drill pad/crotch center

  • abcmg68
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 28, 2007
      In my dreams or my imagination, I think I remember seeing a drilling
      crotch center on a friends SB 10K. Lately, I've been thinking that
      would be a nice accessory. Looking in the 3rd edition of HTRAL, I see
      both drill pads and crotch centers listed as accessories.
      Any chance anyone might have a crotch center they'd like to part with?

      I also seem to remember seeing an article about making one. Could
      anyone point me to that?

      Thanks.

      Alan
    • Ed Godwin
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2007
        I've seen crotch pads with MT2 tapers on EBay quite often. Once in a
        while, I'll see a flat drill pad too.

        Also look around at the wood lathe auctions. Crotch pads and the like
        are fairly common items there, I think?

        Ed in Florida

        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "abcmg68" <alcostich@...> wrote:

        > In my dreams or my imagination, I think I remember seeing a drilling
        > crotch center on a friends SB 10K. Lately, I've been thinking that
        > would be a nice accessory. Looking in the 3rd edition of HTRAL, I see
        > both drill pads and crotch centers listed as accessories.
        > Any chance anyone might have a crotch center they'd like to part
        with?

        > I also seem to remember seeing an article about making one. Could
        > anyone point me to that?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Alan

      • Mosby West
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2007

          I just bought a follower rest for my 10-K.  The holes in the rest casting to mount it are 3/8” diameter but the threaded holes in the carriage are 5/16” diameter.  This makes for a sloppy mounting on the lathe.  Are there suppose to be bushings in the holes to take up the slop?  I checked the army manual but didn’t see anything in the parts listing.  Anyone know anything about this?  This is the telescoping type follower rest.

          Mosby

        • Chet R Biggerstaff
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 8, 2007
            hate to say it but it sounds like youve the heavy 10 follow rest. If
            this is true id be interested in buying it from you as im in need of 1
            as well. Let me know Thanks

            --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "Mosby West" <jmwestiii@...> wrote:

            > I just bought a follower rest for my 10-K. The holes in the rest
            casting to
            > mount it are 3/8" diameter but the threaded holes in the carriage are
            5/16"
            > diameter. This makes for a sloppy mounting on the lathe. Are there
            suppose
            > to be bushings in the holes to take up the slop? I checked the army
            manual
            > but didn't see anything in the parts listing. Anyone know anything
            about
            > this? This is the telescoping type follower rest.
            >
            > Mosby

          • Mosby West
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2007

              The casting number on my rest is 120K1.  According to the army manual this is the correct follower rest for the 10-K.  The casting number for the 10-L rest is 120R1. The center-center distance for the mounting holes is 1.250 in.  Check to see if this is the same on your heavy 10.

              Mosby

            • guycad@netzero.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 8, 2007
                Holes on mine are 0.369" dia.
              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2007

                  I just posted a drawing for  Follower Rest at You can access this file at the URL:
                  9A%2C%209B%20%269C/Followr_Rest_9_and_10K.pdf

                  David Smith

                  --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "guycad@..." <guycad@...> wrote:

                  > Holes on mine are 0.369" dia.

                • Mosby West
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2007

                    Thanks.  That’s a great drawing.

                    Mosby

                    I just posted a drawing for  Follower Rest at You can access this file at the URL:
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/southbendl athe9/files/ Drawing%20on% 209N%20lathe% 20\

                  • guycad@netzero.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 10, 2007
                      Would be nice if you were adding the name of the person that made the drawing in the description.

                      It took about 6 hours to draft the thing.

                      Guy Cadrin
                    • David Smith
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 10, 2007
                        I have add you name to the description
                        Do you have any other drawings on parts

                        David Smith

                        --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, "guycad@..." <guycad@...> wrote:

                        > Would be nice if you were adding the name of the person that made the
                        drawing in the description.

                        > It took about 6 hours to draft the thing.
                        >
                        > Guy Cadrin

                      • Mosby West
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 11, 2007

                          Guy,

                          I saw your name on the drawing. Great job.

                          Mosby

                          Would be nice if you were adding the name of the person that made the drawing in the description.

                          It took about 6 hours to draft the thing.

                          Guy Cadrin

                        • JohnW
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 11, 2007
                            Guy
                            Great drawing!

                            PS It looks like Dave has added your name to the description.

                            JohnW

                            wrote:

                            > Guy,
                            >
                            > I saw your name on the drawing. Great job.
                            >
                            > Mosby
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Ed Godwin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 11, 2007
                              Nice work on the drawing, Guy. Thanks for the great contributions.

                              Ed in Florida

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 11, 2007
                                Off my head, I have the following parts drafted:

                                Pulleys for V belt conversion (original SB pulleys measured)

                                Nose piece for 3C and 3AT collet closer

                                Hand lever draw bar mechanism for Atlas Lathe: easy to modify for South Bend

                                There is some page lay out to do but I am too busy until mid Nov to challenge that on autocad.

                                I don't even have enough time to make chips or cast iron dust. (scraping a master precision straight edge)

                                35 h of work in 3 days......

                                Guy Cadrin
                              • Ed Godwin
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 12, 2007
                                  Guy;

                                  Are you working the three-to-make-one process for the straight
                                  edge? I'd loe to have one about 36-40" with one dovetail edge. The
                                  one I've got is a very nice CI unit about 16" long but it's a flat.

                                  Let us know how it's going, even if off-line.

                                  Ed in Florida

                                • guycad@netzero.net
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 12, 2007
                                    The method I am using in order to scrape it is a mix of flat generation (using 3 flat surfaces like mentioned in Machine tool reconditioning) and the use of a 45� angle straight edge.

                                    I checked my angle straight edge against a 48" straight edge at Plaza Machinery 2 years ago. It was flat. Problem is that it is a little bit flexible.

                                    I have two flat steel bar that I lapped and scraped at the same time I am scraping the Master precision straight edge. As I had at some point the statement that 1 = 2 , 1 = 3 and 2 = 3, I can assume that my flat steel bars have one edge straight. Now I am using those in order to check if there is any bow shape to the surace I am scraping. The 48" angle straight edge is used for the overall surface flatness when the flat bars are used to check that I don't create a bow shaped straight edge.

                                    As a last verification I use a master precision level on the surface and check for angle variations along the surface.

                                    Long lasting process.

                                    Guy Cadrin