RE: [southbend10k] SOUTHBEND HEAVY TEN RESTORE

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 28 KB

    >I can only tell you that SB used baked powder coating and they were all a shade of blue...

    If so not the kind of powder coating we think of today. It may have been baked but it was enamel.

    Prior to 1934(ish) all SB lathes were black. A process called Japaning.

    In the 1934 to 1939 period they used a Grey-Green color.

    Starting around 1939 the color changed to a grey-Blue color. That is what your Heavy 10 might have had.

     However SB changed paint vendors yearly depending on who had the best price and the shade varied.

    People have found sections of their lathe where a plate covered the original paint and had chips matched .

    Here is one such formula attached. This is more to the blue side.

    This Came from a thread on the Practical Machinist board

    Here is another color match which is a bit more to the grey

    “The paint is Benjamin Moore Urethane Alkyd Industrial Enamel tinted as follows: M22-3B + OY-4, BK-28, BB-2, GY-4, WH-1X Per Quart”

    .

    It may be found here:

    http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/lathe/lathe_paint.html

    It would be a good thing to read the above thread and also be aware that SB would paint you lathe any color you wanted at extra cost.

    I have been using the above BM color and its close to my 10L but not my SB Drill Press. I think I like the Color from the PM thread a bit better.

    Jim B.
    Owner
    http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendheavy10/
    co-owner.
    NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
    moderator
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
    Projects_For_Home_Shop_Metal_Fabricators

  • Tony Manx
    Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2011
      Hello Richard,
              Congratulations on your good deal!  If you are interested in a threading dial, I have one for a Heavy Ten that I want to sell.  If interested contact me direct at nedts6  at yahoo.com