SOUTH BEND 11 1938 APRON LOCK

  • RICHARD FRANKLIN
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19 1:06 PM
    MY SB 11 IS MISSING THE LOCK OR ITS THIS PIECE THAT I FOUND IN THE CHIP TRY WHEN I BOUGHT THE LATHE THAT IS BROKEN. I HAVE NOT FOUND WHERE THIS IS BROKEN FROM AND THINK THIS MIGHT BE IT BUT NOT SURE.. THANKS MUCH RICHARD
    Message 2 of 9 , Feb 19 1:17 PM

      That looks more like ½ of a tailstock clamp.

      Jim B.
      Owner
      http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendheavy10/
      co-owner.
      NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
      moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
      Projects_For_Home_Shop_Metal_Fabricators

    • estimator33@yahoo.com
      Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19 1:28 PM
        Richard, as I recall, when I had my 1936 11" carriage apart, what you are looking for is a flat pce, about 3/8" thick....1.5" square with a 3/8"X 3/8" square taken out of one corner.

        gp

        Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19 1:29 PM
          Let me know if you think you might like to make one.....I'll yank my carriage apart and get the measurements.

          Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19 2:07 PM

            Similar ones also hold the head stock, front and rear. Do you have both?

            Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19 2:09 PM
              ya as soon as i get this machine back together it will be one of my first jobs i will do on the lathe. so if you could send me a print of it and i will get to machining a new lock. thanks Richard  rattricky@...

              Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19 2:51 PM
              jim all the hold downs are there on the machine besides the one on the apron that is missing. There was no threads on the broken piece so im not even sure it was from this machine as i have not found any thing broken but i have not taken the apron apart yet for inspection :( but it only one of two things i have left in my lathe to work on is my gear box and apron.every thing else is back together :)  but i did find some thing here i didnt notice before is a oil leak from the end of the shaft on the lower pulley . now i see why the wheel was so dirty when i took it apart for the clean up and new motor install. every thing spun good no bad i seen from the inspection so im wondering if im looking at a new problem. help please

              Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19 3:16 PM
                That really does not look like a worrisome leak to me.  Remember the reservoirs on that shaft are supposed to be filled every day.  The oil is expected to go somewhere.

                Message 9 of 9 , Feb 19 3:19 PM
                  true