Re: My first machining video

  • Bob Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      Yes Chris just my dull carbide i have been using for a while. Its time to change it because i dropped it and broke the point off...Bob

      --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cjstrazz@...> wrote:

      > Bob, is that a carbide cutter? I really can't tell from the video; too many chips in the way. :-)
    • Michael Muha
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        I thought that was carbide.  I have used carbide tools on my 10k for well over 20 years with great results, both the cheap brazed variety and fancy insert types.  So much for those who claim you can't use carbide on these older slow spindle-speed machines!  They can talk all they want, but can't argue with success.

        Regards,

        Mike

        Yes Chris just my dull carbide i have been using for a while. Its time to change it because i dropped it and broke the point off...Bob

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Chris <cjstrazz@...> wrote:

        > Bob, is that a carbide cutter? I really can't tell from the video; too many chips in the way. :-)

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            southbend10k-digest@yahoogroups.com
            southbend10k-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bob Wright
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
          I use both. I use carbide when i want to remove steel fast. I have about 2,000 inserts so i might as well use them up. I like HSS for custom cuts and some jobs. I ran a late 1800's Boyes and Emmes for 5 years 5 days a week and it had carbide cutters on it. I even use it on my shaper with the brazed tips and i was the guy who said it couldn't be done. The same carbide tool bit that made shapers obsolete wakes it up too...Bob