Re: [southbend10k] South Bend Lathe Model

  • annbill.mayo@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2011

    Thanks.  I really appreciate the responses so I will pass on this lathe.  I have couple of play toy lathes to continue to learn on.  I have a HF 7X10 that I am adding an 8" bed extension to the end of it.  I will extend the leed screw and add a second rack for the carriage.   I also have a Craftsman 109-0703 toy lathe that looks new.  I am adding a DC motor and controller to the 109.  I modified a 10" steady rest with ball bearing arms (cut 4" off the lower half and welded a new base) to fit both the Craftsman and the HF 7X10 lathes.

    I have been retired for 8 1/2 years and rebuild Shopsmith equipment (over 150 headstocks) for customers.  I have limited metal working capability and knowledge but have fun play with what I have.   I also have modified a Shopsmith for a specific machining task (attachments).  I was able to tighten up the Shopsmith quill to where I can machine the Control Sheave (varies the speed) for additional depth (aluminum sleeve) so I have more room to stake the bearing the moves the Contol Sheave.   The bearing pulling out of the Control Sheave is a major problem so this helps.  I have made many changes and modifications to the Shopsmith since I retired.

    I am needing to find a larger metal lathe so I can machine for adding additional bearings to Shopsmith equipment 35mm-52mm OD & 11mm - 15mm width.  I have tried 4 different machine shops in the past 5 years.  The samples they did were .002-.006" off centered and some were too large and/or too deep.  I have around 50 of these quills (1 3/4" OD & 8" long) to machine so I am looking at a $1000 - $1200 to invest in a new or used lathe.  Any that you would recommend I look at?   I am quite good with shimming material but never figured out how to fix the off-centered condition.  I have been unable to find a double row ball bearing (5/8" (ID)  X 35mm (OD) or 5/8" (ID)  X 40mm (OD)) in place of 2 individual bearings.

    Thanks for the responses and any help you can can provide.  Have a great week.

    Bill Mayo   www.billstoolz.com

    Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2011

      Try to find either a SB Heavy 10 or a SB 13.” Get on with a longer bed say 48” or longer. These should be in your price range.

      Jim B.
      Owner
      southbendheavy10@yahoogroups.com
      co-owner.
      NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com

    • Bill
      Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2011
        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Jim B. " <btdtrf@...> wrote:

        > Try to find either a SB Heavy 10 or a SB 13." Get on with a longer bed say 48" or longer. These should be in
        > your price range.
        >

        > Jim B.
        > Owner
        > southbendheavy10@yahoogroups.com
        > co-owner.
        > NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com

        Thanks for the excellant advise. If anyone in the southeast USA know of one of these lathes for sale in the next couple of years, I would appreciate it if you could notify me (annbill.mayo@...).

        Bill
        www.billstoolz.com
      • kabowers@NorthState.net
        Message 4 of 9 , Jun 19, 2011
          On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:48:51 -0000, you wrote:

          >--- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Jim B. " <btdtrf@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Try to find either a SB Heavy 10 or a SB 13." Get on with a longer bed say 48" or longer. These should be in
          >> your price range.
          >>

          >> Jim B.
          >> Owner
          >> southbendheavy10@yahoogroups.com
          >> co-owner.
          >> NJ_LoganLatheOwners@yahoogroups.com
          >>

          >Thanks for the excellant advise. If anyone in the southeast USA know of one of these lathes for sale in the next couple of years, I would appreciate it if you could notify me (annbill.mayo@...).
          >
          >Bill
          >www.billstoolz.com

          FWIW:
          href="http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tls/2446974069.html"

          Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
        • Bill
          Message 5 of 9 , Jul 10, 2011
            The only South Bend lathes I have seen on Craig's List within 300 miles of me is the 9" "A" South Bend Lathes. I missed one at $400 locally as he had many calls on it within 15 minutes. Most of the 9" "A" are in the $700-$1000 range. The few 10" to 13" SB I found on Craig's List are all up in the north or west sections of the US.

            I have a lot of woodworking equipment for trading purposes if anyone is interested. Thanks for letting me know abount any SB for sale.