RE: [southbend10k] Hoping to own one soon

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
      Jim, thanks for correcting me. Now all I have to do is remember that.

      Chris

      This email has been sent by the Moderator:

      SouthBendLathe9
      SouthBendLathe9A
      SouthBendManual
      Lathe_Tooling_and_Uses
      SouthBendLathe2
      SouthBend10K
      LoganLathe
      MachinistProjects

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
        10K spindles are bronze bearing
        Most of SB 9 rear drive are cast iron bearings

        One question arose a few minutes ago:   10K lathe will run with MT3 tooling with one little reserve

        MT3 collets will likely not work properly.

        I run both 3C and 6K collets on my 10K.   I had to shorten my 3C draw bar by about 1/8" as some didn't close properly  (thread on the collet)

        Guy Cadrin

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
          Lots of help so far. I guess I can just keep my collets to use on my Atlas MFB milling machine. I can sell the #3MT ER40 collet adapter and keep the collet set to use with the proper adapter for the SB.

          Mike

          --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "guycad@..." <guycad@...> wrote:

          > 10K spindles are bronze bearingMost of SB 9 rear drive are cast iron bearings One question arose a few minutes ago: 10K lathe will run with MT3 tooling with one little reserve MT3 collets will likely not work properly. I run both 3C and 6K collets on my 10K. I had to shorten my 3C draw bar by about 1/8" as some didn't close properly (thread on the collet) Guy Cadrin

        • Peter Merriam

            ----------
            href="mailto:southbend10k%40yahoogroups.com">southbend10k@yahoogroups.com

            Subject: [southbend10k] Hoping to own one soon
            > Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012
            03:22:05 -0000

            > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD
            HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
            > Glad to find this group. I have an Atlas 10F but am looking seriously
            at either a Southbend 9" Model A or a 10K. I really need a quickchange gearbox!! I have a line on one of each but can't get the owners to agree on a convenient time to meet as of yet. I have no idea as to the pros and cons of either besides size. I suppose price can be quite a variable too. What thread is on the spindle nose of the 10K? Any advice you folks can offer would be appreciated.

            > Woman is 57
            But Looks 27
            > Mom publishes simple facelift trick that angered
            doctors...

            href="http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/507174af651c774af7299st02vuc">http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/507174af651c774af7299st02vuc

          • Ed S
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
              Doesn't the 10 K have a wider bed?

              ED S

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 7, 2012
                Doesn't the 10 K have a wider bed?

                ED S

                Absolutely not! Its exactly the same as the Workshop 9

                Jim B.
                Sent from my Razr  DROID Maxx
              • guycad@netzero.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 9, 2012
                  I just tested my 3C  SB draw bar with 3AT collets on my SB 10K

                  It works. There are about 5 thread turns that grab the collet.

                  Absolutely not! Its exactly the same as the Workshop 9

                  Jim B.
                  Sent from my Razr  DROID Maxx

                  Woman is 53 But Looks 25
                  ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
                • anthrhodes@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2012
                    guycad (unusual name, masculine I suppose),

                    Per Hardinge drawings:
                    3AT = 41/64 = 0.640625"
                    3C = 0.640"

                    Using one drawbar on the other collet isn't good practice, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

                    Anthony
                    Berkeley, Calif.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 11, 2012
                      It is the first time I ever thought about trying that.

                      I have a full set of 3C collets for my atlas lathe, and one 3AT collet with the closer that I never used.

                      I have both original SB  3C and 6K collet  draw bars.

                      I have never used the 3AT collet for work on either one of my lathe.

                      On my South Bend, most of the time I use 6K collets   (I got it by 16th)

                      If I need by 32nd or 64th, then I use 3C collets

                      Your point about thread size is interesting.  I should measure 3C and 3AT threads with 3 wire method.

                      Guy Cadrin