Special Spindle Size

  • leibushor
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
      Hi, I am new to the group. I recently bought a heavy 10 on a local auction without seeing the lathe (risky but a good price). When I got it and measure the spindle through bore it measure 1 1/4" on the back (instead of 1 3/8"). Threre is a taper on the front side of the spindle. There is an airforce badge on the lathe and the serial number is: 4827RKX12. From looking around I notice that the "X" meant for a special spindle.
      Anyone saw this kind of spindle before?
      Anyone know what is the taper size?
      Can I still use 5c collets (I intended to buy).
      What can be the reason for someone asking for a speacial smaller spindle in the first place?
    • Bob Wright
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013
        Take a few pics of the spindle...Bob
        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "leibushor" wrote:

        > Hi, I am new to the group. I recently bought a heavy 10 on a local auction without seeing the lathe (risky but a good price). When I got it and measure the spindle through bore it measure 1 1/4" on the back (instead of 1 3/8"). Threre is a taper on the front side of the spindle. There is an airforce badge on the lathe and the serial number is: 4827RKX12. From looking around I notice that the "X" meant for a special spindle.
        > Anyone saw this kind of spindle before?
        > Anyone know what is the taper size?
        > Can I still use 5c collets (I intended to buy).
        > What can be the reason for someone asking for a speacial smaller spindle in the first place?

      • Joe Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013

          I also have a heavy 10 that came from an AF base in south Texas.  It has a D1 – 3 spindle with a 1 ¼” thru hole.  The inside of the thru hole has machining marks and the taper is different than the 1 3/8” spindle on my other heavy 10.  That spindle has threads.  I found a reference in Lathes UK regarding SB making special order D1 – spindles.  The lathe has a 4 foot bed with taper attachment.  The model no is different than what my SB catalogue shows.  The spindle drawbar needs 1 3/8” thruhole.

          Joe Smith

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 25, 2013

            notice that the "X" meant for a special spindle.

            No the “X” is not meant for a special spindle it is meant for a special. That could be anything from a flame hardened bed to a paint color.

            All the spindles have a taper on the front end.

            The Heavy 10, 10L version (there is also a 10R version) would have a normal taper of 0.602” per foot with a large diameter of  1.629.

            On the other hand the 10R would have a taper of  0.623” per foot with a large end diameter of  1.231”.

            Now do you have yet a different taper?

            Look carefully; do you have and insert in the spindle? All the spindles need an insert for collets. The collets have very heavy tapers?

            Jim B.
            Owner
            http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendheavy10/
            co-owner.
            NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
            moderator
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
            Projects_For_Home_Shop_Metal_Fabricators

          • leibushor
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
              Thank you for your reply. It sounds like the one you have. Mine also came with a taper attachment. So what kind of tapers / collets can I use with this spindle? Will I have to built a custom drowbar? Will a 3 teeth standard chuck will fit into the spindle head?
              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                Yes. it make sence. I just figure the "x" meant for the spindle b/c it has a special spindle. I am trying to get the 4 teeth chuck out from the spindle to have a better look but having some problems with that. Thats a bit off topic, but what am I doing wrong: I opened the lock nut around the thread, put it on back gear and trying to spin the chuck out. Is this the way I am suppose to do it? Is this a regular left hand thread (turn to left to open)?
                again, sorry for the ignorence... I am not sure how aggresive I should be with it. The way I got the lathe it looks like it was sitting around at leas 15-20 years, so it could be stuck harder in there (though everything else move smooth.
                Thanks

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                  I'll do that later on today, when the sun is out.

                  --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Wright" wrote:

                  > Take a few pics of the spindle...Bob
                  > --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "leibushor" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, I am new to the group. I recently bought a heavy 10 on a local auction without seeing the lathe (risky but a good price). When I got it and measure the spindle through bore it measure 1 1/4" on the back (instead of 1 3/8"). Threre is a taper on the front side of the spindle. There is an airforce badge on the lathe and the serial number is: 4827RKX12. From looking around I notice that the "X" meant for a special spindle.
                  > > Anyone saw this kind of spindle before?
                  > > Anyone know what is the taper size?
                  > > Can I still use 5c collets (I intended to buy).
                  > > What can be the reason for someone asking for a speacial smaller spindle in the first place?

                • Eggleston Lance
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Do NOT be aggressive with the back gear locked.
                    If you break a tooth on the gear, you will not be happy.

                    search the archives at Southbendlathe
                    for "stuck chuck"

                    This problem comes up often.

                    lance
                    ++++

                    On Jan 26, 2013, at 1:30 PM, leibushor wrote:

                    I'll do that later on today, when the sun is out.

                  • Ed Rosen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013
                      There are files on safe techniques for stuck chuck removal  -- start with kroil or your favorite monkey jelly

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 26, 2013

                        If this is a D1-3 setup it does not unscrew. Its got 3 pins and they are locked in by cam’s.

                        Here is a thread on the subject.

                        http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/removing-d1-3-spindle-cams-98480/

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                          Sorry for the delay. I took some pictures but how do you up load them to the group? It is probably simpler that I think, but I can not find any attachment option.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 6, 2013
                            Thank you. It helped me a lot.