Spindle key?

  • Toney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
      Hi all,

      Forgive me if I don't have the right terminology,
      I hope I can make myself clear.

      Inside the headstock spindle, underneath the chuck
      threads, is a key. What is it's purpose? It clears
      anything with a #3 Morse Taper shank that is installed
      into the headstock, as well as the collet adapter.

      Regards, Tony M.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        I believe you are talking ab out the key that engages the slot on the 6K
        collet.
        this collet has a grove on the taper. It is accepted by the spindle
        without an adapter.
        It was specifically designed for the 10K lathe.
        You can get new ones from Jeff Beck at
        www.tools4cheap.net

        at a reasonable price.
        I have a set by 64's that have taken me 5 years to collect.
        the largest diameter is 5/8" which is still bigger than the 3C.

        Jim B.
      • Peter Wass
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
          Tony,

          The only key in the Spindle is in the Collet Adapter. This key is to keep the collets from turning in the adapter. There is a Key way on collets that ride on that key. That adapter fits inside the spindle on a taper and can be removed by tapping it out fom the rear of the spindle with the collet closer or a piece of Hardwood dowel or aluminum drift.

          Hope this helps.

          Pete

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
              Yes the 6K uses a different draw bar than the 3C.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
                Jeff's collets are made for him. They are not Shars.
                I have had bad experiences with Shars and do not buy from them.
                the 9/16 3C is like a step collet. You cannot stuff a 9/16 rod through
                it into the spindle.
                With the 6K 5/8 you can.
                I have one of Jeff's 9/16. I also have a 19/32 and a 17/32 DoAll 3C.
                these are also step collets.

                Jim B.