Newest Member of the Group

  • Vernon Tuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 270 KB
    Guys,

    At age 62, and with a life-time (until now) unrequited interest in machine tools and machining, I am a happy new lathe owner. I joined this group a few days ago, even before I bought the lathe. I am so clueless as to lathes in general and as to SBs in particular, that I'm not even sure my critter is a "Heavy 10" but I think it is.

    Provided I figure out how to do so, I'm about to post a picture of the machine. I will appreciate any comments you may care to share. The machine appears to be incomplete but the seller may yet cough up some of the apparently missing accessories. If not, I will be looking for your guidance in coming weeks as to what to buy for it and what I should expect to pay.

    Sincerely,

    Vern
    Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
      On 12/7/2011 8:57 PM, Vernon Tuck wrote:
      > Provided I figure out how to do so, I'm about to post a picture of the
      > machine. I will appreciate any comments you may care to share. The
      > machine appears to be incomplete but the seller may yet cough up some
      > of the apparently missing accessories. If not, I will be looking for
      > your guidance in coming weeks as to what to buy for it and what I
      > should expect to pay.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Vern
      It does look more like a Heavy 10 or 10L rather than a Light 10 or 10K,
      If so its a later 10L because it has a stamped metal base and a two
      lever gearbox.

      On the bed, at the tailstock end perhaps even under the tailstock will
      be the serial number. if you publish that I can give you more information.

      Also Welcome to the group

      Owner:
    • Chris
      Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
        Welcome Vern.
        Yes, that appears to be a Heavy 10. Currently, it appears to have what is probably a 5C collet sleeve and spindle nose protector installed. Is there a lever attached to the outboard (left end) of the spindle? Is the Tail Stock missing or did you remove it?

        Please post the serial number of your lathe. It's stamped on the tail stock end of your front bed way.
        Chris

        This email has been sent by the Moderator:
        SouthBendLathe9
        SouthBendLathe9A
        SouthBendManual
        SouthBendLathe4
        SouthBendLathe3
        SouthBendLathe2
        SouthBend10K
        LoganLathe (Not Scott Logan's LatheList)
        MachinistProjects

        Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2011
          Welcome Vern.  +1 on it being a Heavy 10.
          I like the collet rack. Did it come with a taper attachment as well?

          Nelson
          Part of the team at: