Oiler holes not drilled thru

  • carsonturncliff
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      True to John's experience on my 10K bulit in 1964 the holes that the instructions said were there did not go thru. I spent some time trying to get a piece of piano wire thru but the hole bottomed out about an inch in. I finally drilled thru so I could get a piece of 3/32 rod in to hole down the oilers. Had so spend some tedious time doing a thorough clean up of drill chips, make sure you blow throuh the holes with compressed air to clean everything out.
      Carson
    • jdunbar_4
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
        When I place a piece of wire into the holes they are angled at about a 45 degree and if drilled out would end up into the bronze sleeve not the oil hole. I was wondering if I compressed the spring enough, could I enter the wire through the oil hole? My only concern is that I would be poking the wire into the side of the capillary oiler and possibly damaging the wick. Any thoughts?

        John

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "carsonturncliff" <carsonturncliff@...> wrote:

        > True to John's experience on my 10K bulit in 1964 the holes that the instructions said were there did not go thru. I spent some time trying to get a piece of piano wire thru but the hole bottomed out about an inch in. I finally drilled thru so I could get a piece of 3/32 rod in to hole down the oilers. Had so spend some tedious time doing a thorough clean up of drill chips, make sure you blow throuh the holes with compressed air to clean everything out.
        > Carson

      • Bob Wright
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2009
          I just unscrewed the two oilers and poked a wire right thru the hole and into the side of the felt, it didn't hurt a thing...Bob

          --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "jdunbar_4" <jdunbar_4@...> wrote:

          > When I place a piece of wire into the holes they are angled at about a 45 degree and if drilled out would end up into the bronze sleeve not the oil hole. I was wondering if I compressed the spring enough, could I enter the wire through the oil hole? My only concern is that I would be poking the wire into the side of the capillary oiler and possibly damaging the wick. Any thoughts?
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "carsonturncliff" <carsonturncliff@> wrote:
          > >
          > > True to John's experience on my 10K bulit in 1964 the holes that the instructions said were there did not go thru. I spent some time trying to get a piece of piano wire thru but the hole bottomed out about an inch in. I finally drilled thru so I could get a piece of 3/32 rod in to hole down the oilers. Had so spend some tedious time doing a thorough clean up of drill chips, make sure you blow throuh the holes with compressed air to clean everything out.
          > > Carson

        • eng4turns
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
            John, that's what I had to do with my bronze bearing headstock because the little holes weren't drilled through and even if they had been, the bronze bearing shell was in the way. Remove the oiler cups and use those holes. It won't hurt the felt wick to stick a small pointy thing into them.

            Ed in Florida

          • jdunbar_4@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2009
              Is there a trick to get the spindle in, it seems much tighter than it was coming out.

              Thank you for all the support, it is greatly appreciated.

              John

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: "eng4turns" <eng4turns@...>
              Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:00:36 -0000