the
                            > other internal gearing except the 28/20,
                            >
                            > 40/56 x 28/20 = 40/20 x 28/56 = 2-/ x 1/2 = 1.
                            >
                            > If the final gearing inside the gearbox is 28 driving 20 the screw gear
                            > will be 56.
                            > If the final gearing inside the gearbox is 30 driving 30 the screw gear
                            > will be 40.
                            > Any other final drive gear pair can be used to determine the correct screw
                            > gear.
                            >
                            > I'm virtually certain that the standard idler is an 80 but it can be
                            > anything which will span the space from the stud gear to the screw gear.
                            >
                            > If you have a means by which you can do this, use a gear or anything else
                            > on the input shaft of the gearbox to rotate the shaft in 360 degree units.
                            > Put the gearbox levers in the 8 TPI setting. Mark the input and the
                            > leadscrew so that you can tell when they come back around to their starting point.
                            > Now rotate the input shaft of the gearbox exactly 5 full turns and keep
                            > track of the leadscrew turns as you turn the input. If the leadscrew turns 5
                            > times for 5 turns of the input the internal ratio is 1:1. If the leadscrew
                            > turns 7 times for 5 turns of the input the internal ratio is 7:5 (which =
                            > 28/20). 1:1 use a 40 screw gear, 7:5 use a 56 screw gear.
                            >
                            > Hope that I haven't confused the issue for you.
                            >
                            > Anthony
                            > Berkeley, Calif.
                            > ***********************************************
                            >
                            > In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:33 am (PST), leibushor writes:
                            >
                            > Do you know the idler and screw gear sizes that I'll need? I was reading
                            > that 80t and 56t are the standard but that is with a 20t stud gear and mine
                            > is 40t.
                            >
                          • anthrhodes
                            Asaf, I looked at my gearbox and I can give you some info but not all. First point, your gearbox WILL be the same as mine. I looked at the range selector gears
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 8, 2013
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Asaf,
                               
                              I looked at my gearbox and I can give you some info but not all.
                               
                              First point, your gearbox WILL be the same as mine.
                               
                              I looked at the range selector gears (my term for the A-B-C-D-E-F-G positions) and the cone gears. I didn't bother checking the gears in the levers but could if necessary.
                               
                              To get the range selector gears out of the way, they are made up of 16s and 32s, some compounded together to generate the divisions by two which are a feature of most Norton-pattern gearboxes. Take note that 16 + 32 = 48 which defines the center-to-center distances of the shafts. I made a rough measure which I expected to come out 1.5" which would have meant the gears were 16 DP but my measurement came out roughly 1.7". 24 (half the tooth count of meshing gears added together) divided by 1.7 = 14.1176, so all the gears inside the box are 14 DP, just so people will know.
                               
                              The ones your interested in are the cone gears. Look on your gearbox at the pitch chart, the TPIs in the 3rd row qre the same as the tooth counts in the cone. To make it easy on you, the numbers are 16-18-20-22-23-24-26-27-28-30. Since the center distance for the cone shaft to leadscrew is the same as that for the two range selector shafts, the tooth counts for any meshing gear, such as the output to the leadcsrew, adds up to 48. This eliminates 30/30. It also eliminates 30/18 because that would require the screw gear to be 66.667 teeth, a rare gear indeed. 28/20 is still a possibility but the most reasonable would be 24/24. Without removing the gearbox from the lathe, see if you can determine with which gear in the cone the gear which mounts on the extended leadscrew meshes. 2nd gear from the right is the 28, 5th gear from the right is the 24. If not one of these, try to determine which gear it does mesh with.
                               
                              Still with me?
                               
                              Anthony
                              Berkeley, Calif.
                              **********************************************************
                              In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:06 pm (PST), leibushor writes:
                              Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in your box? Can I assume mine are the same?
                            • anthrhodes
                              Asaf, I just realized That your lathe is a 10K and I was specifically referring to details for a 10L. When I said the internal gears were 14 DP, I m certain
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 9, 2013
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Asaf,
                                 
                                I just realized That your lathe is a 10K and I was specifically referring to details for a 10L. When I said the internal gears were 14 DP, I'm certain that doesn't apply to your gearbox, however everything else I've said is valid. The tooth counts are the same for both 10K and 10L and the question of which gear in the cone provides final drive is still valid. If you can determine which gear in the cone drives the gear on the leadscrew the correct screw gear can be determined. At this point the most likely possibilities are 56 or 40.
                                 
