RE: [southbend10k] Making a reversed live center.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012

    Hi Bob:

    When turning tapers with an “offset tailstock” I use balls on both ends.

    Gives better bearing

    Here is a pix of the front. I don’t press the bearing because I may want to change the size.

    In the tailstock, I use a small boring head wit ah offset center, using a ball again.

    I use the boring head adjustment to set the taper accurately.

    I don’t have a taper attachment. Some day I will make on.

    Second pix is the offset center.  Again I use loose balls. Perhaps I should make a live one. I will try that next time.

    Jim B.
    Owner
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendheavy10/
    co-owner.
    NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
    moderator
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
    Projects_For_Home_Shop_Metal_Fabricators

  • Bob Wright
    Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
      Hi Jim. This center is just to hold the pointed end of the plumb bobs i am making. They are held in my collet chuck on the big end and i can't hold the pointed end while i work on the middle section. I will post some pics in a few days...Bob