RE: [southbend10k] Fw: Turning Thin Disks on the Lathe

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2012

    That is quite useful as long as you need to turn the O D. But suppose you need to face a thin blank or bore the I D.

    In those cases I use a pot collet. That is a soft collet that you machine to size.

    Several months ago I was making some special T-nuts out of 304 I parted a sawed off the bar but needed to set the thickness.

    Here is my process.

    Jim B.
    Owner
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendheavy10/
    co-owner.
    NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
    moderator
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
    Projects_For_Home_Shop_Metal_Fabricators

  • Chris
    Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2012
      Yeah, I think work holding techniqes are a chapter sized topic; maybe even a complete book! :-)

      This email has been sent by the Moderator:

      SouthBendLathe9
      SouthBendLathe9A
      SouthBendManual
      Lathe_Tooling_and_Uses
      SouthBendLathe2
      SouthBend10K
      LoganLathe
      MachinistProjects

      Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2012
        Yup, that's useful too. If someone doesn't mind the mess made from turning wood, a tight
        grained (especially interlocking grain) wood make cheap chucking for every imaginable oddball operation. Of course, light cuts will be in order.