My New Lathe

  • jim_mucka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2007
      All,

      My name is Jim Mucka and I just joined the group. I am relatively
      new to machining although I have owned a Unimat 3 lathe for some
      time.

      I model O Scale trains and needed a larger machine for some
      projects. To that end, I bought a South Bend lathe on ebay and have
      uploaded images to a new directory, Jim Mucka Lathe. The seller of
      the lathe listed it a 9" South Bend Lathe but a potential buyer
      corrected him indicating it was a 10K lathe. The seller indicated
      it was a "10K, light 10 South Bend Lathe. From reading here, it
      seems like a 10K and a 10L are two different machines so I am hoping
      someone can clear up what model I have.

      The plate on the gear box has been replaced by a previous owner so
      no luck there. The serial number on the bed appears to
      be "3278KAR7" and I have included an image of the number. I looked
      on the South Bend site but they do not list anything for a
      letter "K" in that position.

      Sorry for the long post but can anyone tell me which model lathe I
      purchased. Also, does anyone know what the "K" indicates? Thanks
      in advance for your help.

      Jim Mucka
    • Chris Strazzeri

        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2007
          Jim,
          a 10" (heavy) lathe has a 2.1/4-8 spindle nose and large bore.
          A 10K has a 1.1/2-8 spindle nose and a small bore for 6K collets.
          The 9" is same, but a MT 3 taper bore (smaller).
          The leter N and K frequently denote 9" and 10K parts respectfullly
          and letter R is the 10" lathe.
          Many parts are shared between the 9 and 10K.
          RichD

          jim_mucka wrote:
          > All,
          >
          > My name is Jim Mucka and I just joined the group. I am relatively
          > new to machining although I have owned a Unimat 3 lathe for some
          > time.
          >
          > I model O Scale trains and needed a larger machine for some
          > projects. To that end, I bought a South Bend lathe on ebay and have
          > uploaded images to a new directory, Jim Mucka Lathe. The seller of
          > the lathe listed it a 9" South Bend Lathe but a potential buyer
          > corrected him indicating it was a 10K lathe. The seller indicated
          > it was a "10K, light 10 South Bend Lathe. From reading here, it
          > seems like a 10K and a 10L are two different machines so I am hoping
          > someone can clear up what model I have.
          >
          > The plate on the gear box has been replaced by a previous owner so
          > no luck there. The serial number on the bed appears to
          > be "3278KAR7" and I have included an image of the number. I looked
          > on the South Bend site but they do not list anything for a
          > letter "K" in that position.
          >
          > Sorry for the long post but can anyone tell me which model lathe I
          > purchased. Also, does anyone know what the "K" indicates? Thanks
          > in advance for your help.
          >
          > Jim Mucka
          >

          > Welcome to the South Bend 10K group. You can ask questions and post your South Bend 10K pics. Please no off topic post's. Thanks. Bob
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Chris Strazzeri

              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2007
                --- In southbend10k@yahoogroups.com, Rich Dean <cmsteam@...> wrote:

                > Jim,
                > a 10" (heavy) lathe has a 2.1/4-8 spindle nose and large bore.
                > A 10K has a 1.1/2-8 spindle nose and a small bore for 6K collets.
                > The 9" is same, but a MT 3 taper bore (smaller).
                > The leter N and K frequently denote 9" and 10K parts respectfullly
                > and letter R is the 10" lathe.
                > Many parts are shared between the 9 and 10K.
                > RichD

                Hi There,

                Just to keep things straight, "Heavy Ten" lathes were available with
                two different threaded spindle sizes. By far, the most popular was
                the 2-1/4"x8tpi and was known as the 10L. There was a 1-7/8"x8tpi
                spindle too. This was the 10R "Heavy Ten." The 10L has a through
                hole just slightly larger than 1-3/8" and the 10R has a through hole
                slightly larger than 1". I believe the 10R was dropped from the South
                Bend Lathe catalogs sometime in the 1950's due to its lack of
                popularity.

                The 10K and the 9 inch "Workshop" lathes both accept Morse #3 tooling
                in the spindle. The 10K looks larger because the end of the spindle
                has been modified so it can accept 6K collets directly into the
                spindle without the need for an adapter. The through hole is slightly
                larger on the 10K.

                The 9 inch "Workshop" uses the 3C collets. The spindle needs an
                adapter in order for them to fit into the spindle.

                6K collets are much less common than the 3C collets and usually
                command a higher price. Because of this, some people use the 3C
                collets and adapter from a 9 inch lathe in their 10K's.

                Good Luck!
                -Blue Chips-
                Webb