Thinking....Of building a bench grinder from a SB headstock.

  • Bob Wright
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
      I have an old SB 9" headstock and i am thinking of making a 8" bench
      grinder out of it. I can make a shaft that will fit into the old
      spindle spot and put a pulley in the middle of it and i have a pile of
      electric motors to choose from. I have a Craftsman POS that vibrates
      everything off the wall when it runs and thats how it was out of the
      box...Bob
    • Chris Strazzeri
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
        That's just not right Bob.You must have some other material available to you?

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008

          Just remember that the max spindle speed is low.

          Jim B.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
            ive  been  making  that  point  mr.  jim
            to  the  guys  that  want  to  put  a vfd  on  their   lathes.
            i  think  the  10k  bearings can  handle a  higher  top  speed  then
            the  9"  workshop  cast  iron  bearings

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
              a  new  bench grinder  is  availible  cheaply
              sell  the  headsock  and  buy   a  direct  drive  grinder

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                Bob, why don't you just machine threaded arbors to fit the motors that you have?

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008

                  According to Turk The segmented CI bearings are good to about 1400 rpm.

                  Jim B.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                    what about  the  brass/  broze  bearings  used  in  other  sb  lathes.
                    another  point i  made is  that  at  high speeds  good  lubrication  is  mandatory.  "good  oiling  felts  and  the proper  spindle  oil"
                    did  the  top oiler   9"  sb  i  had years  ago   have  oiling felts??
                    also at  high  speeds  the  bearings  might start  running  hot  after  a  long  continuous high  speed  run.
                    some  people seem  to  believe  high  spindle  speeds  are
                    important  modern  imported work shop  sized  lathes  have
                    high  top  speeds  "ie.  2400  rpm"
                    but  are  lacking  low   back gear  speeds.
                    if  you  cant find  a  good  used  resonably priced  older  lathe
                    look  into the  grizzly  g0602  10x22 like i  bought
                    its  not  in  the class  of a  new    10k quick change.
                    "in  some ways its better"
                    but  its alot  of  machine  and  tooling  for   $995
                    all  i  added  to  it  was a generic  ax100  qc  toolpost
                    im  actually making  parts  on  this lathe for  business  so  i didnt want a project machine.
                    my  minilathe just  couldnt cut  the mustard
                    im not knocking  sb  lathes .my  last  one  was  worn  out
                    i  would stay  away from    the  9x20"  class  lathes,atlas  sears  lathes.   as  you know  im in  chicago the original home  of   logan  and     sheldon  lathes.
                    from  what  im  reading   sb  was  alot  better  then
                    the  smaller  logan  lathes.
                    the  sheldon lathes  might have been better.
                    of the 3  brands  i  believe  sb  was  #1
                    a  good used  9-10"  workshop  bench  lathe is hard  to  find  used   in  the  chicago  area.

                    .

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
                      --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Chris Strazzeri <cjstrazz@...>
                      wrote:

                      > That's just not right Bob.You must have some other material available
                      to you?

                      Well i have some 1" x 4" flatbar i could use for the base and bore some
                      bearing holes in it after welding. Yeah linebore while on the cross
                      slide. Good idea, something i have never done...Bob
                    • Bob Wright
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008
                        Well i bought some Timken tapered roller bearings cheap for my project.
                        I need to order some 3" CRS for some shafting and i will cut the pulley
                        groove in the middle. With a 6" motor pulley i can be at 3450 rpm with
                        a 1725 motor. My 8" wheels are rated at 3600 rpm max.

                        I also loaded a pulley calc in the files section that takes all the
                        brainwork out of the driven and drive pulleys to find the rpm.

                        2 weeks Vacation in 5 days from today for project work.(and
                        honeydo's)..Bob
                      • Chris Strazzeri
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 27, 2008
                          Glad to hear the head stock will remain as such. :-)