Probably Rare

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2011
    • davesmith1800
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
        It looks great on paper
        Bad news I saw that type new.
        The Americana type tool post work just good and the quick change came about the same time.
        Even today on some work I will use the Americana type tool post.

        Dave

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cjstrazz@...> wrote:

        > I'm not certain but I believe this SB tool post is a fairly rare bird.
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIG-SOUTH-BEND-9-10K-LATHE-10-1-TOOL-POST-HOLDER-/370527270079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56452574bf

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
          Dave, I don't understand your statement. This is an original American made SB part.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
            South Bend never made a Tool post that was much good for any kind of production work. The lantern post is good for one off work and repair work. It was really good in the 30's and 40's when tool bits were really expensive and using a 1/4 tool was a lot cheaper than a half inch one. It was supplied with about every lathe of every make from about 1912 on. The first production tool post I ever used on a SB lathe was a Frye holder, great for changing tools but still needed shims to set hight. Along came Aloris and stole the show with its quick hight adjustment.
             Four position turret tool posts were a pain in the neck.  Hight adjustment with shims were a problem and they were hard to get into the end of a piece of work if you were using a center in the tail stock. The were quick indexing but the indexing was not very accurate after they were used a while.  South Bend had a habit of coming out with tooling that was several years behind the market and the tool post shown was another example of that.  I think!
                South Bend turret lathes were great little machines for shorter runs of parts that did not require a lot of metal removal.  They were quick and easy to set up when tooled right.  With sleeve spindle baerings fine finishes could be gotten if tool edges were honed right so the tip of the tool bridged the feed rate.
                In my instrument shop in the 60s we got so good at running those cheap little lathes that we stayed in buisness running in competition with shops using High quality a machines like Rivet and Monarch as time went along we could afford the more expensive machines and of course I bought them.  It was South Bend lathes that payed for the first ones and they also paid for our first NC machines.  So I am not knocking South Bend at all.  It had it's place and often it was in new shops where buying machinery was so hard at first.  We used 10 K machines.
            Doug

            On 08/09/2011 11:22 AM, Chris wrote:

            Dave, I don't understand your statement. This is an original American made SB part.

            Chris

            The Americana type tool post work just good and the quick change came about the same time.
            Even today on some work I will use the Americana type tool post.

            Dave

            --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cjstrazz@...> wrote:

            > I'm not certain but I believe this SB tool post is a fairly rare bird.
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIG-SOUTH-BEND-9-10K-LATHE-10-1-TOOL-POST-HOLDER-/370527270079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56452574bf

          • Douglas Pollard

            Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
              The lantern post was call a long time ago Americana type tool post.

              Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
                Hi Doug,

                I commented on this tool post because it's not nearly as common as original SB lantern types. In other words it has historic significance. No opinion regarding usability was intended. :-)

                Chris

                Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
                  Oh, OK Dave. I got ya now.

                  Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9, 2011
                    Doug, I'll add that there's something about a SB that conveys warmth, even though it's cast iron and steel. Modern machines convey cold... Go figure? The interesting thing is that SB (as you said) made you feel that way back when they were brand new! :-)

                    Chris