                                My apologies for the confusion.
                                Anthony
                                Berkeley, Calif.
                                *********************************************
                                In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:06 pm (PST), leibushor writes:
                                Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in your box? Can I assume mine are the same?
                              • leibushor
                                Thank you again. I think my lathe is 10R (?) , which is supposed to be like the 10L but with slightly smaller spindle. But I might be wrong. Thank you for your
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Thank you again.
                                  I think my lathe is 10R (?) , which is supposed to be like the 10L but with slightly smaller spindle. But I might be wrong.
                                  Thank you for your reply.

                                  Asaf


                                  --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Asaf,
                                  >
                                  > I just realized That your lathe is a 10K and I was specifically referring
                                  > to details for a 10L. When I said the internal gears were 14 DP, I'm certain
                                  > that doesn't apply to your gearbox, however everything else I've said is
                                  > valid. The tooth counts are the same for both 10K and 10L and the question
                                  > of which gear in the cone provides final drive is still valid. If you can
                                  > determine which gear in the cone drives the gear on the leadscrew the correct
                                  > screw gear can be determined. At this point the most likely possibilities
                                  > are 56 or 40.
                                  >
                                  > My apologies for the confusion.
                                  > Anthony
                                  > Berkeley, Calif.
                                  > *********************************************
                                  >
                                  > In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:06 pm (PST), leibushor writes:
                                  >
                                  > Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like
                                  > I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its
                                  > mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in
                                  > your box? Can I assume mine are the same?
                                  >
                                • Nelson Collar
                                  Pictures would be nice. Like they say one picture is worth a thousand words. ________________________________ From: leibushor To:
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Pictures would be nice. Like they say one picture is worth a thousand words.


                                    From: leibushor <leibushor@...>
                                    To: southbend10k@yahoogroups.com
                                    Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:46 PM
                                    Subject: [southbend10k] Re: Identify Missing Parts

                                     

                                    Thank you again.
                                    I think my lathe is 10R (?) , which is supposed to be like the 10L but with slightly smaller spindle. But I might be wrong.
                                    Thank you for your reply.

                                    Asaf

                                    --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:
                                    >
                                    > Asaf,
                                    >
                                    > I just realized That your lathe is a 10K and I was specifically referring
                                    > to details for a 10L. When I said the internal gears were 14 DP, I'm certain
                                    > that doesn't apply to your gearbox, however everything else I've said is
                                    > valid. The tooth counts are the same for both 10K and 10L and the question
                                    > of which gear in the cone provides final drive is still valid. If you can
                                    > determine which gear in the cone drives the gear on the leadscrew the correct
                                    > screw gear can be determined. At this point the most likely possibilities
                                    > are 56 or 40.
                                    >
                                    > My apologies for the confusion.
                                    > Anthony
                                    > Berkeley, Calif.
                                    > *********************************************
                                    >
                                    > In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:06 pm (PST), leibushor writes:
                                    >
                                    > Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like
                                    > I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its
                                    > mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in
                                    > your box? Can I assume mine are the same?
                                    >



                                  • leibushor
                                    I uploaded pictures under Photos -- 10R Lathe .
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      I uploaded pictures under "Photos --> 10R Lathe".

                                      --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Nelson Collar wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Pictures would be nice. Like they say one picture is worth a thousand words.
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________
                                      > From: leibushor
                                      > To: southbend10k@yahoogroups.com
                                      > Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:46 PM
                                      > Subject: [southbend10k] Re: Identify Missing Parts
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >  
                                      >
                                      > Thank you again.
                                      > I think my lathe is 10R (?) , which is supposed to be like the 10L but with slightly smaller spindle. But I might be wrong.
                                      > Thank you for your reply.
                                      >
                                      > Asaf
                                      >
                                      > --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@ wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Asaf,
                                      > >
                                      > > I just realized That your lathe is a 10K and I was specifically referring
                                      > > to details for a 10L. When I said the internal gears were 14 DP, I'm certain
                                      > > that doesn't apply to your gearbox, however everything else I've said is
                                      > > valid. The tooth counts are the same for both 10K and 10L and the question
                                      > > of which gear in the cone provides final drive is still valid. If you can
                                      > > determine which gear in the cone drives the gear on the leadscrew the correct
                                      > > screw gear can be determined. At this point the most likely possibilities
                                      > > are 56 or 40.
                                      > >
                                      > > My apologies for the confusion.
                                      > > Anthony
                                      > > Berkeley, Calif.
                                      > > *********************************************
                                      > >
                                      > > In a message dated Thu Feb 7, 2013 11:06 pm (PST), leibushor writes:
                                      > >
                                      > > Thank you very much Anthony. That helps a lot. Unfortunatly it sounds like
                                      > > I will need to take the gear box out to determine the leadscrew and its
                                      > > mating one. If your gear box is like mine (70 ratio?) what are those gears in
                                      > > your box? Can I assume mine are the same?
                                      > >
                                      >
                                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.